Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

Human Tornada posted:

Honestly I can't think of a good reason to sous vide chicken wings, Kenji's recipe comes out basically perfect.

Is this the one with baking soda and salt where you put them in the fridge overnight prior to cooking?

Those turn out good, but they make a mess out of my oven and the fat dripping makes it smoke quite a bit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Human Tornada
Mar 4, 2005

I been wantin to see a honkey dance.
Yeah it can definitely be a bit of a pain, I tried to specify that the end product is basically perfect lol.

Hawklad
May 3, 2003

Who wants to live
forever?

DIVE!

College Slice
We're cooking a dozen filet mignons for my wife's parent's 30th anniversary dinner Saturday night. Since I'm the "sous-vide" guy in the family this task fell on me, which is fine, but the problem is that my schedule won't allow me to sous-vide them on the day we are serving, so I'll need to do that step a couple days in advance. Then re-heat and sear them just prior to serving.

My plan is 3 hrs @125F sous-vide, on Thursday evening, followed by an immediate ice-water immersion for 15 minutes to chill, then store in the fridge until it's time to finish them off 48 hours later. Then I'll warm them back up in 125F water for maybe 15 minutes, then pull them out of the bag and sear on a big hot griddle just prior to serving.

I'm worried about the 2 day storage in the fridge - should i be? Would it be better to freeze them after immersion cooking? With the storage step do I need to change my time/temp? I've seen that in theory the steaks can be stored for up to 5 days prior to reheating but I can't imagine that wouldn't adversely affect the quality.

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

Just dump them in an ice bath, and throw the bowl in the fridge.

You've got the reheat and serve down.

sterster
Jun 19, 2006
nothing
Fun Shoe
It'll be fine for a couple of days. I've had steaks in the fridge for multiple days before without issue. Besides filet sucks flavor wise so you've only got to worry about texture which will be just fine

lavaca
Jun 11, 2010
Costco was selling tomahawk ribeyes for the same price as a regular ribeye so I succumbed to novelty and bought a package. Has anybody had success cooking one of these before? I was thinking 133ish for two hours based on thickness and fat content, but then I saw a bunch of Reddit posts claiming that it would take 4-5 hours. Knowing that it might be hard to fit one into a regular skillet, I do have a giant cast iron griddle I can use to sear it.

(I'm also open to "it works a lot better in the oven" but was hoping to be able to bake some potatoes at the same time.)

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

Just reverse sear it.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
Reverse-sear it in the oven and throw those potatoes in there too.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

lavaca posted:

Costco was selling tomahawk ribeyes for the same price as a regular ribeye so I succumbed to novelty and bought a package. Has anybody had success cooking one of these before? I was thinking 133ish for two hours based on thickness and fat content, but then I saw a bunch of Reddit posts claiming that it would take 4-5 hours. Knowing that it might be hard to fit one into a regular skillet, I do have a giant cast iron griddle I can use to sear it.

(I'm also open to "it works a lot better in the oven" but was hoping to be able to bake some potatoes at the same time.)

I am cooking one of those motherfuckers right now, and in another cambro pan I have lamb leg going. Big party tonight.

I have a question about the gelatin conversion thing. I'm looking up that the process starts around 170 F and really gets going around 180 F. that's far, I have been cooking meat at the medium rare temperature -- 134 for lamb, for example -- just so that the meat is still as rare as we all prefer when done.

Should you ever sous vide meat at 170, though? Super well done, but highly gelatinized? Or is this a maxwellian thermal distribution thing where cooking at 134 still allows for some collagen to turn to gelatin at the statistical upper edge of the bell curve?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

Potato Salad posted:

Or is this a maxwellian thermal distribution thing where cooking at 134 still allows for some collagen to turn to gelatin at the statistical upper edge of the bell curve?
It's this. Baldwin gives the lower end at which this happens as 122 to 131 F (50 to 55 C):

Baldwin posted:

Prolonged cooking (e.g., braising) has been used to make tough cuts of meat more palatable since ancient times. Indeed, prolonged cooking can more than double the tenderness of the meat by dissolving all the collagen into gelatin and reducing inter-fiber adhesion to essentially nothing (Davey et al., 1976). At 176°F (80°C), Davey et al. (1976) found that these effects occur within about 12–24 hours with tenderness increasing only slightly when cooked for 50 to 100 hours.

At lower temperatures (120°F/50°C to 150°F/ 65°C), Bouton and Harris (1981) found that tough cuts of beef (from animals 0–4 years old) were the most tender when cooked to between 131°F and 140°F (55°C and 60°C). Cooking the beef for 24 hours at these temperatures significantly increased its tenderness (with shear forces decreasing 26%–72% compared to 1 hour of cooking). This tenderizing is caused by weakening of connective tissue and proteolytic enzymes decreasing myofibrillar tensile strength. Indeed, collagen begins to dissolve into gelatin above 122°F to 131°F (50°C to 55°C) (Neklyudov, 2003; This, 2006). Moreover, the sarcoplasmic protein enzyme collagenase remains active below 140°F (60°C) and can significantly tenderize the meat if held for more than 6 hours (Tornberg, 2005). This is why beef chuck roast cooked in a 131°F–140°F (55°C–60°C) water bath for 24–48 hours has the texture of filet mignon.