Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Yeah that's absolutely repairable but dishwashing knives constantly blunts them and attacks the handle material. Dishwashing detergent is extremely harsh, plus they typically heat the water up (beyond how hot it comes from your hot water line), dry with very hot heat, etc. which makes the metal expand and then contract, generally at a different rate than the handle material, which further attacks the join.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rapulum_Dei
Sep 7, 2009
Fair enough that makes sense about the expansion but I didn’t realise it blunted them too. hand washing them isn’t much of a chore.

How do I go about repairing them then?
I have a mill so drilling out the remaining pins and previous attempts isn’t an issue.

Where do you source pin stock? Steel, aluminium? I wouldn’t have anything against brass even if that makes it easier.

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007
you can get stainless steel or brass pin stock at most hardware stores

Rapulum_Dei
Sep 7, 2009
First attempt. Results: passable. I cut pins to length, tapped in and then used a drift punch to try and flatten the ends which sort of worked. Ish.

Any tips for flaring the ends?

Only registered members can see post attachments!

McSpergin
Sep 10, 2013

I'm currently going through the same thing, a colleague who gifted me 20l of quench oil from an old work project asked if I could fix his. Currently at 320g hand sanding on the scales, replacing it with Tasmanian Blackwood and mosaic pins

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Cut the pins a bit too long, cut them a little proud of flush, and then you can peen around the edges of the pins to mushroom them a bit into the material; or, alternatively, drive a divot into the center of the pin to spread it. Lastly, file or sand flush.

The other option is to cut them flush to start with and then rely on epoxy to hold them in place. They'll still give you a mechanical join, but if the epoxy fails there's nothing else holding them in place. So I was taught the above methods as the "right way" to do it.

Rapulum_Dei
Sep 7, 2009

McSpergin posted:

I'm currently going through the same thing, a colleague who gifted me 20l of quench oil from an old work project asked if I could fix his. Currently at 320g hand sanding on the scales, replacing it with Tasmanian Blackwood and mosaic pins

I found mosaic pins online when searching for brass stock. Very cool, I had no idea such things exist.

Although they’re fixed I have to confess I’m contemplating making molds and pouring new handles in resin that would in theory flow through the pin holes to make a single handle.

McSpergin
Sep 10, 2013

Rapulum_Dei posted:

I found mosaic pins online when searching for brass stock. Very cool, I had no idea such things exist.

Although they’re fixed I have to confess I’m contemplating making molds and pouring new handles in resin that would in theory flow through the pin holes to make a single handle.

These are the ones I used in the remake.

I don't hate the idea of fully resin moulds that could be cool. I'm looking at doing something like that as I get my blanks laser cut from sheet stock and use the laser cutter to also get earring sized knives cut, and making the handles for them is a pain in the rear end. Definitely leaning towards making some like what you're describing to do a bunch at a time

McSpergin
Sep 10, 2013

I just posted about this in the blacksmithing thread but here's my first forged knife! I did a class in Japan with a master bladesmith

McSpergin
Sep 10, 2013

Here's a picture of the finished knife (it was wrapped up for transport home to Australia so I didn't get a picture prior to doing so)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.
Freaking :black101: