Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

keep punching joe posted:

From Brian Moriarty himself

LOL beautiful. I'm a capable boy, I'm guessing I can track all that down.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

I'm really enjoying Harold Halibut

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

Normally I don't make aesthetic criticisms in other peoples' homes, but that rug looks like a beaver exploded. If meat is murder, then that rug is at least a severe beating.

This is helpful, I've been thinking about trying Loom out in the near future. I am going to buy a legit version but I may up end up trying this instead as I want to experience the original release first.

The talkie version has been spoken about earlier in this thread. Not only was the dialogue shortened in the CD-Rom, wasn't it or the vast majority of it rewritten?

Lord Bob
Jun 1, 2000

Major Isoor posted:

Man, I love glam metal! Never heard of this game though - maybe I should check it out :D

Paradigm's dedication to spending altogether too much production money on the dumbest jokes is a winning formula for me. This one was a personal favourite:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B-Dyr116Ano&t=20s

Joe Chill
Mar 21, 2013

"What's this dance called?"

"'Radioactive Flesh.' It's the latest - and the last!"

Rocket Baby Dolls posted:

This is helpful, I've been thinking about trying Loom out in the near future. I am going to buy a legit version but I may up end up trying this instead as I want to experience the original release first.

The talkie version has been spoken about earlier in this thread. Not only was the dialogue shortened in the CD-Rom, wasn't it or the vast majority of it rewritten?

Not sure how much of the dialogue was changed but here is video comparing the two versions:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bRJD0OrGulU

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

Normally I don't make aesthetic criticisms in other peoples' homes, but that rug looks like a beaver exploded. If meat is murder, then that rug is at least a severe beating.
I'm about a quarter of the way through a playthrough\LP of 80 Days at the moment. Not the rather splendid 80 Days by Inkle, the 80 Days by Frogwares that was released in 2005.

80 Days was the fourth release by Frogwares and it's extremely loosely based on the Jules Verne novel. It's also their first game using a 3D engine, although I'm unsure if it's the same one that they used for their original 3D Sherlock adventures. I was in two minds about playing this as although it's a 3D adventure game, it involves finite resources, stealth sections, a time limit and a stamina bar with consequences. The time limit is quite thematic though as you need to complete the game within 80 in-game days.

What changed my mind was this:

This is the only game in Frogwares back catalogue that has been removed from sale which is vague and doesn't make a whole lot of sense since every other single release is still available. I'm intent on playing through this to find out why. I've already encountered a little bit of casual racism with some of the NPCs within the first few minutes of gameplay. The voice acting is definitely a mixed bag and the small amount of casual racism encountered in Cairo is getting me worried for Bombay and Yokohama. I decided to stop talking to NPCs after a few lines of dialogue in Cairo so there may be more, I'm fairly certain all of the voice actors are American\British and they are doing accents.

I've also discovered that this game is also broken and there's already been a very disturbing character arc with one of the NPCs already. The game has been prone to the odd crash and it's also minimized several times as well. There's one section of the game that is virtually impossible to get through to a location unless you glitch through an invisible wall that shouldn't be there, and it's impossible to complete the game unless you do. Straight after glitching through there's also an opportunity to lock the game if you jump up in the wrong spot, you just end up hanging in the air and there's nothing you can do about it apart from reloading the game.

It's been an odd game to play through so far, some of the puzzles\quests have been baffling and very out of place but in some ways, the developers have tried to add comedic elements to the game. It's janky as hell with some weird platforming at times thrown into the mix, which isn't helped with the jankiness. There are also vehicles to hire and during my time in Cairo they weren't really needed as the map could easily be traversed on foot and you couldn't take them around half of the map anyway.

I'm still trying to work out whether this was pulled but I'm starting to get an idea.

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

Rocket Baby Dolls posted:

Yes, it had to be rewritten to shorten it.

One more thing to keep in mind for people new to Loom is that there are no dead ends in the game unless you didn't write down the notes for a song. However, if you are using a walkthrough it might have solutions using a song you don't have because there are optional songs you can get that provide alternate solutions to a puzzle.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Lord Bob posted:

Paradigm's dedication to spending altogether too much production money on the dumbest jokes is a winning formula for me. This one was a personal favourite:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B-Dyr116Ano&t=20s

My favourite recurring joke is if you try to Pick Up anything you cant, Paradigm will flirt with it. Except the only woman he encounters, he gets bashful instead :allears:

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Paradigm is a top-tier adventure game. Really captures the best of 90s Lucasarts.

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

Max Wilco posted:

Finished another adventure game that's always piqued my curiosity whenever I've seen it: Nightlong: Union City Conspiracy. It was much better than Noir, but it's sort of strange.

