Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

I deeply respect you as a human being... Some day I'm gonna make you *Mrs* Buck Turgidson!

Grimey Drawer
I don't get how this would be a scam by op who just made a racist but helpful first post and disappeared without asking any money of anyone

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mantle
May 15, 2004

Worst scam OP ever. He forgot to ask us for money.

rawrr
Jul 28, 2007
Just an over elaborate scheme to sell more whiskey stills guys.

Knyteguy
Jul 6, 2005

YES to love
NO to shirts

Toilet Rascal
I made like $1,000.00 doing this very briefly for not much more than a domain name and some time. I plan to pick it up again eventually. Anyone who thinks this is a scam is an idiot.

Deep State of Mind
Jul 30, 2006

"It was a busy day. I do not remember it all. In the morning, I thought I had lost my wallet. Then we went swimming and either overthrew a government or started a pro-American radio station. I can't really remember."
Fun Shoe
Can someone teach me how to run this scam? I'd like to scam some money. Tia.

Catsplosion
Aug 19, 2007

I am become Dwarf, the destroyer of cats.

Crap posted:

hmm yes *adjusts glasses* these series of numbers and vaguely labeled graphs are definitely hard evidence that this isn't a scam

You're either just trolling or incredibly stupid.

I'm going to go with troll as you post in FYAD. Go back to FYAD kid the adults are talking.

death fromYour pant
Apr 2, 2003
Many online business, including the OP's, collect e-mails from clients and potential clients, with the purpose of advertising to them later.

My question is this, what programs do people use to manage their mailing lists? Excel? Or is there another better program?

rawrr
Jul 28, 2007
I like mailchimp out of all the ones I've tried. They have a free plan that will work for most small businesses.

Devian666
Aug 20, 2008

Take some advice Chris.

Fun Shoe

Catsplosion posted:

I'm going to go with troll as you post in FYAD. Go back to FYAD kid the adults are talking.

There's always a proportion of illiterate goons, I wouldn't get too worried about low effort trolling.

Juanito
Jan 20, 2004

I wasn't paying attention
to what you just said.

Can you repeat yourself
in a more interesting way?
Hell Gem

death fromYour pant posted:

Many online business, including the OP's, collect e-mails from clients and potential clients, with the purpose of advertising to them later.

My question is this, what programs do people use to manage their mailing lists? Excel? Or is there another better program?
Mass emailing is more complicated than just you sending an email to a bunch of people, so you definitely want to use a service like MailChimp or Aweber. These kinds of services will also make the subscriber confirm their subscription, so you have less people complaining about getting emails they don't want.

Dog Blogs Man
Apr 16, 2007

how are you gentlemen i am a god amongst goons

Juanito posted:

Mass emailing is more complicated than just you sending an email to a bunch of people, so you definitely want to use a service like MailChimp or Aweber. These kinds of services will also make the subscriber confirm their subscription, so you have less people complaining about getting emails they don't want.

I think it may even be a legal requirement to make them confirm, if you want it to be 100% legal/legit.

Shoren
Apr 6, 2011

victoria concordia crescit

Dog Blogs Man posted:

I think it may even be a legal requirement to make them confirm, if you want it to be 100% legal/legit.

Legal in what way? Look at your spam folder. I guarantee no one is bringing up legal action against them.

It's good practice to confirm with people that you'll send them emails in the future if they didn't specifically sign up for a mailing list (ie they bought a product from you and that's why you have their email), but it's not required. You could develop a bad reputation if you don't confirm ahead of time is essentially what it boils down to.

mcsuede
Dec 30, 2003

Anyone who has a continuous smile on his face conceals a toughness that is almost frightening.
-Greta Garbo
Confirm is not legally required in the US but is used to reduce spam reporting rates, which can get you banned from various services (mailchimp in particular). ICANN requires an unsubscribe button and that's about it.

However double opt-in is always recommended irrespective of legality as you're much more likely to see good deliverability rates later on. A great trick for this is to get them to reply to an email early on in your drip chain (ask them a simple question), as that will whitelist your mailer in most email clients/services.

Email marketing is the most valuable digital channel, by far -- I highly recommend subscribing to both the Mailchimp and Vero blog/email lists, as they both put out great information.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

Dog Blogs Man posted:

Legality/legitimacy are not my concern; all I care about is the skrilla from manila folders, delivered to my door by poor saps buying into this brilliant "business plan" :twisted:

A Keg
Jan 7, 2014

by Ralp
What are some other good ways to get around spam protection when I spam potential clients?

a Loving Dog
May 12, 2001

more like a Barking Dog, woof!

