Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rusty Kettle
Apr 10, 2005
Ultima! Ahmmm-bing!
Played this game yesterday as my very first RPG experience. It was good fun. I think the system is okay but all of my experience stems from reading Dungeon World and Bundle of Holding pdfs. I would have rather played something else but I am not really in a position to sway the group. I really didn't care for the 'random' and 'weird' aspects of it. It seems like every other RPG I have read as some consistency as to why things are the way they are, and a limit as to how 'weird' things can get. Eventually, things get so over the top that it seemed hard for the GM to surprise anyone. In something like Night's Black Agents, there is an underlying conspiracy that gradually becomes more and more ridiculous. In Paranoia, the PCs are learning more and more about the 'logic' of the computer and the world they live in. In this system, no one really cares because it is hard to come up with something so crazy and astounding that tops the previous crazy thing. So I guess the setting isn't for me.

Everyone seemed to have fun, so there's that. I'll play for the next few weeks and see if I get people interested in something better later.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

eighty-four merc
Dec 22, 2010

In 2020, we're going to make the end of Fight Club real.
I just started playing one of these campaigns with a group of my friends. It's pretty good fun, but the way the stats work is pretty dumb imho. Like it's just as hard to deadlift 300 pounds (a thing that any able bodied man can easily do) as it is to have a six-foot vertical (a thing that literally no one can do), and neither has anything to do with how many points you've invested in might. Just the idea that a cyborg from a billion years in the future is definitely going to drop your couch when he tries to help you carry it down a couple flights of stairs is hilarious to me.

Capntastic
Jan 13, 2005

A dog begins eating a dusty old coil of rope but there's a nail in it.

SLAMMYsosa posted:

I just started playing one of these campaigns with a group of my friends. It's pretty good fun, but the way the stats work is pretty dumb imho. Like it's just as hard to deadlift 300 pounds (a thing that any able bodied man can easily do) as it is to have a six-foot vertical (a thing that literally no one can do), and neither has anything to do with how many points you've invested in might. Just the idea that a cyborg from a billion years in the future is definitely going to drop your couch when he tries to help you carry it down a couple flights of stairs is hilarious to me.

That's why you tell the future-cyborg-fighter to sit this one out and have the future-cyborg-wizard levitate it or make the entire party fly or level the building.

Dec 26, 2012

Rusty Kettle posted:

Played this game yesterday as my very first RPG experience. It was good fun. I think the system is okay but all of my experience stems from reading Dungeon World and Bundle of Holding pdfs. I would have rather played something else but I am not really in a position to sway the group. I really didn't care for the 'random' and 'weird' aspects of it. It seems like every other RPG I have read as some consistency as to why things are the way they are, and a limit as to how 'weird' things can get. Eventually, things get so over the top that it seemed hard for the GM to surprise anyone. In something like Night's Black Agents, there is an underlying conspiracy that gradually becomes more and more ridiculous. In Paranoia, the PCs are learning more and more about the 'logic' of the computer and the world they live in. In this system, no one really cares because it is hard to come up with something so crazy and astounding that tops the previous crazy thing. So I guess the setting isn't for me.

Everyone seemed to have fun, so there's that. I'll play for the next few weeks and see if I get people interested in something better later.

As starter systems go you could certainly do worse, the mechanics are very simple and fast. Quick fixes include making your focus abilities key off any stat you like (instead of intellect for nearly all the fun ones), combining various skills into broader ones, and coming up with less obnoxious methods to get XP.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters
Seems like as a GM you could just hand out XP whenever you wanted - it's a rules-lite-enough game that bending things here and there doesn't really shatter the entire experience, unlike games like Pathfinder or such where everything is woven together.

FRINGE
May 23, 2003
title stolen for lf posting
This game will probably fill-in and pick up once Torment is out.

Fashionable Jorts
Jan 18, 2010

Maybe if I'm busy it could keep me from you

Been reading up on this game, and it seems like it'll be a great fit for my group. The emphasis on storytelling and player/gm interaction (and not needing 12 spreadsheets to track your character) looks like it'll be way more fun than the turn-based combat simulators a lot of other rpgs seem to turn into.

Probably going to run a test game of it within the next week.

Are there any good 3rd party resources for it? Things like additional skills and items, as the core book does seem a little bare bones.

FRINGE
May 23, 2003

kannonfodder posted:

Been reading up on this game, and it seems like it'll be a great fit for my group. The emphasis on storytelling and player/gm interaction (and not needing 12 spreadsheets to track your character) looks like it'll be way more fun than the turn-based combat simulators a lot of other rpgs seem to turn into.

Probably going to run a test game of it within the next week.

