Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
YNAB is $99 if you pay for a year up front, a little less than half of that $15/mo price. I believe new accounts get a 1 month trial and if you sign up with a referral code then you get an extra month for a total of 2 (and I think the other person gets a free month as well).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar
That makes it a bit easier to swallow, at least. I guess I just need a referral code, then :v:

Referee
Aug 25, 2004

"Winning is great, sure, but if you are really going to do something in life, the secret is learning how to lose. Nobody goes undefeated all the time. If you can pick up after a crushing defeat, and go on to win again, you are going to be a champion someday."
(Wilma Rudolph)

Or (especially if you’d previously downloaded the apps) you could just keep using YNAB4, like I do. :)

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

i've seen so much, i'm going blind
and i'm brain dead virtually

College Slice
YNAB4 users get a 10% discount too.

https://app.youneedabudget.com/upgrade

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
If you know a bit of IT poo poo, look into Actual Budget. It's like YNAB4, but self-hosted.

Incremus
Aug 7, 2003

Oh no, I'm so sorry, it's the Moops.

I have been using Actual Budget for the last few months and it was pretty easy to self-host. It sounds very similar to YNAB from what I have read here and there, and it’s been easy and super fast to use. If you have any interest in that kind of thing do check it out - I have very limited linux skills but even I managed it.. They have a good and reasonably active discord for supporting it also.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!

Zamujasa posted:

That makes it a bit easier to swallow, at least. I guess I just need a referral code, then :v:

Someone else can give you one I'm sure. I would but I'm not sure if my name will be attached to it and I'd rather not. Alternatively if no goons are posting there's a stickied thread in r/ynab with referrals.

Leon Sumbitches
Mar 27, 2010

Dr. Leon Adoso Sumbitches (prounounced soom-'beh-cheh) (born January 21, 1935) is heir to the legendary Adoso family oil fortune.

Y'all inspired me to try to use ynab4 again, I could save 180 a year!!

Oh, it's hard to import my nYNAB data without using a Python script? Hmmm maybe not.

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer
gently caress you Amex for randomly and retroactively changing the post date of like 3 months worth of transactions.

It's my fault for blindly importing and approving but gently caress me reconciling this is a pain in the rear end.

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

“We don’t really know where this goes — and I’m not sure we really care.”
Just started using YNAB but it does something that I find incredibly annoying. I pay for a Washington post subscription once a year in June. But YNAB wants to allocate 33% of it this month and presumably in May and June as well. How do I stop it from doing this?

I just want the single lump sum to show up in June and not any other time. I can't just pay off a third of my subscription at a time.

Wiggy Marie
Jan 16, 2006

Meep!
If you set up a goal by a certain month, it will split that goal monthly until the due month. Personally this is a major reason I still use YNAB, but you can delete the goal and enter it for June if you want. You can also snooze the goal for April and then May.

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013
HI I LIKE TO GIVE ADVICE ON RELATIONSHIPS

Mustang posted:

Just started using YNAB but it does something that I find incredibly annoying. I pay for a Washington post subscription once a year in June. But YNAB wants to allocate 33% of it this month and presumably in May and June as well. How do I stop it from doing this?

I just want the single lump sum to show up in June and not any other time. I can't just pay off a third of my subscription at a time.

Wait till you figure out the trick of taking the price of the subscription, dividing it by 12, and allocating that much towards the 'Washington Post Subscription' budget category, which then gets paid out once a year.

I have budget entries for like a buck fifty a month for things that will be a hundred bucks every five years.

This means that a) when the time comes, it's covered, b) I'm building up an ersatz emergency fund, and c) I know all of my subscriptions and ongoing costs.

This also works with ballpark outlays. Figure you need to replace your tires every five years, say, and that a set of tires will be two grand.

So you budget 34 bucks a month to 'new tires.'

