Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Miltank posted:

So I finished The Invisible Bridge, where can I read about what happens next?

e: Somewhat more seriously, I recommend Paul Slansky's The Clothes Have No Emperor

FMguru fucked around with this message at 19:59 on Jan 30, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nckdictator
Sep 8, 2006
Just..someone

Miltank posted:

If you want to go back some to the '60's Rule and Ruin covers some of those events from another perspective.

http://www.amazon.com/Rule-Ruin-Moderation-Destruction-Development/dp/0199975515

1994 Toyota Celica
Sep 11, 2008

by Nyc_Tattoo

ToxicSlurpee posted:

When one of Bush's top general informed the president that they'd need to double the total troops in Iraq to achieve their goals he was fired for "being negative."

Not just double. Eric Shinseki, Chief of Staff for the US Army in 2003, objected to the proposed 150,000 troops for Iraq by insisting they'd need a full 500,000. That cut directly against the 'fast and light' doctrine Rumsfeld was pushing at the Pentagon one passive-aggressive sticky note at a time, and so Shinseki was shitcanned. He was back in the news last year when he resigned as Secretary of Veterans' Affairs when all that VA malfeasance blew up.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
I wasn't following D&D yet back in 2008, so I have to ask: what was Obama's VP selection process like? Was Biden always the frontrunner? Were there any other candidates, even just speculatively?

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

gradenko_2000 posted:

I wasn't following D&D yet back in 2008, so I have to ask: what was Obama's VP selection process like? Was Biden always the frontrunner? Were there any other candidates, even just speculatively?

People weren't really surprised because "White Guy" makes sense as a counterbalance on the ticket, I don't really remember who people were talking about though.

vxsarin
Oct 29, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT MY AP WIRE PHOTOS

computer parts posted:

People weren't really surprised because "White Guy" makes sense as a counterbalance on the ticket, I don't really remember who people were talking about though.

I think there were 2 white women that kept getting talked about, but I can't remember who. I think Hillary Clinton was considered as well. John Kerry I wouldn't be surprised either.

Obviously that's just what I seemed to remember, so take it with a grain of salt.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Pukestain Pal posted:

I think there were 2 white women that kept getting talked about, but I can't remember who. I think Hillary Clinton was considered as well. John Kerry I wouldn't be surprised either.

Obviously that's just what I seemed to remember, so take it with a grain of salt.

I found a post here (requires archives):

quote:

I started my season on intrade with $200, intending to lose all my money if Obama won. Repeatedly betting that Hillary 'wasn't dead yet' paid off, and I now have $535 in the bank. I've bought 100 shares of McCain, so I get a thousand bucks if he wins, so I can buy a gun to shoot myself with.

With no elections, and money to spare, I'm now betting on the Veep choice. The pundits keep saying Obama needs somebody with foreign policy experience. But I remember in an interview that Obama said that foreign policy was his own area of expertise, and didn't need any help there. And this is the year of not loving with the senate- a filibuster proof majority means we get Supreme Leader Obama (or worthlessly crippled McCain, should he win). I'm guessing governor. So I win $500 if it's none of the following:

2008.DEM.VP.CLINTON(H) , although I still think he might do this if he thinks it's the surest way to win

Trade 2008.DEM.VP.WEBB Senator

Trade 2008.DEM.VP.EDWARDS been there, done that

Trade 2008.DEM.VP.OBAMA pre-occupied

Trade 2008.DEM.VP.RICHARDSON maybe, but running a black candidate is like juggling chainsaws, do
we need them to be on fire too?

Trade 2008.DEM.VP.GORE hasn't even endorsed. He wants nothing to do with this

Trade 2008.DEM.VP.CLARK why? Does anybody care about this guy? He was only considered in 2004 because we thought a military guy wouldn't be accused of being with the terrorists, and we all know how well that worked out

Trade 2008.DEM.VP.WARNER said no

Trade 2008.DEM.VP.BAYH senator

Trade 2008.DEM.VP.BIDEN senator

Trade 2008.DEM.VP.NUNN I remember a mad magazine article where Bill Clinton wonders what would
have happened if he were never born. In 1992, Tsongas/Nunn loses in a landslide

Trade 2008.DEM.VP.STRICKLAND said no

Trade 2008.DEM.VP.DASCHLE spineless wimp who aired an ad of himself hugging Bush to get
re-elected, and lost.

Trade 2008.DEM.VP.DODD senator who?

Trade 2008.DEM.VP.VILSACK V for Vendilsack's own candidacy went almost as well as Lamar Alexander's 2000 campaign.

Trade 2008.DEM.VP.KERREY Has admitted murdering children.

Right now "none of the above" is a buy at 30%. And in the wild bonus candidate section, I win an extra $250 if it's Kaine. With my current bets, If Obama picks Kaine and loses, my $200 initial bet will pay out over $3000.

So, uhh, go Kaine.

