Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

Jackard posted:

Any chance that the adaptation will fix the fuckup?

Probably not. Anime typically don’t change the endings that much. Most anime-original endings happen because they overtake the the story they’re adapting and decide to end it, and that’s not been a thing for a while

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
It would be nice but I highly, highly doubt it.

If anything, there's some scenes where I think animation might reinforce the tone of the scene in ways the mediocre at best artwork of the manga might fail to do, but there are statements and reveals in the final chapter that ruin significant chunks of the story and characters.

Also someone forgot to put up a giant DO NOT CONGRATULATE in the writing notes for the chapter, soooooo

I still think the series up to the early-to-mid 130's is still phenomenal with some fantastic reveals and great character writing. But it also botches it harder than I've ever seen a series besides Usagi Drop did right at the end. I would almost say stop at the end of chapter 138. It'd be an incomplete ending, but probably better than reading the last chapter and having multiple aspects of the story retroactively ruined for you

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

I feel like most manga if it actually gets the chance to have a real conclusive ending it ends up as some half-baked rushed thing that gets tacked onto the last arc. Like endings only ever seem to come as a result of the series getting cancelled or the artist getting bored. The only one I've seen that really led into the ending and really felt natural and satisfying was Fullmetal Alchemist.

I guess there's also a bit of an exception for a lot of series where instead of being a big adventure it's kids in high school and the story ends up with more natural pacing because it's just sticking to the rhythm of high school, going through the seasons and semesters until the time's up. And coincidentally what comes to mind with that is Silver Spoon, another series by Hiromu Arakawa. Although that one kinda broke the mold as well because it had a heavy focus at the end with what came after graduation before it ended.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
A lot of series get canceled but a lot of series also have satisfying and thought out endings that were planned and not the result of boredom or cancellation.

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin
There’s a lot of series that have strong, planned ends, you just don’t hear about them much. I love Ushio & Tora and Kekkaishi, two supernatural themed battle manga from the 1990’s and the 2000’s, respectively, and they both spanned a little over thirty volumes and ended really well, but when I bring up either of them, the most I tend to get is “I watched an episode or two of their anime.”

Now, I admit that Kekkaishi especially doesn’t have a big following, and people freaking love stuff by Naoki Urasawa, who created a handful of long running series like Monster and 20th Century Boys, so it could just be that people like talking about train wrecks more than satisfying endings

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.
Oh no, you can fairly reliably get people to jump out of trees and scurry out from behind the bushes to say "Go read Monster, it's great.". At basically the slightest provocation, or none at all really.

By the way if you are reading this go read Monster, it's great. Even if you already have, do it again.

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

Kekkaishi was fantastic and something I've been meaning to reread. I never got into Ushio and Tora but the author's next series SOUBOUTEI MUST BE DESTROYED is real good or was last I caught up and has a goon translator.

It's about kids investigating an evil house and one of them dies. Then 60 years later one survivor is prime minister and the other a general and they loving airstrike the ghost house. It just makes the house angry.

And that's the start of chapter one.

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

Also as bad as AoT got there's no way they're gonna do an anime original after how badly Promised Neverland's anime original season two went.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

A Sometimes Food posted:

Also as bad as AoT got there's no way they're gonna do an anime original after how badly Promised Neverland's anime original season two went.

There's a difference between "let's not use this one stupid chapter" and "let's assume we're not getting a third cour" and then making GBS threads the bed by condensing multiple long arcs, into a single second cour".

Mr. Steak
May 9, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

thetoughestbean posted:

I love Ushio & Tora

(read souboutei)

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Recently i've been listening to a podcast that reminded me of this thread.

Mangasplaining is a podcast where 3 of the hosts introduce japanese comics to a fourth who has basically no knowledge of manga. The hosts are: Deb Aoki, David Brothers and Christopher Butcher all of whom work or worked at western manga distributors (also David used to post and mod here in BSS) and the 4th person is Chip Zdarsky, who's an artist and writer with work published by DC and Marvel, including Spider-man and Daredevil.

