Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Moatman
Mar 21, 2014

Because the goof is all mine.
Is there any reason why the Instax Mini 8s have been popping up everywhere recently? Like, I walked into Best Buy last week to look at TVs and there was a fuckoff huge stand filled with them right next to the entrance. Like, I didn't even know they still made instant cameras anymore, let alone were selling them in mass market stores

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

My office is in the front room of a run-down 12 megapixel sensor but the rent suits me and the landlord doesn't ask many questions.

Dorkroom Short Fiction Champion 2012

Young Orc

Moatman posted:

Is there any reason why the Instax Mini 8s have been popping up everywhere recently? Like, I walked into Best Buy last week to look at TVs and there was a fuckoff huge stand filled with them right next to the entrance. Like, I didn't even know they still made instant cameras anymore, let alone were selling them in mass market stores

They have actually been insanely popular for many years, Fuji makes more money on Instax than they do on digital photography.

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

Moatman posted:

I bought one as a Christmas gift for my 13-year-old cousin last year and she uses it all of the time. Big hit with the kids.

topenga
Jul 1, 2003

Moatman posted:

Scrapbooking people. And a huge surge in people wanting to use them for their weddings. Like, candid at the table shots without having to get film developed. I started selling envelope style frames for them on etsy this season. I am amazed at how many people wanted them for projects (buying a pack of 50+).

eggsovereasy
May 6, 2011

Did anyone here do the Lomo square instax kickstarter and receive their camera yet? If so, how is it?

topenga
Jul 1, 2003

eggsovereasy posted:

Did anyone here do the Lomo square instax kickstarter and receive their camera yet? If so, how is it?

I'm anxious to see it as well. I kickstarted it but I'm not scheduled to get it until February.
I see some early backers have posted some shots here: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/lomography/the-lomoinstant-square-camera/posts/2082102

eggsovereasy
May 6, 2011

topenga posted:

I'm anxious to see it as well. I kickstarted it but I'm not scheduled to get it until February.
I see some early backers have posted some shots here: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/lomography/the-lomoinstant-square-camera/posts/2082102

How’d you see when you are going to get it?

topenga
Jul 1, 2003

eggsovereasy posted:

How’d you see when you are going to get it?

If you log in and look at your pledge it should tell you an estimated ship time.

eggsovereasy
May 6, 2011

Mine says February too :smith:

eggsovereasy
May 6, 2011

I just got my shipping notification :dance:

Ashex
Jun 25, 2007

These pipes are cleeeean!!!
Total shot in the dark, does anyone with a SX-70 have the ITT Magic Flash? I got one off eBay but it came without the battery cover so I'm not entirely sure which batteries I should connect, if someone could send me a pic of the battery cover that would be awesome.

Whitezombi
Apr 26, 2006

With these Zombie Eyes he rendered her powerless - With this Zombie Grip he made her perform his every desire!

Ashex posted:

Total shot in the dark, does anyone with a SX-70 have the ITT Magic Flash? I got one off eBay but it came without the battery cover so I'm not entirely sure which batteries I should connect, if someone could send me a pic of the battery cover that would be awesome.

Post a pic of the flash. I've dealt with a few different versions of these and I may even have one.

Whitezombi fucked around with this message at 18:26 on Jan 16, 2018

topenga
Jul 1, 2003

eggsovereasy posted:

I just got my shipping notification :dance:

WOOT!!!!

Edit: I got my notification! So excited!

topenga fucked around with this message at 17:22 on Jan 17, 2018

Ashex
Jun 25, 2007

Whitezombi posted:

Post a pic of the flash. I've dealt with a few different versions of these and I may even have one.

Here's the flash mounted:

Bunch more pics here.

Ashex
Jun 25, 2007

Ended up buying the impossible flash bar II as it's way more compact, I guess I'll tear apart the magic flash and see if I can git rid of the gigantic base.

whatever7
Jul 26, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Hello thread, trying to find out if I can build a simple Instax-photo booth for my baby's 100-day party.

I know you can use light trigger to fire manual flashlight with Instax Mini cameras (I believe all of them always fire the flash).

I wants to do it with a Instax Wide setup. However I believe the Instax wide 300 doesn't fire its flash all the time. What about the 210?

I know there is the $200 Lomo version with a pc sync but I prefer not spending too much on a diy rig.

So does any Instax wide camera fire the flash all the time?

Sarern
Nov 4, 2008

:toot:
Won't you take me to
Bomertown?
Won't you take me to
BONERTOWN?

whatever7 posted:

Hello thread, trying to find out if I can build a simple Instax-photo booth for my baby's 100-day party.

I know you can use light trigger to fire manual flashlight with Instax Mini cameras (I believe all of them always fire the flash).

I wants to do it with a Instax Wide setup. However I believe the Instax wide 300 doesn't fire its flash all the time. What about the 210?

I know there is the $200 Lomo version with a pc sync but I prefer not spending too much on a diy rig.

So does any Instax wide camera fire the flash all the time?

I have an Instax 210. I used it for a year without ever realizing that you can turn the flash off, so that seems like it should work for you. Mine is several years old, so I have no idea if they still work this way, but mine has a flash on/off button.

Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)
I've been reading about instant photography and it seems great, but I looked at reviews of the most expensive model (the SQ10), and one said that the fact that you can choose which shots to print actually ruins the experience because people will be less spontaneous once they know you could pick your shots. It sounds counter-intuitive but I kind of understand.

So... is there a sweet spot for Instax models in terms of specs and general fun? I'm looking at the Mini 90 and the Mini 9 (I'm not too enthusiastic on the wide format). I really just want to take photos and feel like instant photography would complement my digital stuff because I self-edit too much even before taking photos. Is this an actual reason that other people have or am I just weird and have GAS?

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

You're not weird, I also think a lot of the appeal is going fully analog. For the square format the only option is the Lomo'Instant Square. For the mini format besides the Mini 90 the counterpart would probably be the Lomo’Instant Automat Glass.

nervana
Dec 9, 2010
I really want to go square, so considering buying the Lomo. Anybody have good experiences with it?

Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)

Rastor posted:

You're not weird, I also think a lot of the appeal is going fully analog. For the square format the only option is the Lomo'Instant Square. For the mini format besides the Mini 90 the counterpart would probably be the Lomo’Instant Automat Glass.

Okay! Instax is huge here so I'd rather stick to that (and I'm a Fuji shooter anyway).

How many packs of film would you guys bring to, say, a house party?

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

My office is in the front room of a run-down 12 megapixel sensor but the rent suits me and the landlord doesn't ask many questions.

Dorkroom Short Fiction Champion 2012

Young Orc

Schneider Heim posted:

Okay! Instax is huge here so I'd rather stick to that (and I'm a Fuji shooter anyway).

I bring 2 to a bar, but I use a printer. If I was shooting in cam instax I'd never leave the house without at least 5 packs.

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

Schneider Heim posted:

To be clear, I was referring to Instax square format, not Polaroid/Impossible.

ReverendHammer
Feb 12, 2003

BARTHOLOMEW THEODOSUS IS NOT AMUSED

Schneider Heim posted:

When I go out with a plan to shoot stuff on Instax I'll take 40 shots with me if we're talking like 3-6 hours (this is for concert/event stuff). With maybe an extra box of 20 in the vehicle just in case.

polyester concept
Mar 29, 2017

Found an Instax SP-2 printer at the thrift store for $30 - in box with all the accessories :wtc:

Don’t mind if I do

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

Fuji finally announced the analog Instax Square, comes out May 25 for $130

https://www.theverge.com/circuitbreaker/2018/5/14/17353610/fujifilm-square-format-analog-instax-camera-sq6

404notfound
Mar 5, 2006

stop staring at me

Pictures of the back show a button that appears to let you turn the flash off, which would be nice since the 300 wide doesn't have that option. It doesn't sound like this one comes with a bulb mode though.

I've already got the mini 90, but this is sorta tempting. The square aspect ratio just feels right to me for instant photography.

JHVH-1
Jun 28, 2002

It looked pretty nice except for the batteries... 2 x CR2 meh.

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

Fuji also announced Instax Square film packs where the framing is black instead of white

eggsovereasy
May 6, 2011

I wish they would do the monochrome film in square.

Sarern
Nov 4, 2008

Won't you take me to
Bomertown?
Won't you take me to
BONERTOWN?

eggsovereasy posted:

I wish they would do the monochrome film in square.

Wait there is monochrome Instax film? I don't think my wallet can survive that.

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

Sarern posted:

Wait there is monochrome Instax film? I don't think my wallet can survive that.

Sorry, wallet
https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1291092-REG
https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1371475-REG

Sarern
Nov 4, 2008

Won't you take me to
Bomertown?
Won't you take me to
BONERTOWN?

I will be a poorer man, but with more monochrome shots.
:hawaaaafap:

girl pants
Sep 21, 2006
I feel a great disturbance in my pants

Rastor posted:

Fuji also announced Instax Square film packs where the framing is black instead of white

Is this because of that kerfuffle with Polaroid?

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

girl pants posted:

Is this because of that kerfuffle with Polaroid?

AFAIK they are not discontinuing the standard white, so I doubt this is in relation

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

Lomo is embracing attachments with their newest Instax Square camera

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/lomography/the-diana-instant-square-camera

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WorldWarWonderful
Jul 15, 2004
Eh?
I really enjoy shooting the Spectra format - I've a collection of six and over time each one kind of dies. I wrote a message to Polaroid, figuring since they sell refurbished ones they must have a way to repair them, but that isn't the case.

The response I got listed several reasons why this happened besides the obvious (using 30+ year old electronics being the most obvious one). The main culprit seems to be that new Spectra film is slightly thicker than old, and this burns out the motors. I'm a little bit disappointed to know that each working Spectra I own has an expiration date if I keep using it since it's probably my favourite camera to use.

Then on my way home from work I pop by a pawn shop and find this tucked away in a corner - I offered the guy 75 CDN, taxes included, and he accepted it. It even had a cartridge with a few shots left and it seems to work fine (although all images came out white, which I'll attribute to an undetermined age and / or poor storage of the film, or possibly exposure if it's ever been opened). The viewfinder doesn't stay propped up but I can probably fix that, and there's no accessories whatsoever, but for the price this sells for new I'll manage, and I'll keep my Spectras for special occasions.

• Locked thread