I played through this a couple of years ago. It was a game that I owned as a kid but could never complete, it didn't help that there is a section of the game that is almost guaranteed to crash to the desktop unless it's patched. It is a pretty decent adventure but that last section with the ciphered maths almost killed me, I praise the person who invented walkthroughs for that puzzle. If you want an old-school adventure then it's worth checking out.

davidspackage posted:

I played my way through Bud Tucker in Double Trouble yesterday, a 1996 comedy point and click adventure in Day of the Tentacle style. It was a childhood obsession of mine, after I played the demo in 1995, but was never able to find it (because it had a very limited release). Already played through the 1st act years ago, but I found out recently it got support for ScummVM.

I played through this last year and I had high hopes for it. The graphics and art style look pretty good for an early 90s adventure and it has Rik Mayall in it for christs sake. Rik Mayall was one of my heroes growing up, he's one of those people whois perfect for voice acting because he can play weird and wacky characters so easily.

The game is okay at best, but it suffers from poor puzzle design and weird story progression. I also encountered a bug at one point which softlocked the game for me but it was intermittent, thankfully.

There is definitely an issue with numerous hotspots that you get insulted for trying to do anything other than "look" at them, which gets tiring pretty quickly. Especially when you're hunting for items to potentially use later. The only real issue I had was with picking up an actual inventory item was the shirt down in the docks, an item that can easily be reached by normal means but you have to use an item from your inventory to pick it up.

There are some genuinely fun moments to be had in this game, it's wacky in some good ways as well. But the game itself is not great overall, it's worth a playthrough but be prepared for a lot of tedium which could have easily been avoided.

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

One Short Eye did another speedrun video, this time about King's Quest https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KPlKetNSAtE

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Limited Run Games get posted a lot in this thread, but seriously don't buy their stuff. https://twitter.com/Voultar/status/1785760704663896230 Doesn't even work on actual hardware.

Clouseau
Aug 3, 2003

My theories appall you, my heresies outrage you, I never answer letters, and you don't like my tie.
Wrapped up Beyond the Edge of Owlsgard which was recommended in here, and I can co-sign that recco. Really beautiful game, generally good puzzles, and I liked a lot of the voice performances. It missed me a bit with some of the lore dumps/exposition especially towards the end (the lore gets needlessly complicated imo), and overall it felt like it needed someone to cut down the script a bit - but this is a problem a ton of adventures have.

John F Bennett
Jan 30, 2013

I always wear my wedding ring. It's my trademark.

I've been following this game and its solo creator for some years now, and looks like he is finally in the end sprint.

https://x.com/pointandclickd/status/1785987130239410507

This one is going to be an adventure game in the classic style, looking forward to it.

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

IShallRiseAgain posted:

Limited Run Games get posted a lot in this thread, but seriously don't buy their stuff. https://twitter.com/Voultar/status/1785760704663896230 Doesn't even work on actual hardware.

Have they always been bad? Or have they just been going down hill?

The monkey Island set I got from them was pretty great, and I got a few other things like 4 years ago that were good. They took forever to come but at least the quality was there

Seems like everything I've seen from them in the past year has been pretty awful

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

Weird Pumpkin posted:

Seems like everything I've seen from them in the past year has been pretty awful

They always have had the occasional problem. My favorite is them releasing an expensive LE for a loving PC multiplayer game at their height of FOMO / relevance for a game called Lawbreakers. That game shut down like a year later.

Somehow though those problems have become much more prominent with them trying to race to the bottom on merchandise for every single gaming thing ever made. Their acquisition by Embracer just sped things up.

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Weird Pumpkin posted:

Have they always been bad? Or have they just been going down hill?

The monkey Island set I got from them was pretty great, and I got a few other things like 4 years ago that were good. They took forever to come but at least the quality was there

I've always felt that they have had low quality stuff. A lot of the time its just stuff made out of paper, or dirt cheap stuff they can pay to slap some art on. if it does have a semi-decent quality item that is somewhat bespoke, the entire thing is way more expensive.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AbstractNapper
Jun 5, 2011

I can help

Recent versions of ScummVM also support using the orchestral composition (from an audio CD) of the Swan Lake, thanks to the work of developer eriktorbjorn. It requires some editing work of tracks, but the process is fully documented on the ScummVM wiki page for LOOM here: https://wiki.scummvm.org/index.php?title=Loom#Audio_tracks

Here's a sample of it, though, spoiler warning, it contains short parts of scenes from the *entire* game:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D2BSlNDHY2k

We've also fixed a number of original bugs too -- one of which I find really funny, and strange that it went undetected (or more likely unreported) for so long.

Another thing to note, is the audio drama. None of the digital releases of LOOM include this, even though it was part of all the original physical releases (as an audio cassette tape for EGA version and audio CD for the CD talkie afaik). It's intended to be experienced before playing the game, as it sets the premise, mythology and explains important events that lead up to the moment the game begins. Youtube can help here.