That just builds up and up until it's time to get new tires, and you also have that money there in case of emergency in the meantime. To my mind, at least, 34 bucks a month is probably easier to make happen than two grand lump. And if you just blow out one tire, hey, you've already got the bucks to spend on it.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

Mustang posted:

YNAB is very opinionated on How Things Should (Must) Be Done. Expenses that occur once a year should be budgeted for ahead of time so that you have that money available when it's time to pay the bill. So either you remove the target date, or you set aside 1/3 (and then later 1/12 after you've paid this years dues) every month until it's bill time or you snooze the target every month and it'll remind you every time you look at your budget that you're off track, or you fully fund it today and stop worrying I guess.

Mad Wack
Mar 27, 2008

"The faster you use your cooldowns, the faster you can use them again"

Mustang posted:

There is an easy way to do this - if you only want to be reminded to allocate the money that specific future month, set it as an upcoming transaction for the date you'll pay it. Once you reach that month from a bugeting perspective YNAB will prompt you to budget for your upcoming transaction. You can set the upcoming transaction to reoccur too - this is how I handle extremely infrequent small expenses (e.g. the domain renewal I have coming up in 5 years)

It won't help you build up savings towards that target - for that you would need to set a goal and it'll do that thing you find annoying.

Mad Wack
Mar 27, 2008

"The faster you use your cooldowns, the faster you can use them again"
For me, I do both - I have goals for expenses I need to save for and also all my known future expenses in as upcoming future transactions, it does a good job of not duplicating across the two.

dreesemonkey
May 14, 2008
Pillbug

TheCenturion posted:

Wait till you figure out the trick of taking the price of the subscription, dividing it by 12, and allocating that much towards the 'Washington Post Subscription' budget category, which then gets paid out once a year.

I have budget entries for like a buck fifty a month for things that will be a hundred bucks every five years.

This means that a) when the time comes, it's covered, b) I'm building up an ersatz emergency fund, and c) I know all of my subscriptions and ongoing costs.

This also works with ballpark outlays. Figure you need to replace your tires every five years, say, and that a set of tires will be two grand.

So you budget 34 bucks a month to 'new tires.'

That just builds up and up until it's time to get new tires, and you also have that money there in case of emergency in the meantime. To my mind, at least, 34 bucks a month is probably easier to make happen than two grand lump. And if you just blow out one tire, hey, you've already got the bucks to spend on it.

Man I thought I had a lot of budget categories, but I definitely do not have a "New Tires" category. I am somehow impressed and horrified at the same time.

Just checked. We have 93 active budget categories this month.

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

Jesus that's so many

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013
Hmmm.

I have like 50 categories. Maybe forty or so actually used on a regular basis.

Anything I know I'm going to pay out on anything like a regular basis gets a category. But I also tend to lump things together; like, I have a 'Household Expenses' category that covers everything from groceries to toilet paper to home decorating.

I know I need glasses every few years, so I toss some money every month into that.

Any big expense I run across, if it's going to happen again, I make a budget category for it, and figure out how to fit it in. If I can't fit it in, well, I need to do some reevaluating.

Now that I think about it, it's probably time to reevaluate some of my categories.

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

College Slice
I have 38 categories.

I think categories shouldn't be so granular you might as well tie them to a provider/vendor/etc or so broad you can't tell if you're overspending. I call this "goldilocks budgeting".

It can take time to figure out how granular to go, and it will definitely depend on the person. Some people might need to break down "groceries" into sub-categories to figure out why their grocery spend is higher than expected. A car enthusiast may want to break down essential car maintenance vs "fun" spending.

I have a single category for "Streaming Services" because I frequently subscribe/unsubscribe from services depending on what I want to watch in a given month. Having a category for AppleTV+ vs Prime vs Youtube Premium would just be unusable noise. If I want to see a breakdown by vendor I can filter for this easily enough; I don't need it to be a category to do that.

This also applies to savings and emergency funds. Thus I have "Emergency Savings" and "Vacation Savings" but not a "job loss fund" or "furnace dead fund" or "dog got sick fund". When I spend from this category, I make sure to put a "sub-category" in the memo field eg I used my fund for moving expenses this year so I put "moving" in that field for the 10 or so transactions I incurred for moving costs. For some types of emergencies I "save" by having insurance; that's as granular as I feel I need to get.