Catsplosion posted:

I can tell your a growed up from all your posts in the dota, Sims 3, dwarf fortress, Tolkien, legend of korra, hearthstone, titanfall, adventure time, fire emblem, borderlands, futurama, and minecraft threads

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

baquerd
Jul 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

A Keg posted:

What are some other good ways to get around spam protection when I spam potential clients?

Get the consent of anyone you wish to spam first.

Juanito
Jan 20, 2004

I wasn't paying attention
to what you just said.

Can you repeat yourself
in a more interesting way?
Hell Gem

A Keg posted:

Make sure you're using IPs that haven't been blacklisted for spamming. Your emails are almost guaranteed to be blocked/filtered, unless you're using a legit service.

anne frank fanfic
Oct 31, 2005

a Loving Dog posted:

I can tell your a growed up from all your posts in the dota, Sims 3, dwarf fortress, Tolkien, legend of korra, hearthstone, titanfall, adventure time, fire emblem, borderlands, futurama, and minecraft threads

Only a grown up has that much time to game. Kids have responsibilities.

Pumprag
Jan 29, 2013

Snatch Duster posted:

This thread isn't about making money from Adsense, but spending money to sell a product. There is another thread about maximizing revenue in this sub forum, you might be confused.

As for questioning if any goons have made money doing this, I know several. I'll let them come forward to talk about their sites and earnings, but I can post this.

I removed all the sensitive information to protect their privacy, but here you can see Google Analytic's dashboard and its reporting for one of them. Make what you will of it, but if ecom didn't work then why do companies like HayNeedle exist?

I removed them to protect my client's privacy.... I don't think FYAD knows what the definition of scams is.
VVV

Good to see that 33% is "other". Gotta rethink my life choices now.

Snatch Duster
Feb 20, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Pumprag posted:

Good to see that 33% is "other". Gotta rethink my life choices now.

Other, in this case, is small purchase items categories that do not warrant their own individual tracking. However, as you can see in the ROI, it has the highest return at ~4,000%.

EDIT:

Since you are a fyad kid I'll explain it. This client is making ~$7k a month using AdWords alone. In this dashboard I am not tracking ROI that comes from organic, referrals, email, direct, comparison shopping, native ads, or other PPC channels to make money. As for rethinking your life, you probably ought to based off how much time you spend posting and playing video games.

Snatch Duster fucked around with this message at 23:00 on Aug 27, 2014

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

Do you guys have any thoughts as to how Alibaba's entering the US market will affect e-commerce businesses like us?

lx2036
Dec 28, 2012

Quit job, traveling the world.
Wow, so this is what this got reduced to.. Me scamming for email addys... lol.

A few things:

1. Maybe people whom I've talked to personally on SA could chime in about my character.

2. I've also sent out about 30 free books (4HWW) before I stopped and removed it from the thread. (I be surprised if more than two finished the book, not one has contacted me since)

3. Once my site was copied word-for-word the second time, I removed all of the specific data from the OP. (THIS IS WHY YOU CAN'T HAVE NICE THINGS!!!)

4. Thread abandonment was due to me realizing that there are, in general, four types of people:

a. The first are the self motivators that don't need any help at all because they will find a way.
b. The last is the people whom are content with where they are.
c. The third group are people who are not content and want to change, but lack the motivation to carry anything through. (this is the majority of people)
d. The second group are people not content, lack initiative, but are, indeed, motivated. They just need to be shown the door. (helping the initiative)

The trouble is that the second and third groups of people are indistinguishable until tested. And.... It takes a lot of effort from me until I can figure that out. So, I stopped trying.

We even tried a private facebook group to pool advice, that fizzled and died as well.

Anywho, I feel the golden age had passed, but it is still possible to build a business. Albeit, a bit more work than it was a year ago, but still possible. Frankly, it's still the way to go.

If you really want it, you'll find a way. You don't need a post in SA.

Though, a slap in the face would probably be best.

lx2036 fucked around with this message at 03:13 on Sep 6, 2014

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

Wow, I didn't know your site got copied word-for-word. That really sucks dude. I hope you didn't lose much business because of it.

I for one genuinely appreciate the help and guidance you have provided. Because of your original post, I started my own business and I'm getting ready to quit my job so I can focus on it full time. I had read 4HWW before but your post was indeed the slap in the face that made me realize the stuff Ferriss talks about is real. So you have my thanks. :)

lx2036
Dec 28, 2012

Quit job, traveling the world.

enraged_camel posted:

Wow, I didn't know your site got copied word-for-word. That really sucks dude. I hope you didn't lose much business because of it.

