Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

stab
Feb 12, 2003

To you from failing hands we throw the torch, be yours to hold it high

B.B. Rodriguez posted:

Eh, I don't think it's the US per se, more CONCACAF being CONCACAF. The Copa America thing if def just CONMEBOL/CONCACAF doing their normal grift. The US will gladly host any and all tournaments and won't be doing the usual bribing etc. But it's also the home of giant crowds, tv, and nebulous promoters. It's a lot easier to get paid in the US than in all of the other countries in this hemisphere.

*laughs in Canada*

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012

B.B. Rodriguez posted:

Eh, I don't think it's the US per se, more CONCACAF being CONCACAF. The Copa America thing if def just CONMEBOL/CONCACAF doing their normal grift. The US will gladly host any and all tournaments and won't be doing the usual bribing etc. But it's also the home of giant crowds, tv, and nebulous promoters. It's a lot easier to get paid in the US than in all of the other countries in this hemisphere.

It is very funny to me how resistant American goons are to the idea that the US soccer federation and all the corporations associated with it are just as dirty and corrupt as the rest of the soccer establishment.
Yeah, man, it's totally someone else bribing on behalf of the US.

joepinetree fucked around with this message at 01:50 on Mar 31, 2024

tristeham
Jul 31, 2022

B.B. Rodriguez posted:

dumbass

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012
There was a sports agency called TFM.

You may not have heard of TFM. But you probably remember Traffic, which was what became TFM. Traffic was the agency that was originally from Brazil but moved to the US and got caught as one of the groups bribing everyone to bring Copa America Centenario to the US. Funny how those bribes were needed, when you also had giant crowds, tv, and nebulous promoters. Also, funny how even after uncovering all the bribes Copa America Centenario still went ahead.

In any case, TFM, which used to be Traffic, is now Roc Nation. Because the Jay-Z owned company wanted to "expand its opportunities" in the coming world cup, to be hosted in the US. Busy few summers. Copa America in 2024, club world cup in 2025, actual world cup in 2026.

But yeah, totally, the US doesn't have to bribe anyone, it just makes sense.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
Chuck blazer wasn't corrupt at all he just had a Manhattan penthouse purely for his cats paid for via bribes

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

Jose posted:

Chuck blazer wasn't corrupt at all he just had a Manhattan penthouse purely for his cats paid for via bribes

I really want to know how that works. Do you hire a household employee who lives in the penthouse and feeds and takes care of the cats?

Because I would honestly be comfortable with that job.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Star Man posted:

I really want to know how that works. Do you hire a household employee who lives in the penthouse and feeds and takes care of the cats?

Because I would honestly be comfortable with that job.

He had one apartment in Trump Tower for himself and another apartment in Trump Tower for his cats

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

and then the car turned in to fire
Thinking about how America, the worldwide bastion of morality and financial transparency, simply doesn't bribe or take bribes from anyone.

the sex ghost
Sep 6, 2009
Chuck blazer only took those bribes so he knew how to identify and avoid future bribes

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

the sex ghost posted:

Chuck blazer only took those bribes so he knew how to identify and avoid future bribes

Research is expensive and profitable

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

and then the car turned in to fire
"Luciano Moggi 'desperate' to learn about the act of bribery in wake of Calciopoli scandal"

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

the sex ghost posted:

Yeah, dying

advanced statsman
Dec 26, 2012

ISLAM FC
Americans would never bribe anyone! Most righteous nation! It’s just money doing the talking!

More people would go to Brazil for another World Cup than some deserted mall town with a sprayed-over nfl field.

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

I am a spectacularly bad poster and everyone in the Schadenfreude thread hates my guts.
I have a theory that every post that starts with "Eh, ..." Is followed by some absolutely ridiculous nonsense and glad to see it holds up here

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
Americans think their country doesn't have corruption because they legalized it and called it lobbying

advanced statsman
Dec 26, 2012

ISLAM FC
it's also a post from one of TRP's certified worst posters in history

signed: a bad poster

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
The real corruption is that [event] wasn't played in soccer's sacred homeland of Europe

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

Football should always be played in a timezone that is conducive to me watching

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Shrapnig posted:

Football should always be played in a timezone that is conducive to me watching

:hmmyes:

the best tournaments are the ones that are approximately 6 hours ahead of my time zone, so that when I wake up there's football on and then the football stays on all day

Barry Shitpeas
Dec 17, 2003

there is no need
to be upset

Winner POTM July 2013
If you think your FA/confederation aren't corrupt, they just aren't as good at it as the other ones

the sex ghost
Sep 6, 2009
Remember when England lost the bid for 2022 and

1) blamed the BBC for being rude to fifa

2) complained that they had been assured that their bribes would be sufficient to secure the bid

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
I remember Australia complaining that their gifts of "a nice box of wine" to each committee member somehow couldn't compete with envelopes full of cash being slipped under hotel room doors

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
the qatar world cup was so obviously corrupt even sepp blatter was trying to avoid it but platini couldn't be stopped

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

B.B. Rodriguez
Aug 8, 2005

Bender: "I was God once." God: "Yes, I saw. You were doing well until everyone died."

advanced statsman posted:

it's also a post from one of TRP's certified worst posters in history

signed: a bad poster

I am? When did I get a certification?