Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
aBagorn
Aug 26, 2004
Speaking of Carmine, I really think that if anyone was going to get an Oscar nom for best supporting actor it should have been Renner over Cooper.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A True Jar Jar Fan
Nov 3, 2003

Primadonna

Renner definitely deserves it over Cooper.

echoplex posted:

Exactly how I felt. Carmine's ending was at odds with the rest of the tone of the film, which I found a bit troubling.
How would you describe the rest of the tone of the film? It was sad that the most well intentioned person in the film is the one who gets the worst end, but that felt totally appropriate to me in a film centered around a group of people joyfully ruining lives.

Phobic Nest
Oct 2, 2013

You Are My Sunshine
I liked this movie quite a bit. "Everyone hustles everyone" may not be the most original observation, but the character interaction as they all attempt to con each other for their personal reasons made a pretty entertaining ride.

My only real disappointment with the movie: I thought for sure that at the end Bale would lose the combover.

After opening the movie on the spectacularly Trump-like hairdo and monologuing repeatedly about fooling yourself as well as others, the hair seemed to have pretty obvious symbolic meaning. When the character tried to go straight and live honestly, it just seemed to follow that the hair would go too.

FunkyAl
Mar 28, 2010

Your vitals soar.
I walked out of this really disappointed and it's been tough for me to place why, exactly. It's like, the movie almost works in a lot of different places, and sometimes you are watching it and thinking "wow Amy Adams/Jennifer Lawrence/Louie is giving a really good performance right this exact second" but then the rest of the time it feels like you're watching a bunch of actors who just got up from a nap and are really looking forward to taking another nap, going through the motions of a story that is supposed to be circuitous or generally complicated in some way even though the director is clearly not interested in telling it. About half the jokes played well and then the other half felt like that video where they removed the laugh track from the big bang theory. It just felt sloppy, I guess.

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006
I've always been terribly bored by Jeremy Renner on screen. I'm really impressed that he was able to excel so well in a role that ideally would have been played by Joe Pesci thirty years ago.

Slackerish
Jan 1, 2007

Hail Boognish
Jeremy Renner's character was pretty forgettable and while his performance was good it didn't match up to the "wacky very unsubtle satire"-esque poo poo that all the other actors are getting recognition for.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010

bam thwok posted:

American Hustle had all the trappings of a masterful film: Trunk shots borrowed from Tarantino, the legend himself, De Niro, as the big bad mob boss, the period stylings of Argo, the promise of titillating sex, corrupting drugs, and an intricate miasma of "what's the con and what isn't?" hanging over the characters' heads. But all of those are subverted.

The trunk shot reveals a tchotchke. De Niro has less than 5 minutes of screen time, and his threat miraculously evaporates. The over-the-top production design serves as a distraction and repulses us rather than invites us into its ambiance. As best as I can recall, for a movie that looked to be as sexy and drug-addled as this one, no one has any actual sex (and the subject is consistently avoided or balked at; in the flashback to Sydney's stripper days, her nipples are fully covered. Rosenfeld's son is only his by adoption, removing even the implication of him having sex. Syndey delays and rebuffs DiMaso's advances until the last possible PG-13 moment [and quickly turns violent when it crosses that threshold]), and aside from DiMaso quietly snorting a pinch of coke/uppers and then doing nothing in particular besides politely stand around, the most commonly used drug was heart medication, and its consequences were nil. And the cons/lies are appallingly superficial, never with more than one layer, and never lasting particularly long - conceived and planned unseen between cuts.

The metaphor of the forger as the true master is an obvious one, but it does not do a particularly good job of describing the characters. What does, however, is the very first scene of the movie when Rosenfeld, with an expert, practiced routine, ornately styles his comeover only to be immediately exposed by DiMaso. The aspirations and actions of these characters to present themselves masterfully as something they are not is laughably bad. Rosenfeld, from the get go, looks like the smarmiest, least trust-worthy man in history, and everyone seems to have this impression of him right away. Sydney's British accent is preposterously bad -an imitation of what a posh English lady might sound like that only a former stripper from Albuquerque could devise. DiMaso is Mr. Magoo-like in his lack of prowess in law enforcement, and every single one of his schemes or ideas is immediately identified as pathetically dumb by those around him.

And yet, the plot is contrived such that every other character plays along with them each step of the way, even their adversaries as they defy their own instincts with only the flimsiest of reassurances. But more damning than that, the audience has no choice but to play along, too. They are forced to accept and tolerate the garish production, the frankly baffling actions of characters that constantly contradict themselves, jarring switches in voice-over perspective, indulgent shots borrowed from other directors, Bradley Cooper with a perm, the length, and logic-defying plot developments, lest they have to admit that what they're watching isn't masterful at all, but a forgery. Scorsese this is not. His movie is in the theater two doors down.

I think this matter of projection and boxing in, to detriment, is an apt commentary on the audience's and critics' relationship with the film more so than within the film itself. There is a lot of projection going on w/r/t implied depth and layered duplicity in character's actions and lines than what actually exists. Whether this was intentional, I'm not sure, but it would certainly make me feel better about about my misgivings on the plot, some perplexing character behavior, and generally a film which stretches the limits of credulity.