Are there any good 3rd party resources for it? Things like additional skills and items, as the core book does seem a little bare bones.
Theres already supplements for it, but I havent looked at any of them yet.

Fashionable Jorts
Jan 18, 2010

FRINGE posted:

Theres already supplements for it, but I havent looked at any of them yet.
Ahh, I'll definitely look to see what they add. Going from pathfinder/3.5 where there is an overabundance of content for character creation to this game is a little jarring.

FRINGE
May 23, 2003

kannonfodder posted:

Ahh, I'll definitely look to see what they add. Going from pathfinder/3.5 where there is an overabundance of content for character creation to this game is a little jarring.
When the classes are like: "I want to be able to do a thing" and the built in answer is "ok you can do a thing" that cuts down on a lot of supplemental books. :)

I think there needs to be a lot more setting and "how to" stuff to make the narratives work. Its like Planescape gained a lot of inertia after Planescape Torment. (Which is why I have a feeling there will be a bigger push after the new Torment comes out.)

Anyway, theres stuff:
http://www.montecookgames.com/shop/
http://www.montecookgames.com/announcing-character-options-for-numenera/

... but like I said I havent looked at any of it at all, so good luck!

Dec 26, 2012

I have the character options book and if you're down with the base system I would recommend it. It doesn't solve the underlying system issues or anything but every kind of character gets some nice stuff.

No idea what they're going to do with the new Torment. The system is pretty simplistic to the point where I feel like they'd have to shuffle around a bunch of it to make it crunch in any satisfying way.

FRINGE
May 23, 2003

01011001 posted:

I have the character options book and if you're down with the base system I would recommend it. It doesn't solve the underlying system issues or anything but every kind of character gets some nice stuff.

No idea what they're going to do with the new Torment. The system is pretty simplistic to the point where I feel like they'd have to shuffle around a bunch of it to make it crunch in any satisfying way.
Theyre building a philosophy/emotion system into it that will change the course of the game as you play. I also (think I) remember that they will print a supplement after/with the game to introduce that element into pnp games.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters
I'm going to be creating characters and probably running the intro adventure (the Beale of whatever) sometime soon with some friends. Aside from keying focus abilities to whatever stat the players want on creation, anything else I should keep in mind with regards to either char creation or running my first adventure?

Fashionable Jorts
Jan 18, 2010

Played a game of it last night with a couple friends, and gotta say I'm in love with this system. The relaxed nature of the rules really fits in with our play style, and first things the players did was wonderfully creative. The intrusions are a ton of fun, but I kept forgetting to use them.

I think that the system really encourages people to be creative with their play, over building the best character.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

FRINGE posted:

When the classes are like: "I want to be able to do a thing" and the built in answer is "ok you can do a thing" that cuts down on a lot of supplemental books. :)

I think there needs to be a lot more setting and "how to" stuff to make the narratives work. Its like Planescape gained a lot of inertia after Planescape Torment. (Which is why I have a feeling there will be a bigger push after the new Torment comes out.)

Anyway, theres stuff:
http://www.montecookgames.com/shop/
http://www.montecookgames.com/announcing-character-options-for-numenera/

... but like I said I havent looked at any of it at all, so good luck!

Under the most optimistic estimate that's still a year and a half away though. Planescape did raise a little bit of awareness among gamers but it still came out two years after the line had been killed, hopefully this isn't history repeating itself.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.
Recently, Monte Cooke and his colleagues did a video showing off Numenera in play. It might be helpful for people interested in the system.

Edit: I remember someone was wondering if you should tell the player the difficulty of the task before they preform it, it seems like the answer is "yes, especially if they ask."

Covok fucked around with this message at 05:45 on Oct 21, 2014

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
I might have just missed it, but have they mentioned anything about releasing a sourcebook for all the setting and lore they're creating for the video game?

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

That's happening. I think it's due to release either with or just after the game itself.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.
It was a kickstarter goal for the video game. This means they either release at the same time or they wait a bit so the kickstarter guys get to feel exclusive.

Dec 26, 2012

Covok posted:

I remember someone was wondering if you should tell the player the difficulty of the task before they preform it, it seems like the answer is "yes, especially if they ask."

Well, that's one answer, anyway.

the example of play in the core book posted:

GM: Okay, Bruce. That’s going to be an Intellect task.
BRUCE: I’m going to use a level of Effort. I have an Edge of 1 in Intellect, so it will cost me 2 points from my Pool.

The GM knows there’s nothing to find at the doorway, but she muses for half a second as if pretending to figure out a target number.

GM: Roll.

:v:

Covok
May 27, 2013

01011001 posted:

Well, that's one answer, anyway.

:v:

Personally, my mistake probably works out better in play.