It's pretty good! They've picked some good stuff for him and it's fun to hear a comic professional's thoughts on this stuff. There's about 10 episodes so far, a sampling of things they've covered: Akira, Fullmetal Alchemist, Yotsuba&, and Delicious in Dungeon. I've read some of what they've discussed, but not all, but thanks to them i've now read some Rumiko Takahashi, and i finally grabbed the 1st volumes of Delicious in Dungeon and Way of the Househusband, both of which i've liked every panel and page i've ever seen, but somehow hadn't started reading yet. The biggest complaint i have is that, for the most part, they only read the 1st volume and sometimes the things that make a manga series great don't really get rolling until the 2nd. Even Yotsuba, which i love to bits, hugely improves after vol. 1. It seems like they've all realised this as well and it sounds like they might read more of each series as they go on, or if it's short enough, just read the whole thing.

Coming up they've got Paradise Kiss, Naruto, and Beastars

e: a link i guess
e:e: also their show notes are really good and expansive

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

a kitten posted:

Recently i've been listening to a podcast that reminded me of this thread.

Mangasplaining is a podcast where 3 of the hosts introduce japanese comics to a fourth who has basically no knowledge of manga. The hosts are: Deb Aoki, David Brothers and Christopher Butcher all of whom work or worked at western manga distributors (also David used to post and mod here in BSS) and the 4th person is Chip Zdarsky, who's an artist and writer with work published by DC and Marvel, including Spider-man and Daredevil.

It's pretty good! They've picked some good stuff for him and it's fun to hear a comic professional's thoughts on this stuff. There's about 10 episodes so far, a sampling of things they've covered: Akira, Fullmetal Alchemist, Yotsuba&, and Delicious in Dungeon. I've read some of what they've discussed, but not all, but thanks to them i've now read some Rumiko Takahashi, and i finally grabbed the 1st volumes of Delicious in Dungeon and Way of the Househusband, both of which i've liked every panel and page i've ever seen, but somehow hadn't started reading yet. The biggest complaint i have is that, for the most part, they only read the 1st volume and sometimes the things that make a manga series great don't really get rolling until the 2nd. Even Yotsuba, which i love to bits, hugely improves after vol. 1. It seems like they've all realised this as well and it sounds like they might read more of each series as they go on, or if it's short enough, just read the whole thing.

Coming up they've got Paradise Kiss, Naruto, and Beastars

e: a link i guess
e:e: also their show notes are really good and expansive

Man, I understand wanting to read a wide amount of works but only reading the early volumes is such a disservice. There’s a lot of manga that work best as a complete series and a lot of manga that just completely poo poo the bed halfway through (Naruto and Beastars being greats examples of that)

Edit: unrelatedly, people should read A Silent Voice, it’s a pretty good seven volume work about a deaf girl and the boy who used to bully her and how we all hate ourselves and each other

thetoughestbean fucked around with this message at 04:08 on Apr 28, 2021

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
oh, just got reminded this gigantic manga humble bundle is ending in a bit over a day. It's got a bunch of good stuff in it, To Your Eternity, Don't Toy With Me Miss Nagatoro, That Time I Got Reincarnated as a Slime, Tokyo Revengers, and Seven Deadly Sins.

MadDogMike
Apr 9, 2008

Cute but fanged

Captain Invictus posted:

It would be nice but I highly, highly doubt it.

If anything, there's some scenes where I think animation might reinforce the tone of the scene in ways the mediocre at best artwork of the manga might fail to do, but there are statements and reveals in the final chapter that ruin significant chunks of the story and characters.

