Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Electric Hobo
Oct 22, 2008

What a view!

Grimey Drawer
I feel like the main difference is that characters have approaches instead of skills. It's something like "careful" and "flashy", so a character puts points into how they like to do things. Then you get into different situations where some approaches can't be used, like you can't be "careful"when tumbling down a mountain and such.
There are also no rules for extras, and one less type of NPC.

I like it for quick games, but I think the GM really need to limit when certain approaches can be used. I've seen player use a single skill for everything, and that's not very fun.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Fate Core covers a specific type of cinematic action drama that's got a pretty wide strike zone but ultimately might need some tuning in order to fit into stuff out on the periphery of that.

Fate Accelerated is something to pick up when you're not in the mood to do that tuning and you're not sure it would really help the game you would create. It's much better suited to one-shots and short campaigns than Core is, and really you can lift a lot of mechanics from Core and stuff tuned to Core just as long as you keep in mind that Accelerated peaks at one less.

It sacrifices a lot of rules space and long-term development potential to make something that's easy to pick up and go with, and honestly you'll want to take a look at Fate Core if you want to get at all complicated with Fate Accelerated.

Masters of Umdaar is a "planetary romance" setting for Fate Accelerated, basically a He-Man pastiche with some side credit to Flash Gordon and She-Ra and really any 80s action cartoon that sold toys where you hit a slime man with a laser axe. The "cliffhanger" scene type it introduces can be mined for general use in countering the obvious Fate Accelerated strategy of always roll big number, by basically taking the approaches and turning them into a situational defense fractal, where you roll against passive opposition of +1 if you're being Sneaky but +7 if you're being Forceful because you're trying to rescue a kidnapped rhino princess from a bunch of sleeping lion men and how is being Forceful going to make that easy for you?

Fate Accelerated works best when there's one main thing all the stars of the show have to do and it might be anyone's time to shine.

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

DarkAvenger211 posted:

Is FATE Accelerated just a simplified ruleset for the game? How do people find using it over base FATE?

This blog post covers the differences.

Skills vs Approaches is the biggest 'visible' difference.

My personal view is that Approaches make sense when either:
- in a traditional skill system, everyone would have almost identical skills; your style of doing things is much more important than the specific thing you're doing
- your characters are so wildly divergent that a regular skill system simply wouldn't make sense. e.g. "we're playing spooky Halloween monsters, who cares wtf my Drive skill is"

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
The rules for what makes a stunt are also different in FAE, though I don't think I've ever met anyone who didn't run FAE with regular Fate Core stunts (or, effectively, Fate Core with approaches instead of skills).

e X
Feb 23, 2013

cool but crude

Electric Hobo posted:

I like it for quick games, but I think the GM really need to limit when certain approaches can be used. I've seen player use a single skill for everything, and that's not very fun.

The way I always approched it is that your core aspect defines what the different approaches are able to do. A "Brilliant Safecracker" can use the clever approach to open a lock, while a "Professor Emeritus" couldn't.