However, the exception for me is if I get value out of budgeting something separately, I do it anyway. I only have one transaction per month under "Car Insurance" but I do want to see my spending on this specific category over time in a top level report so I do track it separately.

All that said, if ynab would let me nest three deep and assign budget amounts at different levels I might do things more granularly. But they don't, so this is where I landed.

I also keep top level categories to a minimum so I can budget and see historical Essentials vs Optional expenses at a glance. I always fund our Essentials and Business expenses before Lifestyle. Because our income is inconsistent (biweekly pay + freelancing income + royalties) savings is funded in larger lump sums so I just do that when I can.

Edit:

TheCenturion posted:

I know I need glasses every few years, so I toss some money every month into that.

Here is an example where I just lump it into a "Medical (Deductible)" category and then keep it funded. This will vary by the person; for me, I spend on a lot of things under medical :corsair: so I prefer to just budget at a broader level. Another reason I do this is because I have a health care spending account through work so one year I may not need to go out of pocket, another year I may - so I just target an amount and refill when I spend.

(This isn't being critical of TheCenturion or anyone that wants to break things down because ultimately, it depends on what works for you)

Cold on a Cob fucked around with this message at 14:46 on Apr 18, 2024

DoubleT2172
Sep 24, 2007

dreesemonkey posted:

Man I thought I had a lot of budget categories, but I definitely do not have a "New Tires" category. I am somehow impressed and horrified at the same time.

Just checked. We have 93 active budget categories this month.

I'd love to have some examples of things you're making a single budget line. I run 38 and feel like it's a decent amount, thought I just have categories for Auto, Home, Medical, Pets that covers "unexpected" costs like vet bills or an oil change. I did set a separate car tire budget though since the tires for my car are ~$1350 and I wanted to spread that cost out over years

Leon Sumbitches
Mar 27, 2010

Dr. Leon Adoso Sumbitches (prounounced soom-'beh-cheh) (born January 21, 1935) is heir to the legendary Adoso family oil fortune.

My favorite feeling is when I get to hide a category. For example, I had several legal expenses last winter and this spring. Now that those are finished, bye bye legal bills category!

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

College Slice

Leon Sumbitches posted:

My favorite feeling is when I get to hide a category. For example, I had several legal expenses last winter and this spring. Now that those are finished, bye bye legal bills category!

+1, although I do wish it didn't permanently introduce a big button on your UI to show them again when you use the feature. I'm sure they did it because hiding it in the settings somewhere would just lead to a bunch of support requests and confusion but it's one of my nit-picks.

Edit: probably worth mentioning that if you don't care about historical reporting and won't reuse the category, ynab makes it easy to delete a category. It will prompt you to reassign all transactions and assigned amounts from the deleted category to an existing one. I do this sometimes with a temporary expense and just lump it back into my "Emergency Fund" or "Household expenses" when I'm done so I don't have the "hidden categories" thing on my reports or UI. For many this is the OPPOSITE of what they want though, ymmv, etc.

Cold on a Cob fucked around with this message at 15:15 on Apr 18, 2024

itsdereksmifz
Apr 30, 2019

Leon Sumbitches posted:

I've started spinning up and hiding categories for any type of stuff I want to track. Just went out of state for a wedding, and was able to assign any money spent to that category for a full spending report on my trip. When its all over? hide the category!

Omne
Jul 12, 2003

Orangedude Forever

drat I thought I had a lot (45, 39 regularly used) of categories

dreesemonkey
May 14, 2008
Pillbug

DoubleT2172 posted:

I'd love to have some examples of things you're making a single budget line. I run 38 and feel like it's a decent amount, thought I just have categories for Auto, Home, Medical, Pets that covers "unexpected" costs like vet bills or an oil change. I did set a separate car tire budget though since the tires for my car are ~$1350 and I wanted to spread that cost out over years

I will admit ours is a bit overkill. It's partially due to my wife's, ahem, struggle with spending to a bank balance vs. spending to the budget. Things that she wants I will remind her to add as categories so we don't spend "need money" for wants. It's a constant battle, haha. It helps to keep goals in mind / separate wants vs. needs and keep track of these long-term. There are also several categories we could probably get rid of as they're dormant/no longer applicable/not as important.