(bolding mine)

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

zeal posted:

Not just double. Eric Shinseki, Chief of Staff for the US Army in 2003, objected to the proposed 150,000 troops for Iraq by insisting they'd need a full 500,000. That cut directly against the 'fast and light' doctrine Rumsfeld was pushing at the Pentagon one passive-aggressive sticky note at a time, and so Shinseki was shitcanned. He was back in the news last year when he resigned as Secretary of Veterans' Affairs when all that VA malfeasance blew up.

The whole thing was a poo poo show of the highest order. They threw out all of the Clinton era plans for invading Iraq in favor of a business oriented military of getting the job done with as few people as possible, where it seems you can run a CVS with 4 people it turned out in fact you can't occupy a country on a skelton crew. Really if you haven't watched it, you have to watch Known Unknows with Rumsfeld. Like his response to the whole thing is the exact opposite of McNamara's in Fog of War, where he offers some defenses but I think you can tell he regretted the whole affair. Where as Ol'Rummy honestly thinks he did the best he could do and there wasn't anything he could have done to make it better. The beat part is when they go over how many memos he sent out looking for the exact definition of words.

On top of that the plans for the actual occupation were pretty much formed over night after the invasion had pretty much taken Baghdad and was just done on the fly, its utter maddness. That the Republicans are known as the party of Defense is absurd.

Nckdictator
Sep 8, 2006
Just..someone

computer parts posted:

I found a post here (requires archives):

(bolding mine)

Nunn would have been decent.

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

WARNING! INTRUDERS DETECTED

I remember a week or two before Biden was announced there were a lot of rumours that Obama was set on picking Evan Bayh, much to D&D's consternation. I think Biden was always one of the more credible possibilities and like computer parts said, when it was announced, people just nodded and agreed it made sense. I don't remember there being a lot of ink dedicated to this in Game Change, but it's a while since I read it.

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo

Antti posted:

I remember a week or two before Biden was announced there were a lot of rumours that Obama was set on picking Evan Bayh, much to D&D's consternation. I think Biden was always one of the more credible possibilities and like computer parts said, when it was announced, people just nodded and agreed it made sense. I don't remember there being a lot of ink dedicated to this in Game Change, but it's a while since I read it.
I remembered in the D&D thread, reporters were camping outside the homes of Obama's three final choices shortly before the announcement. Some goon decided to order a pizza online and have it delivered to Joe Biden's house and commented on it in real time. After some confusion (and some blogger reporting on it), the pizza guy gave the pizza to the reporters.

Also, The Unknown Known is the exact opposite of The Fog of War when it comes to getting insight and perspective from a SOD. Watch it only if you want to hatewatch something and get really annoyed.

Disinterested
Jun 29, 2011

You look like you're still raking it in. Still killing 'em?

Echo Chamber posted:

Also, The Unknown Known is the exact opposite of The Fog of War when it comes to getting insight and perspective from a SOD. Watch it only if you want to hatewatch something and get really annoyed.

McNamara sort of tried, but Vietnam was a much bigger clusterfuck than Iraq, and McNamara was still quietly evasive about a lot of stuff (Diem, CIA activities more generally, war crimes). But he made contrite sounds, which is something.

baw
Nov 5, 2008

RESIDENT: LAISSEZ FAIR-SNEZHNEVSKY INSTITUTE FOR FORENSIC PSYCHIATRY

Miltank posted:

Age of Reagan by Sean Wilentz is an alright read, Restless Giant is boring. Kinda slim picking as far as I know as you get start getting into the 80;s, there just hasn't been enough time yet for there to be any really great scholarship, and writers are still walking on eggshells when they criticize Reagan because of how venerated he is by certain groups today. Invisible Bridge was refreshing in that sense.

Instead of plowing forward, I'd recommend reading more about the 60s and 70s, someone mentioned "Rule and Ruin" which I'm going to read after I'm done with Gould's "The Republicans."

If you haven't read Garry Wills "Nixon Agonistes," then do that, along with HST "Fear and Loathing On The Campaign Trail '72." You should also read something about Eisenhower, I'd recommend Jean Edward Smith's biography, just to see how much the party has changed. "Ike and Dick" is also a very entertaining and poignant dissection of the relationship between the General and his VP, as you can see the early insecurities and resentments in Nixon that would prove to be his downfall. I really think that understanding Nixon, both who he was as a person and how he managed to rise to the presidency, is essential to understanding current American politics.

Disinterested
Jun 29, 2011

The Haldeman Diaries used to be a stock read for the curious about the insider track on Nixon, if I recall correctly.

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

Disinterested posted:

McNamara sort of tried, but Vietnam was a much bigger clusterfuck than Iraq, and McNamara was still quietly evasive about a lot of stuff (Diem, CIA activities more generally, war crimes). But he made contrite sounds, which is something.

Yeah he was very dodgy about some topics but I wouldn't be surprised if that's because that's also stuff he knows that might still be classified. But with him in the Fog of War, I feel like he at least conveys the thought process that lead to all those mistakes, that in hindsight are am unreasonable disaster but at the time made logical sense.