And maybe this was just my experience, but I think at some level people understand that this film is deeply flawed, and wool is being pulled over their eyes. In the past I've gone to the theater to see other films - that earned far less than the unanimous praise being heaped by critics on this one - solicit pretty vigorous applause, where the audience will turn to each other and say "wow, that was great". This was not one of those occasions. Packed theater on Christmas day, and it only roused a polite smattering of applause, with a much more muted ad resigned mood. Resigned to accept that we had just seen a work of art drenched in accolades, and that if our visceral reaction to it was of disappointed befuddlement, well, surely the critics know better than we do. And maybe getting people to buy into that is the only one of David O Russell's cons that actually felt unexpected. Therein lies the true American Hustle - that a giant mess of a movie with all the right names attached to it, opening on the right day, with a flashy trailer and a leaked video of Jennifer Lawrence making out with Amy Adams, can snowball its echo-chamber of praise into a nice box office and awards season take before anyone takes notice of what's really going on beneath the surface.

I should've just gone to see Saving Mr. Banks.
Yeah, this post really clicks with how I ended up feeling about the movie. I was fairly disappointed and very surprised at how well the trailer had conned me into thinking this would be some great substantial movie. It was okay, decent. I missed the whole "dark comedy" aspect, it was clear and effective with Wolf of Wall Street but if there were scenes intended as comedy here they didn't really work for me. And while the loose muddled plot is excused by saying it allows the actors to go full blast with their performances I wasn't really that impressed by anyone other than Bale and Lawrence (also maybe Renner doing a pretty solid transformation into a Joe Pesci sort of character), and even then it wasn't enough to justify things for me.
Honestly I didn't even like Louis CK in his role because it sort of took me out of things in the moment. I could handle the cast chewing the scenery in 70s garb but then all of a sudden it's like "Hey, there's Louis CK within this setting being Louis CK. Okay..."
If I left the film with any real positives it was my being impressed with Jennifer Lawrence. I hadn't really seen her in many films (well, Winter's Bone and First Class, I guess), just sorta knew her vaguely as the Hunger Games chick (and I haven't seen any of those movies). I think she did a great job with Rosalyn and despite some scenes where it maybe didn't work as well for me (Live and Let Die) for the most part I was very impressed.

Punkin Spunkin fucked around with this message at 11:47 on Jan 17, 2014

echoplex
Mar 5, 2008

Stainless Style

Surlaw posted:

Renner definitely deserves it over Cooper.

How would you describe the rest of the tone of the film? It was sad that the most well intentioned person in the film is the one who gets the worst end, but that felt totally appropriate to me in a film centered around a group of people joyfully ruining lives.

To me it feels like the film moves towards an "alls well that ends well" ending, and overall I'd have said the tone was lighter than it was darker purely for the comedy side of things. To me it doesn't really fit - it skews bleak in a way that is divorced from the rest of the film perhaps?

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013

Slackerish posted:

Jeremy Renner's character was pretty forgettable and while his performance was good it didn't match up to the "wacky very unsubtle satire"-esque poo poo that all the other actors are getting recognition for.

Does that say something good or bad about the other actors though? In some ways, I think the main cast was hamming it up a bit, and Renner was playing his role with a lot of sincerity. Just the scene where he finds out that he was betrayed - that wasn't overacting, he did an excellent job there. I would have preferred him nominated over Cooper.

TheFallenEvincar posted:

If I left the film with any real positives it was my being impressed with Jennifer Lawrence. I hadn't really seen her in many films (well, Winter's Bone and First Class, I guess), just sorta knew her vaguely as the Hunger Games chick (and I haven't seen any of those movies). I think she did a great job with Rosalyn and despite some scenes where it maybe didn't work as well for me (Live and Let Die) for the most part I was very impressed.

She's legitimately a good actress, and a good reason why the Hunger Games movies are good. (Also Jeffrey Wright was in the last movie and I was :buddy: when I saw him.)

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006

echoplex posted:

To me it feels like the film moves towards an "alls well that ends well" ending, and overall I'd have said the tone was lighter than it was darker purely for the comedy side of things. To me it doesn't really fit - it skews bleak in a way that is divorced from the rest of the film perhaps?
The movie ends with Richie ultimately being right. The world isn't run by Irvings, but it is run by worse people. That's the point of Irving's last interaction with Richie. The real crooks, the ones who really run things were not only not caught, but they never were even close to being caught.

Carmine and Irving are crooks out of necessity. They understand the world is corrupt, and they compromise themselves accordingly for the greater good (New Jersey; Irving's family). Richie on the other hand sees himself as a hero, clearly fighting for good. His assumptions about himself and who the FBI are allow him and other agents to just become a rival street gang. The attempted rape and the assault show that Richie is just a mentally broken and sad man looking to validate himself through whatever means. He just chose a badge instead of life of crime.

