Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
medchem
Oct 11, 2012

What's the optimal number of characters to use? I usually play solo or with my wife. We've been using 4 characters between us, and it seems like it might be not enough turns to go through for each character to get a good feel for how they play. 1 or 2 characters don't seem like they're enough. They get too many turns and there aren't a large variety of locations. I'm wondering if 3 might be good. Anyone have thoughts on this?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

malkav11
Aug 7, 2009
I don't feel like there's an optimum, although I wouldn't consider one character to be very viable and two might struggle. We've played anywhere from three to five and they were all really enjoyable, but more characters has meant more ability to specialize and a wider variety of locations so I personally feel like more is better in this case. You may not get a large number of individual turns in a given scenario, but this is a long haul game where you'll be playing dozens of scenarios, and those turns will better focus on your strengths.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.
I find 4 players the sweet spot between "leisure walk" and "Oh, god, time is running out GO, GO GO!". I feel that 5+ will end up with a lot of downtime, becuse there isn't much you can do between turns.

PyroDwarf
Aug 24, 2010
I had the idea to re-skin this game into a space/sci-fi theme. I started working on some cards using magic set editor. I'm changing some of the terms to fit the space theme.

http://imgur.com/a/qzRLz

It is only 3 cards so far, and I'm still working on naming conventions.

So far I'm going with:

Banish = Jettison
Spell = Augment
Magic = Eos
Divine = Cosmic
Arcane = Astral
Monster = Enemy

I think I'll change the town locations into a space station, outdoor locations as nebula or asteroids and caves/dungeons as enemy capital ships. Blessings will become constellations and Allies become crew.

medchem
Oct 11, 2012

A couple of months ago, at BGG.con, Paizo hosted a 60 hour marathon session of PACG which included going through all the adventures including ones that haven't been released yet. Here's a report on that:

http://paizo.com/paizo/blog/v5748dyo5lfrv?The-Battles-of-Marathon-The-Pathfinder-ACG-at

Holy poo poo the later adventures sound really hard.

Fenarisk
Oct 27, 2005

I got to play this as a demo for the first time this last weekend at a convention, and it was a ton of fun and right up my group's alley (not much prep, no reading a lot of rules, easy to pick up, etc). I got the base game as a belated birthday present from a friend, and I'm wondering which expansions people recommend (or if all of them are good).

malkav11
Aug 7, 2009

Fenarisk posted:

I got to play this as a demo for the first time this last weekend at a convention, and it was a ton of fun and right up my group's alley (not much prep, no reading a lot of rules, easy to pick up, etc). I got the base game as a belated birthday present from a friend, and I'm wondering which expansions people recommend (or if all of them are good).

Here's the thing - this is not a game with expansions, this is a game released in installments. It's not a question of picking the "good" expansions. The base box starts the Rise of the Runelords Adventure Path, and there are a further five adventures in that path, which are being released separately. The intent is that you will play all of them, in order. So you don't actually need any of the addons (except maybe the Character Pack) until you've finished with the first adventure on the path, but you'll want all of them eventually, assuming you continue to be interested in the game.

Fenarisk
Oct 27, 2005

After running brigandoom with four people a few weeks ago, yesterday the same people got together and played through the first three scenarios in a row, which went a lot faster and smoother once we had done it the first time. It was a blast to go through the adventure and be able to check off some boxes on the character cards as well as modify out decks between scenarios with some of the better loot we got. Definitely a super fun game, each time we won with only 2-3 cards left in the blessing timer deck.

Edit: just wish there was a way to play online, two of the four players are gone home for the summer a few states away :(

Fenarisk fucked around with this message at 14:32 on May 5, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Caros
May 14, 2008

Fenarisk posted:

After running brigandoom with four people a few weeks ago, yesterday the same people got together and played through the first three scenarios in a row, which went a lot faster and smoother once we had done it the first time. It was a blast to go through the adventure and be able to check off some boxes on the character cards as well as modify out decks between scenarios with some of the better loot we got. Definitely a super fun game, each time we won with only 2-3 cards left in the blessing timer deck.

Edit: just wish there was a way to play online, two of the four players are gone home for the summer a few states away :(

There is an OCTGN module, which is pretty much vassal. Kind of a bitch to set up, since you need to either scan your cards or have them in front of you since otherwise its :filez:

• Locked thread