I removed some from the list due to hyper-specific things that aren't that interesting and changed the names of some categories to protect the innocent. We've got a lot of "Monthly bills", whether or not they are actually monthly. It's a good reminder of what we have active/continue to pay for as we need to budget each month.

Giving: Charitable
Monthly Bills: Home Improvements (Used to by mortgage, but now we're debt free baby)
Monthly Bills: Car payment (Saving ahead, cars are paid for)
Monthly Bills: Home Taxes
Monthly Bills: Home Insurance
Monthly Bills: Phone
Monthly Bills: Internet
Monthly Bills: Electricity
Monthly Bills: Daycare (I think this can be removed - Kid's too old/summer program availibility is pretty bad)
Monthly Bills: Cleaning
Monthly Bills: 529 plans
Monthly Bills: Car Insurance
Monthly Bills: Life Insurance
Monthly Bills: ATV/Motorcycle Insurance
Monthly Bills: Garbage
Monthly Bills: Recycling
Monthly Bills: Netflix
Monthly Bills: Amazon Prime
Monthly Bills: Sam's Club
Monthly Bills: Personal Article Insurance
Monthly Bills: Plex
Monthly Bills: Youtube Premium
Monthly Bills: Financier
Monthly Bills: Amazon Freetime
Monthly Bills: Playstation Plus
Monthly Bills: Weight Watchers
Monthly Bills: Disney+
Monthly Bills: Peloton
Monthly Bills: Peacock
Monthly Bills: Juice+
Monthly Bills: TWIT
Monthly Bills: Apple TV+
Monthly Bills: Classroom Donation
Monthly Bills: Spotify
Monthly Bills: Youtube TV
Monthly Bills: Kid Subscription Boxes (Should be removed)
Monthly Bills: Thrive
Monthly Bills: iCloud
Monthly Bills: Apple TV
Everyday Expenses: Groceries
Everyday Expenses: Restaurants
Everyday Expenses: Fuel
Everyday Expenses: Household Goods
Everyday Expenses: Personal
Everyday Expenses: Wife Personal
Everyday Expenses: Wife Hair
Everyday Expenses: Entertainment
Everyday Expenses: Entertaining
Everyday Expenses: Kids Needs
Everyday Expenses: Clothing
Everyday Expenses: Kids Entertainment
Everyday Expenses: Me Spending
Everyday Expenses: Wife Spending
Everyday Expenses: Son Spending
Everyday Expenses: Daugther Spending
Everyday Expenses: Fun with friends
Everyday Expenses: Wife staff expenses
Everyday Expenses: Pet
Everyday Expenses: Misc
Everyday Expenses: Son Sports
Everyday Expenses: Daughter Sports
Everyday Expenses: Magazines
Everyday Expenses: Kids Pictures
Everyday Expenses: Walking Around Money (Pretty much little league baseball concession stand fund at this point in the year)
Rainy Day Funds: Emergency Fund
Rainy Day Funds: Medical
Rainy Day Funds: Fitness
Rainy Day Funds: Car Maintenance
Rainy Day Funds: Birthdays
Rainy Day Funds: Christmas
Rainy Day Funds: Gifts
Rainy Day Funds: Taxes
Rainy Day Funds: Golf
Rainy Day Funds: Weddings
Rainy Day Funds: Kids Camp
Savings Goals: Big Scary (Pretty much a catch-all for "extra money, dump here for big scary goals")
Savings Goals: Vacation
Savings Goals: Wife Phone (phone replacement, not service)
Savings Goals: Son Phone
Savings Goals: Nephews spending
Savings Goals: Trip goal
Savings Goals: Personal beauty thing
Savings Goals: Another trip
Savings Goals: Another trip
House Desuckification: Pool costs

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013

Cold on a Cob posted:

Here is an example where I just lump it into a "Medical (Deductible)" category and then keep it funded. This will vary by the person; for me, I spend on a lot of things under medical :corsair: so I prefer to just budget at a broader level. Another reason I do this is because I have a health care spending account through work so one year I may not need to go out of pocket, another year I may - so I just target an amount and refill when I spend.