Also, I guess someone should mention there are 18 hours are left for the kickstarter for the Numenera boxed set edition.

Also, I haven't really played the game in a long time, but, due to the walking eye, I've been thinking about it since then. So, odd thought, but would adding your max might and speed pool together to get health be a good idea of detaching the "action point" system and the health system of the game?

Covok fucked around with this message at 07:56 on Dec 12, 2014

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

The Ninth World Guidebook (the world sourcebook and last one funded in the Kickstarter) is finally shipping. My copy is in the post, so I'll give a quick review when it gets here. A word of advance warning though. I'll probably like it. I'm largely indifferent to the system, but I love the world they've created.

Regardless of the mechanics of it, the line is clearly selling pretty well. They're doing well enough to have two more sourcebooks on the go, not counting the Torment one they promised during the Tides of Numenera kickstarter.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Oh, so they actually are doing a book all about the setting? Any idea if it just focuses on the 9th world or if it give hints on the previous worlds?

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

Covok posted:

Oh, so they actually are doing a book all about the setting? Any idea if it just focuses on the 9th world or if it give hints on the previous worlds?

Yep. It's a pure setting guide. I suspect it'll only focus on Ninth World Earth, they seem to be pretty keen on keeping what happened on the previous Earths obscure. The next setting book Into the Night is going to be about off-world settings. Presumably things like the Moon, space stations in orbit and Mars, so they're clearly not tied to 'Ninth World only', but I don't think there'll ever be a previous worlds sourcebook, honestly.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
I grabbed it off Drivethru yesterday and through my glance through it's REALLY nice. I'm a sucker for worldbuilding so this is up my alley anyway but it has just enough meat to be very useful, while not spelling literally everything out so the GM has tons of wiggle room.

There are some hints at beyond the current earth, but yea they're clearly saving that for its own book, and I'm a-okay with that, gives plenty of focus to the actual world you're playing in first priority. You're just not going to play in the, like, sixth world, that's the point of the game, but there are a couple hints and bits at what these eras were possibly like, in some areas.

SunAndSpring
Dec 4, 2013
At the very least the art is good. Shame that I've grown to really dislike the mechanics over time. Maybe if they do a second edition or update the rule sets, that'd be nice, but it's Monte so that's gonna be a long shot.

ScottyBomb
Oct 24, 2005

Cthulhu loves me, this I know, for ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn!!

CottonWolf posted:

The Ninth World Guidebook (the world sourcebook and last one funded in the Kickstarter) is finally shipping. My copy is in the post, so I'll give a quick review when it gets here. A word of advance warning though. I'll probably like it. I'm largely indifferent to the system, but I love the world they've created.

Regardless of the mechanics of it, the line is clearly selling pretty well. They're doing well enough to have two more sourcebooks on the go, not counting the Torment one they promised during the Tides of Numenera kickstarter.

The book has stuff from the existing Steadfast/Beyond area, but actually focuses a lot on other, previously unexplored regions of the Ninth World. It's pretty good stuff, and finally gives us a look at the Gaians up north who the Amber Pope is so worried about (and another group from a different region who the Steadfast should *ACTUALLY* be seriously worried about.)

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

ScottyBomb posted:

The book has stuff from the existing Steadfast/Beyond area, but actually focuses a lot on other, previously unexplored regions of the Ninth World. It's pretty good stuff, and finally gives us a look at the Gaians up north who the Amber Pope is so worried about (and another group from a different region who the Steadfast should *ACTUALLY* be seriously worried about.)

Yeah. Based on having read the first half at this point, I think that this is the best Numenera book by far, corebook included (disclaimer, I don't have Sir Arthour's Guide). The story seeds are better, the locations are more interesting. The first real chapter, life in the Ninth World is great. Constellations, the weather and Mercury being missing. Then there's some good stuff on random generation of locations, and city vs. country life. This is a good book, and it would still be a good book if you just wanted to mine the setting for use with a different ruleset.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ScottyBomb
Oct 24, 2005

Cthulhu loves me, this I know, for ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn!!

CottonWolf posted:

Yeah. Based on having read the first half at this point, I think that this is the best Numenera book by far, corebook included (disclaimer, I don't have Sir Arthour's Guide). The story seeds are better, the locations are more interesting. The first real chapter, life in the Ninth World is great. Constellations, the weather and Mercury being missing. Then there's some good stuff on random generation of locations, and city vs. country life. This is a good book, and it would still be a good book if you just wanted to mine the setting for use with a different ruleset.

Sir Arthur's Guide has some good stuff in it, and is worth picking up especially if you want to make use of AIs or robots as PCs or plot movers, but I'd agree the setting book is solid.

• Locked thread