I for one genuinely appreciate the help and guidance you have provided. Because of your original post, I started my own business and I'm getting ready to quit my job so I can focus on it full time. I had read 4HWW before but your post was indeed the slap in the face that made me realize the stuff Ferriss talks about is real. So you have my thanks. :)

No worries, once you have a business, you just need to run a better business than the competition. Those guys and the guys after (it happens shockingly often) don't know what
they're doing and are too lazy to learn so pose no threat whatsoever. (if they knew, they's choose a better niche, lol. I don't wish stills on anyone, haha)

And, no poo poo?! I need to go back and read our PMs. I remember your handle, but not specifics.

That's loving awesome man.

I believe you owe me a cake ;)

But seriously, we should catch up some time. I'll PM with contact info.

lx2036 fucked around with this message at 03:29 on Sep 6, 2014

Snatch Duster
Feb 20, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Sure starting up an e-commerce company now is bit harder then 09, but people are still doing it. I know several in this thread that I have given advice to that are succeeding, one is actually killing it. Over last weekend, one made more money then his entire allocated budget for three months. His ROAS is at ~950% currently.

If you can make a decent site, integrate a shopping cart, and can afford $1k in adspend you can make a 300% ROAS easily. That is if you know how to build and optimize AdWords. After that, maybe 10 hours per week and you could be bringing $40k a year at minimum.

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe
When a friend and I were having a slow time this winter with our traditional business we decided to start another side business in ecommerce. We decided that at worst we are out a little cash and time but the upside was huge, even just the learning part. We have turned a corner and are about to start earning decent money from it, and learned a lot and have had fun with it to boot. Your post and the rest here were finally one of those things that convinced us to go for it so thanks for doing it.

i81icu812
Dec 5, 2006
This was a good topic ruined by stupid people. It did convince me to start my own business though. Over 50k sales last month!

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

i81icu812 posted:

This was a good topic ruined by stupid people. It did convince me to start my own business though. Over 50k sales last month!

God drat that's awesome. How much work does it take?

yeah actually they will
Aug 18, 2012

lx2036 posted:

4. Thread abandonment was due to me realizing that there are, in general, four types of people:

a. The first are the self motivators that don't need any help at all because they will find a way.
c. The third group are people who are not content and want to change, but lack the motivation to carry anything through. (this is the majority of people)
d. The second group are people not content, lack initiative, but are, indeed, motivated. They just need to be shown the door. (helping the initiative)

That's the most hosed up ordering I've ever seen

Catsplosion
Aug 19, 2007

a Loving Dog posted:

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

I'm lucky to have enough time to play a few games each week with my job. Sounds like you're... jealous?

If you seriously think somebodies interests show if they are mature or not just proves how immature and childish you are.

Delayed reply due to backpacking around europe, solo, for the past month. Like to see you do something like that.

Catsplosion fucked around with this message at 13:30 on Sep 6, 2014

unixbeard
Dec 29, 2004

I can confirm lx2036 is a cool guy who has been very helpful, going above and beyond providing help and resources to me and I assume anyone else who asked

Sutureself
Sep 23, 2007

Well, here's my answer...
I met with Snatch Duster recently, it turns out we live fairly close by, and the guy really knows what he's talking about. I kind of like my current career so I haven't made another attempt at ecommerce, but I really want to give it another try with the recent things I learned about SEO and adwords.

Right after I make another app or two for my main career portfolio.... :downsgun:

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

Catsplosion posted:

I'm lucky to have enough time to play a few games each week with my job. Sounds like you're... jealous?

If you seriously think somebodies interests show if they are mature or not just proves how immature and childish you are.

Delayed reply due to backpacking around europe, solo, for the past month. Like to see you do something like that.

I'm backpacking around Europe right now and have plenty of time to post :rolleyes:

Catsplosion
Aug 19, 2007

Judge Clayjar posted:

I'm backpacking around Europe right now and have plenty of time to post :rolleyes:

Hence why I posted.

I've been busy the last few days seeing sights, drinking with others and generally having too much of a good time to post. Today I had time to sit and chill on my ipad.

Chilled Cactus
Nov 15, 2011

College Slice

lx2036 posted:

lol, you forgot to make a group for ambitious people who work on improving themselves but dont actually want to change into exploitative leeches on human civilization

Snatch Duster
Feb 20, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Chilled Cap posted:

lol, you forgot to make a group for ambitious people who work on improving themselves but dont actually want to change into expbloitative leeches on human civilization
You are pretty dumb. How does owning an ecommerce company like Wisesales.com or benscycles.com make you a leech on society?

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

Don't feed the trolls, guys.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

slap me silly
Nov 1, 2009
Grimey Drawer

lx2036 posted:

If you really want it, you'll find a way. You don't need a post in SA.

Yeah. I think we've had enough, I'm tired of dealing with reports from this thread. Anybody who wants to still chat on this topic feel free to start another thread BUT I'LL BE WATCHING YOU

slap me silly fucked around with this message at 00:33 on Sep 7, 2014

• Locked thread