(This isn't being critical of TheCenturion or anyone that wants to break things down because ultimately, it depends on what works for you)

Not at all, and this is where things get individualized. Like, I don't really need a general 'medical' fund, because between public healthcare, my benefits, and my partner's benefits, I'm pretty largely covered. But if I happen to have a regular medication, say, that's only partially covered, I'd put that into it's own budget category.

poo poo, I have categories that get funded like a buck fifty a month because every five years, I have to pay 90 bucks for, say, a renewal.

Like I said, it's probably time for me to go through and consolidate some categories, and break out some other ones, to be honest.

But I'm also getting married in six months, and things will change then. We currently maintain separate finances, but joint contributions to household bills and expenses; she's expressed an interest in fully combining, after seeing my pull out YNAB and easily answer questions about average spending, not having to scrabble for things like 'the annual vet bill, plus shots, plus a year supply of flea/tick preventative.' So that might get all figured out, and that will be an interesting exercise that is beyond the scope here.

ETA:

Seeing as how we're sharing 'sanitized' category lists:

Mortgage
Water/Sewer
Gas
Hydro (what y'all Americans call Electric)
Water Tank Rental
Bell
Amazon Prime (1/12 annual sub cost)
Playstation Plus (1/12 annual sub cost)
Nintendo Switch Online (1/12 annual sub cost)
Costco membership (1/12 annual sub cost)
Nespresso Subscription
Home Insurance
Car Insurance
Apple TV
Life Insurance
Bank Fee
Xbox Game Pass
Netflix
Audible

Household Expenses (groceries, household supplies, etc)
Fuel (used to be gasoline, now it's on-the-road EV charging)
Car Repairs/Maintenance fund (expected annual costs plus building up an unforseen costs buffer)
Drivers License Renewal
Hobby Association
Hobby Association
Hobby Association
Doggy Daycare
Doggy Flea/Tick Preventative
Doggy Chow
Gifts Fund
Glasses Fund
Barber
Roomba Replacement Bits
New Tire Fund (could really roll this into the Car Repairs/Maintenance fund)
Monthly Transfer to TFSA Savings Account/Investments
iTunes App Annual Subscriptions
Dining Out Fund
General Spending Money
Wedding Fund
Six Month Emergency Buffer Fund

Then there's a bunch of categories I don't normally use, but more like as-needed. For example, a 'Camera Stuff' fund that, if I decide to buy a new lens, or start saving up for a new lens, I'd charge to this category, then transfer money from Spending Money or whatever, to be able to track what I've spent on my photography hobby.

TheCenturion fucked around with this message at 16:47 on Apr 18, 2024

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

I've got 76 categories, but to be fair, 17 of those are half-budget "hobby" categories
I think I copped the idea from someone in this thread, maybe? But it was for their groceries?

I have a MASTER category under the Hobbies group, every month I budget $500 to it. The other 16 categories have $0 assigned.
I go to Joann and buy $20 of fabric, the transaction either gets assigned to 'crafts' or 'cosplay' depending on what I'm doing, and the category is $20 overbudget
I transfer $20 from MASTER to Crafts, and now there's $480 left in the MASTER

I wish YNAB supported just budgeting at the category level, because I do this for my utilities as well, which is another 6 of my categories

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013

Sockser posted:

I have a MASTER category under the Hobbies group, every month I budget $500 to it. The other 16 categories have $0 assigned.
I go to Joann and buy $20 of fabric, the transaction either gets assigned to 'crafts' or 'cosplay' depending on what I'm doing, and the category is $20 overbudget
I transfer $20 from MASTER to Crafts, and now there's $480 left in the MASTER

I wish YNAB supported just budgeting at the category level, because I do this for my utilities as well, which is another 6 of my categories

Yeah, I'd love to be able to assign 'sub categories' to a 'master category,' so I'm allocating, lets say, 30 bux a month to 'Console Subscriptions' which the subcategories 'Xbox Game Pass,' 'PlayStation Plus' and 'Nintendo Switch Online' can deduct from. Slightly less up front work than assigning ten bucks to each category separately, but also allows for easy reporting.

