Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
I just plain don't think you can get investors on board to make an RTS at this point. If you're not generating extra revenue with microtransactions or gatcha games or whatever crap I just don't see it happening, no matter the pedigree.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

You'd think selling skins in an RTS like WC3 would be a goldmine. Different skins for the various heroes, skins for the factions, etc.

Hell if they go pay-to-win they could release paid heroes for each faction

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

Being realistic isn't as fun because we all know what WC4 will actually be is a cell phone game riddled with micro transactions, if it gets made at all

Elephunk
Dec 6, 2007

jokes posted:

You'd think selling skins in an RTS like WC3 would be a goldmine. Different skins for the various heroes, skins for the factions, etc.

Hell if they go pay-to-win they could release paid heroes for each faction

I mean, many other people have tried - isn't Age of Empires IV out right now and decently succesful? It probably has skins too.

I really have no idea what makes WC3/Broodwar feel so different than other games. Even Starcraft 2 felt bad and weak to me, even on release. It's super cool to watch ASL Broodwar in 2022. It would be awesome to see some $9.99 indie Steam game RTS modeled after the greats do really well... we've seen stranger things happen since the dawn of video games.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
I actually prefer to play SC2 to BW but the latter is so much more fun to watch it's hilarious.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

FoolyCharged posted:

Being realistic isn't as fun because we all know what WC4 will actually be is a cell phone game riddled with micro transactions, if it gets made at all

exactly

we conjecture about WC4 because that is the only way that it will exist in any form

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015

Ainsley McTree posted:

Honestly I've tried playing wow and I can't make heads or tails of what the story of that game is supposed to be. I joined late and the game has no interest in telling me what the story of anything but the current expansion is, i guess you just need a wiki at this point

The *real* problem is that the *important* story from each expansion really happened in the Patch Content, and the game is very bad at letting new players see that. You have to go out of your way to find any of it, and even then you probably need a guide to know what to do in what order to get a proper sequence of events.

Med School
Feb 27, 2012

Where did you learn how to do that?

Doctor Spaceman posted:

WoW has Sylvanas' faction of free undead join the Orcs (and the rest of the Horde). It was an alliance out of practicality and shared dislike of the, umm, Alliance.

This was pretty good back in vanilla wow. You would alwys find some random undead npc who was planning to poison members of the rest of the horde races, or gently caress with them in other ways

The Wiggly Wizard
Aug 21, 2008

Stay tuned everyone!!

https://twitter.com/Warcraft3/status/1588672338203377664

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe

How about you unbreak the single player campaign that would be cool too

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

You know what might look better on your nose?

tactlessbastard posted:

How about you unbreak the single player campaign that would be cool too

WC3 is an esport now. It certainly fits the usual Blizzard treatment of those.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Custom campaigns when

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

I got a weird survey from Blizzard in my e-mail, asking me what I would want to see improved in Warcraft III Reforged. I mean... just fix the entire game up to the standards that were originally promised to begin with?

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

If you told them that you might get banned

Feldegast42
Oct 29, 2011

COMMENCE THE RITE OF SHITPOSTING

I said come in! posted:

I got a weird survey from Blizzard in my e-mail, asking me what I would want to see improved in Warcraft III Reforged. I mean... just fix the entire game up to the standards that were originally promised to begin with?

Hell just fixing the game up to its previous standards before the remake would be good enough

Mr.Acula
May 10, 2009

Billions and billions of fat clouds

I said come in! posted:

Tell them to add breast milk as an item from the Goblin shop

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Is there a list anywhere of levels that are updated in the Reforged version to more accurate maps? I want to play through the game again and I want to see the changed maps, but I also don't want to use the new graphics except when necessary for that content.

I know The Culling is, the Quel'thalas missions are, and that Necromancer Kel'thuzad has a new boss. Does the invasion of Dalaran in the Undead campaign get revamped? Is there anything else?

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

I wonder how many of the responses they get from that poll are just some variation on "stop driving your employees to suicide."

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015

SirSamVimes posted:

Is there a list anywhere of levels that are updated in the Reforged version to more accurate maps? I want to play through the game again and I want to see the changed maps, but I also don't want to use the new graphics except when necessary for that content.

