Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

FAUXTON posted:

Because Netflix isn't tiering their streaming service now, nor are they offering content packages. Claiming their current offering is a "bundle" is being intentionally obtuse.

No it ain't. It is in fact a bundled service, not a la carte in the least.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

I've got my father's great big six-shooter with me 'n' if anybody in this woods wants to start somethin' just let 'em--but they DASSN'T.

Nintendo Kid posted:

No it ain't. It is in fact a bundled service, not a la carte in the least.

The problem with that view is that Netflix currently views its VOD streaming service as a single network, like a post-linear HBO. The company says that (and in pretty unambiguous terms) in its long-term view note. If that's the definition that prevails, the only unbundling to be done would involve content partners going into business for themselves, like Shout! Factory did a few months ago.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

skaboomizzy posted:

If you want ESPN, you're paying for everything under the ESPN/ABC/Disney corporate umbrella and that's quite a bit.

It'll be the same thing with "Discovery Networks". Just look at all that programming. Enjoy whatever TLC sinks to next after Honey Boo Boo.

And this is why ESPN signing exclusivity on a lot of that stuff is such an insane thing. Suddenly if all you want to watch is hockey they can force you to pay for a bajillion other channels you'll never even turn on. Why should I be paying for Hannah Montana if the only thing I really want is the Penguins games?

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

ToxicSlurpee posted:

And this is why ESPN signing exclusivity on a lot of that stuff is such an insane thing. Suddenly if all you want to watch is hockey they can force you to pay for a bajillion other channels you'll never even turn on. Why should I be paying for Hannah Montana if the only thing I really want is the Penguins games?

Because it subsidizes their other channels.

Again, the problem with the traditional channel format is that there's not enough content to reasonably appeal to enough people to remain solvent, with rare exceptions (sports).

Pervis
Jan 12, 2001

YOSPOS

computer parts posted:

Because it subsidizes their other channels.

Again, the problem with the traditional channel format is that there's not enough content to reasonably appeal to enough people to remain solvent, with rare exceptions (sports).

This will only get worse over time, right? TV viewership, especially among demographics that advertisers want to reach, has been dropping pretty steadily. There's also some expectation to maintain or even grow profits in the face of this, and thus the shift to much higher profit-margin formats like reality TV.

Anyways, I imagine the intent of TV-related stuff is to open the internet up as a distribution channel in a way that doesn't directly involve telcos/cable companies outside of the actual last-mile connections themselves. It's been a long time though since I've been involved in that world to really understand what this might do though.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Pervis posted:

This will only get worse over time, right? TV viewership, especially among demographics that advertisers want to reach, has been dropping pretty steadily. There's also some expectation to maintain or even grow profits in the face of this, and thus the shift to much higher profit-margin formats like reality TV.

Anyways, I imagine the intent of TV-related stuff is to open the internet up as a distribution channel in a way that doesn't directly involve telcos/cable companies outside of the actual last-mile connections themselves. It's been a long time though since I've been involved in that world to really understand what this might do though.

It could be mitigated somewhat if they consolidate some channels. You don't have 3 different Discovery Channels worth of material, but if you combined them all you might have a pretty popular channel, and then you don't need to rely on reality stuff.

This is especially true if/when advertisers don't treat DVRs as the devil so you can have stuff "air" whenever and people can just watch it later.

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

computer parts posted:

It could be mitigated somewhat if they consolidate some channels. You don't have 3 different Discovery Channels worth of material, but if you combined them all you might have a pretty popular channel, and then you don't need to rely on reality stuff.

This is especially true if/when advertisers don't treat DVRs as the devil so you can have stuff "air" whenever and people can just watch it later.

But then instead of having 72 hours a day of advertising slots to sell, they only have 24, and we can't have that!

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

hailthefish posted:

But then instead of having 72 hours a day of advertising slots to sell, they only have 24, and we can't have that!

The point is that advertising is getting cheaper and cheaper because no one watches [random channel x].

TV companies don't really care about volume of ads, just revenue.