But I'm still clinging to YNAB 4 with white-knuckled fervor, so what I have is what I get.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

TheCenturion posted:

Yeah, I'd love to be able to assign 'sub categories' to a 'master category,' so I'm allocating, lets say, 30 bux a month to 'Console Subscriptions' which the subcategories 'Xbox Game Pass,' 'PlayStation Plus' and 'Nintendo Switch Online' can deduct from. Slightly less up front work than assigning ten bucks to each category separately, but also allows for easy reporting.

But I'm still clinging to YNAB 4 with white-knuckled fervor, so what I have is what I get.
If anything, you'll rather see this implemented in any of the other remaining protest projects, that sprung out of the creation of nYNAB, than from loving YNAB themselves.

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

Features that YNAB has added in the past three years:

1. Changed the blue to a darker blue
2. Moved the "categorize" "flag" "approve" etc buttons to the bottom
3. Raised the price by like 20%

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

College Slice
They also added custom views. Still waiting for spending reports on mobile though. :allears: any day now

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

I can't be assed to find his reply from way years back on Reddit, where I asked him in one of his AMAs when he still was boss of the company. He said they won't do it.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

Jesus Christ I have like 15 categories and I thought that was too much. I have the basics like "Rent" and "Utilities" and "Groceries". I also have "Pet" and "Medical." All my subscriptions are just "Subscriptions". I have one "Shopping" category that are just random non-grocery related expenses. When I buy household stuff or shampoo I usually buy it when I'm grocery shopping so that all gets counted as "Grocery" too because I can't be assed to enter a split transaction.

When I was much younger I had budget line items for "coffee" and "drinks/alcohol" and stuff like that but I ain't got time for that these days. It's all just "Food" even if it's just drinks at a bar.

e:

quote:

Everyday Expenses: Walking Around Money

If it works for you it works for you but what even is stuff like this? I really don't get it cause in my mind you're either spending it on food, drinks, or entertainment or shopping. Why does pocket change need to be its own category? I feel like having so many categories with so many misc stuff is a waste of time but hey, if it works for you then that's all that matters I guess.

Boris Galerkin fucked around with this message at 21:44 on Apr 18, 2024

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

Boris Galerkin posted:

If it works for you it works for you but what even is stuff like this? I really don't get it cause in my mind you're either spending it on food, drinks, or entertainment or shopping. Why does pocket change need to be its own category? I feel like having so many categories with so many misc stuff is a waste of time but hey, if it works for you then that's all that matters I guess.

I do this for cash withdrawals whenever I hit the ATM (which is rare) since I barely ever use cash, and it is usually so I can pay cash at places like family owned restaurants or when I need to spend a dollar or two on something random that it isn't worth the time to track.

Edit: and it appears I have 36 categories

Leon Sumbitches
Mar 27, 2010

Boris Galerkin posted:

Jesus Christ I have like 15 categories and I thought that was too much. I have the basics like "Rent" and "Utilities" and "Groceries". I also have "Pet" and "Medical." All my subscriptions are just "Subscriptions". I have one "Shopping" category that are just random non-grocery related expenses. When I buy household stuff or shampoo I usually buy it when I'm grocery shopping so that all gets counted as "Grocery" too because I can't be assed to enter a split transaction.

When I was much younger I had budget line items for "coffee" and "drinks/alcohol" and stuff like that but I ain't got time for that these days. It's all just "Food" even if it's just drinks at a bar.

e:

How do you handle cash? I suppose you could monitor each penny of that $100 withdraw and then, after you spend it, split the $100 ATM charge into categories X,Y,Z. I'm personally not that picky at this point in my budgeting career.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

Leon Sumbitches posted:

How do you handle cash? I suppose you could monitor each penny of that $100 withdraw and then, after you spend it, split the $100 ATM charge into categories X,Y,Z. I'm personally not that picky at this point in my budgeting career.