In the end, I don't think we really get a happy ending. Carmine's in jail with a ruined career. Irving's son is probably worse off than when the movie started as he splits his time with the Tellegio crime family. Sure Richie got his comeuppance, but his boss is still in charge. The movie ends with the notion that it's a lovely world defined by crime where nobody comes out uncompromised. I don't think it's a happy movie is what I'm saying.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

I didn't like this movie. I'm genuinely confused as to why critics all falling all over it; The Wolf of Wallstreet wasn't great, but it was better than this.

That said, the Science Oven scenes were pretty good.

Hey don't put metal in there!

GoodluckJonathan
Oct 31, 2003

For me, the funniest part of the whole movie is near the end when Jennifer Lawrence says "hey honey I don't want you to be mad or anything but I really think you should open up your mind to maybe getting um, well, a divorce..." and Bale is just "uhh... yeah, yeah... ok" with a completely straight face I busted out laughing so hard it was the perfect way to end that scene and relieve the tension from that plotline.

Seedge
Jun 15, 2009
Hey, buddy. :glomp:

This strongly reminded me off the BBC TV series Hustle, and I thought it was great. It was clear how it was going to end, but getting there was fun.

bam thwok
Sep 20, 2005
I sure hope I don't get banned

Seedge posted:

This strongly reminded me off the BBC TV series Hustle, and I thought it was great. It was clear how it was going to end, but getting there was fun.

This movie wasn't half as a clever as a even a bad episode of that show. The show was also firmly tongue-in-cheek with lots of winking and nodding to the audience. More of a "We're having a rollicking farce of a time" versus "WE ARE SERIOUS ACTORS WATCH AS WE GAIN WEIGHT AND CRY AREN'T WE SOOOO OVER THE TOP?".

Binary Logic
Dec 28, 2000

Fun Shoe
I found it enjoyable and entertaining, if a bit long and convoluted. Still not sure if Cooper's acting was irritating or he was playing an irritating character. Probably a bit of both.

uublog posted:

Also, I thought the cinematography when they're walking into "Studio 54" was really cool, with the lights flashing, and it seemed like Cooper was gliding across the floor, and then like ten seconds into it I wondered if I was having a seizure and I was like, "hmm, maybe this is a bit too much."
If anything, the lighting was subdued compared to discos of that era. Last weekend I watched Rush, which is also set in 1976 and didn't use enough music from then. After that movie I youtubed a whole bunch of 1976 songs, it was such a great time for music.
AH had more and made much better use in the soundtrack.

Binary Logic fucked around with this message at 23:50 on Jan 19, 2014

Jack's Flow
Jun 6, 2003

Life, friends, is boring
Finally saw this movie. And boy, is it pretty or what? And the music was amazing, gotta love the 70s. On top of that, all of the actors did a good job, but especially Renner and Lawrence. Yet I didn't care about anything that happened. At all. It was like watching a beautifully animated landscape of the late 70s. There was stuff going on, but: who cares? Those lights, man, look at all the lights!

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG

Jack's Flow posted:

Finally saw this movie. And boy, is it pretty or what? And the music was amazing, gotta love the 70s. On top of that, all of the actors did a good job, but especially Renner and Lawrence. Yet I didn't care about anything that happened. At all. It was like watching a beautifully animated landscape of the late 70s. There was stuff going on, but: who cares? Those lights, man, look at all the lights!

Yeah, that was kinda my impression. I didn't really care about the film as a whole, but the acting was great and the imagery was good.

StoneOfShame
Jul 28, 2013

This is the best kitchen ever.
I quite liked this, I didn't think it was amazing but I enjoyed it nonetheless. To a certain extent I think it was a lot better made than it actually was, what I mean is the acting was fantastic, Amy Adams especially, the cinematography, the production design and the costumes were all fantastic, but the film itself was less than the sum of its parts. I do think it got better in the second half when it seemed to embrace being a comedy more than it was towards the start and science oven :science: totally owned.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

Tagichatn posted:

He just said a generic reply for concluding a business deal, I didn't get the impression that he understood what de Niro said.

I agree and this part was probably both the best moment of the film - the reveal that De Niro spoke Arabic, although it had to be coming with the constant "so he doesn't speak arabic/he's from mexico/he doesn't speak arabic/he's from mexico" stuff - I was cringing and wondering what would happen. And then suddenly it was forgotten and somehow the stock stuff that he could say was enough.
Hell if nothing else surely Bradley Cooper should have been able to speak it, since he's the translator, at least in theory?

I did enjoy the film an awful lot but that moment in an otherwise mostly "real" feeling thing totally threw me.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007
This movie felt like David O. Russell tried REALLY hard to make a Scorsese movie. The music, the cinematography, the subject matter, etc. Great performances all around, but the movie was kind of all over the place for me. It just felt sloppy plot-wise. Just a very poor job of actually telling the story. And all the characters come off as scumbags and you don't really want to cheer for any of them.

Was anyone else waiting for Louis CK to say "You can't go in there. Your father is dead."?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

I saw this on a plane. This is totally a plane movie. The acting was great enough for me to look past the contrived plot. As somebody mentioned, I really like how much attention Cooper and Bale pay to their hair. It's the most visual metaphor for how insecure both men are and how they feel the need to reinvent themselves.

• Locked thread