Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

I got some new chain wax for my motorcycle and the can has a couple of symbols that weren't on the old one.

Uhhhhh. I don't think that oil and wax in a spray can should have those effects, exactly?

From my mid-grade chemistry knowledge, I am pretty sure this is the responsible chemical:

That last bit sure sounds like an organophosphate to me. I can see that it's something to do with the molybdenum disulfide lubricant. But why does it have to be made of not-quite-nerve gas? I am actually kind of uncomfortable using this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
E: ok, here's your link to the EU SDS

https://www.performancelubricantsusa.com/_files/ugd/1eff34_79486e3563d542159a4ec1c09e157b30.pdf

It indicates the oxymolywhatever is listed for skin irritation and sensitization, and the hazard symbols pertain to the heptane and other hydrocarbons. But, if you don't trust it, it's your lungs, man, go ahead and pitch it for some heavy gear oil or something.

Phy has a new favorite as of 06:30 on May 1, 2024

Cranappleberry
Jan 27, 2009

I said nerds, not geeks. Imagine the nuclear catastrophes

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

At night, Bavovnyatko quietly comes to the occupiers’ bases, depots, airfields, oil refineries and other places full of flammable items and starts playing with fire there
... quite.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

same

RocketMermaid
Mar 30, 2004

My pronouns are She/Heir.

Mustached Demon posted:

Someone's never been near an open bottle of glacial acetic acid.

I work with peracetic acid on the regular (it's used as a sanitizer in breweries) and lordy if that poo poo won't clear out your sinuses when you're filling up a jug from the 5-gallon container. It also leaves fun little itchy white spots on your hands if you're dumb enough to not wear gloves.

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

Looking quickly through the insecticides in that list, they vary from "not that bad" to "banned for a reason", but none have the "this insecticide also has a nerve agent code (Amiton/VG)" energy of the phosphorothioates (as opposed to phosphorodithioate).

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

RocketMermaid posted:

I work with peracetic acid on the regular (it's used as a sanitizer in breweries) and lordy if that poo poo won't clear out your sinuses when you're filling up a jug from the 5-gallon container. It also leaves fun little itchy white spots on your hands if you're dumb enough to not wear gloves.

It can’t be used in sprayable form for this reason. Great for CIP and soaks, not suitable for spot application.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X4dt1lRBMrc

Pyrophoric lead nanoparticles

Cranappleberry
Jan 27, 2009
I do wonder what licenses + connections the ChemicalForce guy has because he gets the craziest and definitely not legal for most people poo poo. Like, SCI clearance but for chemistry.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

We don't have a physics ask/tell thread, and this involves water so it's tangentially related to chemistry

Everywhere on the Internet it says "water is virtually incompressible" but nobody really specifies how compressible it is.

All I've been able to find was a single post in an aviation forum (??) staring that it's 0.000053% compressible

This appears to be cribbed from a PDF published by xylemappliedwater says "for water, an increase of 1 atmosphere will decrease volume by about 0.000053%"

I can't find any further detail on the topic. Does it compress at a linear rate? At 100bar does water compress less?

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

Hadlock posted:

We don't have a physics ask/tell thread, and this involves water so it's tangentially related to chemistry

There a general questions thread in SAL:

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3781321

quote:

Everywhere on the Internet it says "water is virtually incompressible" but nobody really specifies how compressible it is.

There's nothing unique about water in this regard. Liquids and solids are pretty incompressible because they're already compressed, they don't have a lot of intromolecular space available to compress them.

Hadlock posted:

I can't find any further detail on the topic. Does it compress at a linear rate? At 100bar does water compress less?

Yes. The more you compress it, the less compressible it gets. And it's non-linear with temperature.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Phanatic posted:

There's nothing unique about water in this regard. Liquids and solids are pretty incompressible because they're already compressed, they don't have a lot of intromolecular space available to compress them..

I mean eventually poo poo goes to gently caress and you get neutronium.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Hadlock posted:

All I've been able to find was a single post in an aviation forum (??) staring that it's 0.000053% compressible

This appears to be cribbed from a PDF published by xylemappliedwater says "for water, an increase of 1 atmosphere will decrease volume by about 0.000053%"

https://van.physics.illinois.edu/ask/listing/2251

quote:

Here’s a table of water volumes at different temperatures and pressures. Yes, water does in fact compress as you raise the pressure (no surprise here), but it doesn’t compress by much.
code:
temp F(C)       0 atm      500 a     1000 a     2000 a     3000 a
      32 (0)    1.0000    0.9769    0.9566     0.9223     0.8954
      68 (20)   1.0016    0.9804    0.9619     0.9312     0.9065
     122 (50)   1.0128    0.9915    0.9732     0.9428     0.9193

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Phanatic posted:

There's nothing unique about water in this regard. Liquids and solids are pretty incompressible because they're already compressed, they don't have a lot of intromolecular space available to compress them.

Water is pretty hard to compress. That said, the bulk modulus of steel is 160 GN/m^2. Water is 2 GN/m^2, so there is a difference

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

So at 30,000 psi it compresses by nearly 10%! While not common in nature, that's still a lot!

Presumably those numbers are for pure water being compressed by a solid

If you take a glass of water that's been sitting out you ought to get a mixture of atmospheric gasses dissolved in there; that's how fish breathe, I think

What happens when you compress water with dissolved gasses? Does it compress more elastically, or does the gas begin to boil out or what

Edit: bookmarked the physics thread, thanks

Hadlock has a new favorite as of 03:44 on May 3, 2024

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Hadlock posted:

So at 30,000 psi it compresses by nearly 10%! While not common in nature, that's still a lot!

Presumably those numbers are for pure water being compressed by a solid

If you take a glass of water that's been sitting out you ought to get a mixture of atmospheric gasses dissolved in there; that's how fish breathe, I think

What happens when you compress water with dissolved gasses? Does it compress more elastically, or does the gas begin to boil out or what

A mile of sea water exerts a pressure of about 150 atm, so you're not even to the second column of the table yet. Three miles down and it's compressed by about 2%.

Gases are more soluble under pressure. Hence your soda fizzes when you open it, as the dissolved gases are released.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
"What does dissolved gas do to waters compressibility is like an entire graduate physical chemistry thesis waiting to happen or at least a semester on compressibility equations of state and/or modelling.

The perfectly spherical pig in a vacuum response is that compressibility is modeled as intermolecular and intramolecular springs and atmospheric species in the liquid state are going to be small enough in amount if not near enough to the springiness of a water that you can ignore it unless you're doing something really exact.