I pull $20 from the atm and deduct it from "shopping" and then I never worry about it again. Or if I'm specifically pulling cash out for a bar or something for some reason I guess I'd deduct it from "food."

E: not saying I'm doing it right and everyone else is doing it wrong of course. I'm just at the point in my life where I bring in more than I spend and I don't really need to know where every single dollar is.

E2: I never really use cash though. I pull out a $20 and exchange it for quarters for the laundry every now and then. For that I just mark it as shopping money because it's less of a hassle than having a category specifically for household stuff.

Boris Galerkin fucked around with this message at 21:57 on Apr 18, 2024

Leon Sumbitches
Mar 27, 2010

Boris Galerkin posted:

I pull $20 from the atm and deduct it from "shopping" and then I never worry about it again. Or if I'm specifically pulling cash out for a bar or something for some reason I guess I'd deduct it from "food."

E: not saying I'm doing it right and everyone else is doing it wrong of course. I'm just at the point in my life where I bring in more than I spend and I don't really need to know where every single dollar is.

E2: I never really use cash though. I pull out a $20 and exchange it for quarters for the laundry every now and then. For that I just mark it as shopping money because it's less of a hassle than having a category specifically for household stuff.

Yea, cash is king and I always have +/- $50 in case I bump into a cash-only situation like a taco truck or unhoused person. BRB, changing my "cash" category into "pocket full of bills/walkin' around money".

rollick
Mar 20, 2009

Cold on a Cob posted:

They also added custom views. Still waiting for spending reports on mobile though. :allears: any day now

Love checking the age of my money every day. Tells me everything I need to know.

itsdereksmifz
Apr 30, 2019

Seeing everyone's categories was one of my favorite parts of the YNAB reddit but its SUPER slow these days.

Here are mine (currently)

Income Sorting
Next Month - Instead of funding a month ahead, i keep a next month category.
CC Cashback/Interest - This includes my HYSA, Tbills and any other random money that comes in

Splurge Funds
Groceries
Dining Out
Entertainment
Misc. - Any fees or random things that don't have a category. If something hits this often, ill make a category.

Savings
Home Down Payment
Travel
Taxes
2 Months Expenses - Again, not a fan of assigning a month or two out. I tried my best funding forward and it just wasn't as impactful to me.

Self
Tattoo
Gym
Supplements
Grooming
Clothes
Medical

Home
Mortgage
Trash
Electric
Internet
Water
Consumables - Soaps, papertowls, TP, etc.
Home Goods - NEW additions to home. New furniture, dishes, decor.

Auto
Car Insurance
Fuel
Maintenance & New Car Fund

Subscriptions
Google
Twitch
iCloud
Spotify
YouTube
NZBGeek
Domain #1
1Password
TickTick
Domain #2
DrunkenSlug
Drogon
Amazon Prime
Opus IPTV
Lumosity
YNAB

Entrepreneurship
Etsy
Crypto
Sports Betting

I use filtered views alot for my day to day review. I have one for monthly bills, non monthly bills, common spending, & living expenses.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dreesemonkey
May 14, 2008
Pillbug

Boris Galerkin posted:

Sirotan posted:

I do this for cash withdrawals whenever I hit the ATM (which is rare) since I barely ever use cash, and it is usually so I can pay cash at places like family owned restaurants or when I need to spend a dollar or two on something random that it isn't worth the time to track.

Edit: and it appears I have 36 categories

This is exactly what we use it for. Having cash on hand for random stuff. As mentioned, right now it's primarily concession stand food as it's child sportball season. This morning it came in handy when my daughter's school had a coffee truck outside. The other week we went to a school art show and bought some fundraising items.

It's not necessarily in the budget so we don't run out of money, it's more of a reminder of our plans for said money and convenience to have cash on hand. As my categories show, I like to plan ahead. While I joke that I'm cheap, I absolutely do not mind spending money if it was planned for ahead of time.

Walking around money is pretty new to us as a category, but it's been quite successful. A++++ would categorize again.