Where as Rumsfeld doesn't really say much of anything besides acting like nothing wrong happened, and his thought process still is still a mystery. Just, you can hear the tone on incredulity in the interviers voice when he responds to him. Like when Rumsfeld says he never read on the Torture Memos and that they didn't really come out of the Bush Administration they came out of the Department of Justice.

Whereas in Fog of War at one point McNamara is asked if he regrets it, toward the end and he says he's rather not tali about that, but I got the impression just from everything that came before it you could that he did. And I really think he keeps his mouth shut about some topics because of the possible classification issue but maybe not to tar (anymore than some have been) reputation of those who aren't around anymore, which is fair when it comes to LBJ who did try and do a lot of really positive things and maybe not so much when it comes to LeMay, who's views on nuclear war were very similar to that I'd Castro's.

As for books about the 80s, I would suggest David Sirota's Back to Our Future, which isn't by any means a rigorous academic treatment but is still an interesting read about how the 80s shaped today. As for books about the 70s, Dominic Sandbrook's Mad As Hell was interesting.

Disinterested
Jun 29, 2011

I think McNamara, like a lot of Kennedy people, tried to dump as little on JFK as possible and tried to load more blame on to LBJ. That's been a tendency with a lot of JFK insiders since the 60's.

But yeah, he was obviously sorry and thought LeMay was a madman (if also brave and competent).

baw
Nov 5, 2008

Not sure where else to put this but it's pretty cool.

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

Disinterested posted:

I think McNamara, like a lot of Kennedy people, tried to dump as little on JFK as possible and tried to load more blame on to LBJ. That's been a tendency with a lot of JFK insiders since the 60's.

But yeah, he was obviously sorry and thought LeMay was a madman (if also brave and competent).

I think it's a weak point in American politics that people don't won't to criticize Kennedy cause he was murdered in office. The constant insistence that if it had been JFK and not LBJ we wouldn't have gotten involved in Vietnam is also an argument I've never really found convincing

esto es malo
Aug 3, 2006

Don't want to end up a cartoon

In a cartoon graveyard

PittTheElder posted:

Just change the name to Canadian Thanksgiving.

A-Ham is alright, but I'd still pick Robert Reich. Both for serious reasons, and because of this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kWliylnxSrA

His son Sam is also hilarious; if you're a fan of CollegeHumor original videos you'll know who he is.

Heh, Don glover was in that skit.

edit: i dont know why i went back to some point in the thread like 5 months prior, i blame mobile browsing

esto es malo fucked around with this message at 02:20 on Feb 2, 2015

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich
Something I'm wondering, what were the alternative policy positions for the Executive branch for dealing with Ethiopia during the whole Farmaid campaign?

Pervis
Jan 12, 2001

YOSPOS

KomradeX posted:

Yeah he was very dodgy about some topics but I wouldn't be surprised if that's because that's also stuff he knows that might still be classified. But with him in the Fog of War, I feel like he at least conveys the thought process that lead to all those mistakes, that in hindsight are am unreasonable disaster but at the time made logical sense.

I got the distinct impression McNamara really wanted people to understand how the decisions were made, and what they were thinking (and why) as they were making them, so that people could avoid the same mistakes in the future. The really killer part of that interview was when he was talking about when he found out years later at a conference that there were nukes already there on Cuba during the crisis, and how close we came to a no-poo poo nuclear war. Castro apparently wanted to use them during the crisis, but they were under Russian control.

Disinterested
Jun 29, 2011

Pervis posted:

I got the distinct impression McNamara really wanted people to understand how the decisions were made, and what they were thinking (and why) as they were making them, so that people could avoid the same mistakes in the future. The really killer part of that interview was when he was talking about when he found out years later at a conference that there were nukes already there on Cuba during the crisis, and how close we came to a no-poo poo nuclear war. Castro apparently wanted to use them during the crisis, but they were under Russian control.

Although this fact had been outed a while before by a few people, including former Cuban intelligence servicemen (who were baffled the US didn't know the missiles were there).

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
I watched John Frankenheimer's Path to War with Michael Gambon as LBJ and was very moved, although I did feel like it tried to humanize McNamara too much.

I'm currently working my way through Oliver Stone's Nixon and I also have "Our Nixon" after that. Any significant misrepresentations I should keep in mind?

Disinterested
Jun 29, 2011

gradenko_2000 posted:

I'm currently working my way through Oliver Stone's Nixon and I also have "Our Nixon" after that. Any significant misrepresentations I should keep in mind?

No fictional depiction of Nixon has ever made him look as bad as he really was, I guess because they want to demonstrate why people found him likeable enough to elect.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

baw
Nov 5, 2008

A lot of new information about Nixon has come to light only in recent years, and most of the books covering the newest material aren't even out in paperback yet.

• Locked thread