Also someone forgot to put up a giant DO NOT CONGRATULATE in the writing notes for the chapter, soooooo

I still think the series up to the early-to-mid 130's is still phenomenal with some fantastic reveals and great character writing. But it also botches it harder than I've ever seen a series besides Usagi Drop did right at the end. I would almost say stop at the end of chapter 138. It'd be an incomplete ending, but probably better than reading the last chapter and having multiple aspects of the story retroactively ruined for you

OK, I'm getting the "urge to look at the train wreck" feeling here, any place sum up just what they ruined at the end? I mean, the situation from the last couple of chapters from what I understood seemed like it was going to be either amazing or utter horror so it isn't a complete shock the manga hit option B, but I'm up for mentally scarring myself to see just how bad they screwed up.

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

Mr. Steak posted:

(read souboutei)

Lol got you covered Steak.

You do good work.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Captain Invictus posted:

oh, just got reminded this gigantic manga humble bundle is ending in a bit over a day. It's got a bunch of good stuff in it, To Your Eternity, Don't Toy With Me Miss Nagatoro, That Time I Got Reincarnated as a Slime, Tokyo Revengers, and Seven Deadly Sins.

Seven Deadly Sins is the only shonen battle series I've wanted to say 'whoa, slow down' although it's to its credit it doesn't take an eon to get the namesake characters together.

J.A.B.C.
Jul 2, 2007

There's no need to rush to be an adult.

Sad news:

https://twitter.com/YoungAnimalHaku/status/1395213014182162436?s=19

Kentaro Miura, author/artist of Berserk, has passed away after an aeortic dissection. He was 56.

Absolute legend.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Wait really

People always joked "berserk will never be finished" but I guess it really won't be now. Poor guy.

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Royalty is a continuous shitposting motion.
He was 54. Aortic dissection. My dad had heart surgery because of a risk of that when he was about Miura's age a decade ago. Awful for him and those who loved and cared for him.

Berserk was one of my first introductions to Manga, after having watched the Golden Age anime around 2002 or 2003. I re-read it a year or so ago, and it remained really, really good.

e: Aortic dissection is apparently not quite as deadly as I had thought, but still up to 50% for an untreated case!

habeasdorkus fucked around with this message at 05:49 on May 20, 2021

The_Other
Dec 28, 2012

Welcome Back, Galaxy Geek.
So I recently picked up A Man and His Cat by Umi Sakurai. It's basically a slice of life manga about a cat who, while in the pet store, was passed over for younger, cuter kittens. One day he is adopted by Fuyuki Kanda, a widower and former concert pianist, who gives him the name Fukumaru. It's mostly slice of life stories about Fukumaru and Kanda that are by turns sad, heartwarming, and funny.

I actually read the first book though one of my library's digital services. I liked it so much that I bought the three volumes that are currently available.

Here are some pictures from the first chapter.

You can no doubt find it on amazon, but I like to by my anime/manga from Right Stuf. A good choice if you live in the US or Canada

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
the intro made me so sad :cry: definitely gonna consider adopting older cats in the future now

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
ended up reading all 3 volumes. it's so sweet :allears:

The_Other
Dec 28, 2012

Welcome Back, Galaxy Geek.

site posted:

ended up reading all 3 volumes. it's so sweet :allears:

Glad to hear that you liked it! Volume four will be released this September. A live-action TV series was also made based on the manga. Fukumaru and other cats are played by puppets.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
It's been a long time, hasn't it? I'd not been reading much manga for a while, until relatively recently when mangadex came back(more specifically, when they finally circumvented the verizon blockage).

but along with this necro post, comes another necro post out of nowhere that just got uploaded: the epilogue chapter of I Am A Hero, the series that inspired me to make this thread in the first place. It's appropriately weird as a sendoff for the series, and also has a silly twist which is, again, appropriate for this series.

https://mangadex.org/title/ff5ef336-72d7-45a2-bc69-c2ae8fbfeec8/i-am-a-hero

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin
Reading the book in physical so I took pictures of the pages

Witches, by Daisuke Igarashi, is a collection of stories about various witches and it’s pretty dang good.

Another manga that I’ve read recently that I think is great is Blue Period. It’s about a high schooler deciding to professionally pursue art as his career and it’s really good