Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Every new update brings me closer and closer to paying the subscription.

But not yet... I can't do it, yet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

toymach1ne
Sep 27, 2011
what would push you over the edge?

neato burrito
Aug 25, 2002

bitch better have my chex mix

All the Metallica would be a good start.

:911:

toymach1ne
Sep 27, 2011
https://theriffrepeater.com/exclusive-interview-with-colin-chu-and-lucas-walker-ubisoft-rocksmith-piano/

I had the opportunity to go to the Ubisoft SF studio and interview two developers about Rocksmith+ Piano

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

toymach1ne posted:

what would push you over the edge?

Probably a price reduction - I get that there's a lot to be said about what they've been producing but I think they're putting a lot of people off by making it $20/mo unless you sign up for a year in advance and even then it's still over :10bux: a month.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Mac support. Xbox support. What I’m saying is I don’t want to buy a dedicated laptop for this.

toymach1ne
Sep 27, 2011

Tesseraction posted:

Probably a price reduction - I get that there's a lot to be said about what they've been producing but I think they're putting a lot of people off by making it $20/mo unless you sign up for a year in advance and even then it's still over :10bux: a month.

It's still discounted on Amazon, although I saw a case on reddit with someone that had it not activate

https://twitter.com/TheRiffRepeater/status/1768340526032449588

Rusty Kettle
Apr 10, 2005
Ultima! Ahmmm-bing!
Just signed up and tried it again. It is worlds better than my initial try on launch. I can justify the price by thinking of it as Spotify+guitar, so the price point of a little over Spotify's makes sense to me. That being said, obviously its library is much much smaller than Spotify, and I imagine the licensing is hard for some reason. But ultimately I feel like that is the goal. Also, you only hit this price if you commit to a year, which is harder to shallow.

After hundreds of hours in R2014, there are favorite songs that I've played dozens of times that I miss. But other than missing these, everything else is much much better. The tracking seems more accurate. I like the various stats that it tracks in relation to my skill. I personally disliked the mini games, so I do not miss them.

IMO, I feel like they are a few big library updates away from my abandoning R2014 altogether. The recent additions make me a little more hopeful that they will get to this point. For instance, one of my favorite songs to play is Dream Theater's Fatal Tragedy, even though I 'shred' my way through the solo. With all the other recent DT songs, I can see it coming eventually. There are other bands on InsideOut that seem like they could show up as well, and hopefully they can sort out the U.S. Metallica situation so I don't need to mess around with the VPN. It is a dumb nuisance.

I play through an interface, and it was painless to get working. R2014 required a hack that wasn't too bad, but still was a small challenge to figure out. I miss the mixer being easy to get to. Right now it is buried in the options and I don't think it can be changed midsong. I turn off the game's guitar and use my Axefx, so I would like the ability to change the guitar level on a song by song basis. But that is a specific ask.

That is my impression after an evening with today's R+. It is trending in the right direction. I hope that a year's worth of library/feature updates can tear me away from R2014. Right now I plan on using it as much as I can, but still feel the pull towards my favorites in R2014. When I first tried R+, I honestly felt scammed. This time I feel like it has barely crossed the threshold into 'worth it' territory for me personally. Depending on someone's budget and personal tastes, I have an easier time recommending it now. Hopefully they keep up the good work.

Edit: one last suggestion would be if we can sort songs by popularity when browsing by genre. This would help sift through some of the bloat.

Edit 2: Another roadblock to me switching permanently: 7 string support. At least R2014 removes the top string and has a color mod. This seems like a no-brainer and it is very odd that they haven't at least done this bare minimum in R+.

Rusty Kettle fucked around with this message at 15:53 on May 2, 2024

toymach1ne
Sep 27, 2011

Rusty Kettle posted:

Edit: one last suggestion would be if we can sort songs by popularity when browsing by genre. This would help sift through some of the bloat.

Like popularity of how many times the songs have been played on the service?

Rusty Kettle
Apr 10, 2005
Ultima! Ahmmm-bing!

toymach1ne posted:

Like popularity of how many times the songs have been played on the service?

Maybe, but that would unfairly bias older songs... Maybe there is some metric (or combination of metrics) like peak on Billboard chart, cost to license, etc. Maybe even use something like Ultimate guitar's tab popularity if that data is open. Or songs that were featured in R2014+DLC and/or Rock Band/Guitar Hero. Ubisoft has play stats from R2014, so perhaps leverage those. (Cherub rock will be an outlier) Or even Spotify/YouTube playcounts. I feel like some combination of these can lead to a fairly accurate 'popularity' score.

Maybe this is what 'sort by Relevance' is doing, but I still need to dig. Ultimately its fine to have access to lots of B-sides, but I first want to see songs that would be 'disc worthy' if this game was a physical product.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

toymach1ne
Sep 27, 2011
https://theriffrepeater.com/rocksmith-celebrates-cinco-de-mayo-with-la-bamba-los-lobos-ritchie-valens-guitar-bass-piano/

Rocksmith+ adds two versions of La Bamba to celebrate Cinco De Mayo