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

And my point is TV channels, like most businesses, blindly pursue what looks like a bigger immediate profit, even if the end result is less money.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

hailthefish posted:

And my point is TV channels, like most businesses, blindly pursue what looks like a bigger immediate profit, even if the end result is less money.

They don't though. Right now you can only run one program at one time on one channel in a meaningful way. Hence, multiple channels.

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

I've got my father's great big six-shooter with me 'n' if anybody in this woods wants to start somethin' just let 'em--but they DASSN'T.
Good morning, ISPs. Here are your new rules.

Pardon the hit and run, but 400 pages is a little bit much to take in when I'm already running late.

EasyEW fucked around with this message at 15:20 on Mar 12, 2015

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

EasyEW posted:

Pardon the hit and run, but 400 pages is a little bit much to take in when I'm already running late.

An important point I've noticed already: CDNs are (rightfully) not counted as "paid prioritization for network service".

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

computer parts posted:

An important point I've noticed already: CDNs are (rightfully) not counted as "paid prioritization for network service".

I'm actually in disagreement on this one. Despite the large number of connections, most CDNs are shuttling around (minified!) text files. If Netflix isn't/shouldn't be getting preferential treatment (outside of normal QoS), neither should CDNs. Not so much because I have any particular problem with them, but because it's unnecessary IMO, and you need to keep the playing field as level as possible to close loopholes.

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

Treating use of a CDN as paid prioritization would be a stupid rule.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Chokes McGee posted:

I'm actually in disagreement on this one. Despite the large number of connections, most CDNs are shuttling around (minified!) text files. If Netflix isn't/shouldn't be getting preferential treatment (outside of normal QoS), neither should CDNs. Not so much because I have any particular problem with them, but because it's unnecessary IMO, and you need to keep the playing field as level as possible to close loopholes.

The gently caress is this? No, most CDNs handle video and graphics and audio, in terms of actual data pushed. CDNs don't get preferential treatment, anyone can choose to host a service in an ISP's data center for rates that are pretty close to general market.

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an
armor-piercing crowbar! Rigoddamndicu𝜆ous.

I'm seeing people claiming that carriers are defined as conduits (or something like that) which would them immune to copyright lawsuits and somehow protect end users from the kind of suits that the content industry lawyers were using to get the identity of file sharers. Does anyone know if that's just a bunch of internet lawyering or is there some truth to it?

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Nintendo Kid posted:

The gently caress is this? No, most CDNs handle video and graphics and audio, in terms of actual data pushed. CDNs don't get preferential treatment, anyone can choose to host a service in an ISP's data center for rates that are pretty close to general market.

Only CDNs I've ever used are for javascript libraries :shrug:

karthun
Nov 16, 2006

I forgot to post my food for USPOL Thanksgiving but that's okay too!

Chokes McGee posted:

You have never used akamai?

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

karthun posted:

You have never used akamai?

There was CoralCDN too, but it doesn't seem to be working anymore.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Chokes McGee posted:

You've never used Windows (Windows update uses CDNs) or YouTube or Netflix or Facebook or major news sites or many major image-hosting sites or Steam or other games with online patches from a major publisher? I find that hard to believe.

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

Munkeymon posted:

I'm seeing people claiming that carriers are defined as conduits (or something like that) which would them immune to copyright lawsuits and somehow protect end users from the kind of suits that the content industry lawyers were using to get the identity of file sharers. Does anyone know if that's just a bunch of internet lawyering or is there some truth to it?

Internet lawyering on the second part, sort of accurate on the first part.

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an

Kalman posted:

Internet lawyering on the second part, sort of accurate on the first part.

So they're not liable for what their end users do? I guess I can see how that would indirectly help end users of a company that gives zero fucks about its business relationship with content producers. Not Comcast or TW users, though.

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an

Nintendo Kid posted:

You've never used Windows (Windows update uses CDNs) or YouTube or Netflix or Facebook or major news sites or many major image-hosting sites or Steam or other games with online patches from a major publisher? I find that hard to believe.

It's obvious from the context that used means "pasted a CDN URL into a source file while building a website"

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

EasyEW posted:

the rules themselves are pages 283-290 as far as I can tell, and the entirety of the relevant text to net neutrality is as follows:

quote:

§ 8.5 No blocking.

A person engaged in the provision of broadband Internet access service, insofar as such person is so engaged, shall not block lawful content, applications, services, or non-harmful devices, subject to reasonable network management.

§ 8.7 No throttling.

A person engaged in the provision of broadband Internet access service, insofar as such person is so engaged, shall not impair or degrade lawful Internet traffic on the basis of Internet content, application, or service, or use of a non-harmful device, subject to reasonable network management.

§ 8.9 No paid prioritization.

(a) A person engaged in the provision of broadband Internet access service, insofar as such person is so engaged, shall not engage in paid prioritization.

(b) “Paid prioritization” refers to the management of a broadband provider’s network to directly or indirectly favor some traffic over other traffic, including through use of techniques such as traffic shaping, prioritization, resource reservation, or other forms of preferential traffic management, either (a) in exchange for consideration (monetary or otherwise) from a third party, or (b) to benefit an affiliated entity.

(c) The Commission may waive the ban on paid prioritization only if the petitioner demonstrates that the practice would provide some significant public interest benefit and would not harm the open nature of the Internet.

§ 8.11 No unreasonable interference or unreasonable disadvantage standard for Internet conduct.

Any person engaged in the provision of broadband Internet access service, insofar as such person is so engaged, shall not unreasonably interfere with or unreasonably disadvantage (i) end users’ ability to select, access, and use broadband Internet access service or the lawful Internet content, applications, services, or devices of their choice, or (ii) edge providers’ ability to make lawful content, applications, services, or devices available to end users. Reasonable network management shall not be considered a violation of this rule.

WhiskeyJuvenile fucked around with this message at 03:44 on Mar 13, 2015

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Munkeymon posted:

It's obvious from the context that used means "pasted a CDN URL into a source file while building a website"

That is not how using a CDN usually works. The CDN url would usually be generated on the fly by the CDN serving your page's images and such. Many don't even use special urls, they simply redirect the browser to the proper place (the CDN Imgur uses works like that).

If you yourself are claiming you're familiar with writing a website, you should be aware of this.

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

Munkeymon posted:

So they're not liable for what their end users do? I guess I can see how that would indirectly help end users of a company that gives zero fucks about its business relationship with content producers. Not Comcast or TW users, though.

The first part is just a restatement of the DMCA safe harbor and has gently caress all to do with anything this thread is about. E: the immunity isn't absolute, it's conditioned on you behaving and taking down infringing content.

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an

Kalman posted:

The first part is just a restatement of the DMCA safe harbor and has gently caress all to do with anything this thread is about. E: the immunity isn't absolute, it's conditioned on you behaving and taking down infringing content.

I wasn't talking about providing content, though - just acting as a carrier to get anything available on the internet to end users. I assumed DMCA still applied to hosts, but I've seen claims that there are now more protections for carriers, but I think you're saying that's also just the DMCA at work, right?

Nintendo Kid posted:

That is not how using a CDN usually works. The CDN url would usually be generated on the fly by the CDN serving your page's images and such. Many don't even use special urls, they simply redirect the browser to the proper place (the CDN Imgur uses works like that).

If you yourself are claiming you're familiar with writing a website, you should be aware of this.

Yes, I'm aware of how CDNs work but you don't have to have a sophisticated understanding of them to copy+paste something from https://developers.google.com/speed/libraries/devguide and use a CDN for somewhat loose definition of 'use'

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

There's the 111 retransmission exemption, I guess they could be talking about that, but it isn't common carrier specific - ISPs could take advantage of it already.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aeka 2.0
Nov 16, 2000

:ohdear: Have you seen my apex seals? I seem to have lost them.

Dinosaur Gum
I posted the rules on FB from NPR and I was told I place too much faith in
bureaucracy. I thought the rules were quite clear.

• Locked thread