I know The Culling is, the Quel'thalas missions are, and that Necromancer Kel'thuzad has a new boss. Does the invasion of Dalaran in the Undead campaign get revamped? Is there anything else?

Take note that the campaigns in Classic Graphics and Reforged Graphics are treated as separate campaigns by the game in terms of progress and inventory bank data and stuff like that.

Of note, *most* of the maps in Reign of Chaos have seen some sort of adjustment (in particular, making Hard Mode actually exiist and being actually hard on a level comparable to the Frozen Throne hard mode), but in terms of actual terrain being changed for lore accuracy, it's just Stratholme, Silvermoon, and any missions involving Dalaran.

As for Necromancer Kel'thuzad being a boss fight now, they made him a hero unit, and added some presentation to the various enemies in his area, but Kel'thuzad himself still doesn't really do anything special aside from use Death Pact if you try to ignore his units.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

BlazetheInferno posted:

Take note that the campaigns in Classic Graphics and Reforged Graphics are treated as separate campaigns by the game in terms of progress and inventory bank data and stuff like that.

No switching back and forth? Well that sucks.

Maybe I'll do RoC with reforged and TFT in classic mode then.

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015

SirSamVimes posted:

No switching back and forth? Well that sucks.

Maybe I'll do RoC with reforged and TFT in classic mode then.

Bear in mind that by "progress" I also refer to unlocking later levels and campaigns; you may have to speed through RoC on classic to unlock the TFT campaigns. They're not separated out into RoC or TFT anymore, they're just all in sequence. Just using the instant victory cheat does work though. Of note, Dalaran in the first few Blood Elf levels are also reterrained, but it's far less important there.

Also, in a very rare instance of Reforged fixing something instead of breaking it, there's a trigger in the very last mission of TFT, A Symphony of Frost and Flame, that causes earthquakes that deal damage to all buildings owned by the enemy of whoever takes an Obelisk, every time (so all enemies' buildings take damage when you take one, all your buildings take damage whenever Illidan takes one).

This trigger exists in the original map, but it was BROKEN. It's re-enabled in the Reforged version.

Klaus88
Jan 23, 2011

Violence has its own economy, therefore be thoughtful and precise in your investment
Uh oh, I'm experiences that old familiar urge to reinstall WC3 again!

God I love the modding scene for this game.

Mr.Acula posted:

Tell them to add breast milk as an item from the Goblin shop

It took me longer then it should to understand what you're doing here. Ace all around.

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe

I said come in! posted:

It would be cool if the sentinel of the tides campaign didn’t have a crash to desktop bug on the protect the messenger mission

Jinnigan
Feb 12, 2007

We shall pay him a visit. There will be a picnic. Tea shall be served.
was looking through old youtube favorites and found this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q-psBvQJpyk

can you believe this stuff used to pass for high octane gameplay

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

It's fun OP, sorry you were bad at it

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Jinnigan posted:

was looking through old youtube favorites and found this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q-psBvQJpyk

can you believe this stuff used to pass for high octane gameplay

The dark of night has disappeared

uniball
Oct 10, 2003

fwiw mata roasted me for how low octane some of those clips were back in 2008

Carpator Diei
Feb 26, 2011
Since custom campaigns finally work again, an interesting one that fits rather well with the topic of this thread is Warcraft 3 Re-Reforged, an attempt to actually somewhat deliver on the promises made by Blizzard for the Reforged campaigns. Only the Orc prologue campaign and Scourge of Lordaeron are done as of yet, but they look quite well-made.

Jinnigan
Feb 12, 2007

We shall pay him a visit. There will be a picnic. Tea shall be served.
now this is the good poo poo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yuugycc71Pw

The Wiggly Wizard
Aug 21, 2008

I love observatory units so much

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

Yeah the zepp was the best overall but I'd get use out of all three at some point or another

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

someone introduce jojo to lazyb

sapper suicide runs are so hype when they swing matches

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

So many accusations of hacking when you'd pop an expo tree going up

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

You'll hit your head and say: 'Boy, how stupid could I have been. A moron could've figured this out. I must be a real dimwit. A pathetic nimnal. A wretched idiotic excuse for a human being for not having figured these simple puzzles out in the first place...As usual, you've been a real pantload!
One of my favorite zep strats is using mortar teams to make holes in the enemy tree line behind the main, then assaulting them while protected by trees.