Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Boinks
Nov 24, 2003

I wish the Viper Queen would drop a Dream Claw already. She has so much defense :stonk:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dPB
Aug 2, 2006
Captain Awesome

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

I was using Blazebird +7 armor and some Oni Buster generic gauntlets I made combined with a DCT Mitama so... maybe that's why I was getting oneshot by his giant leap in phase 2? I'm not sure.

Terragrinder is water/earth so your armour choice might be your issue there. Also SPT Mitama is super handy in his second phase because you can charge up while he's farting around underground.

Falcon2001
Oct 10, 2004

Eat your hamburgers, Apollo.
Pillbug
I didn't really have problems except with Pyrobird thing and the weird goro giant thing.

Boinks
Nov 24, 2003

Boy the quest for 5x Hot Breastplate sure sucks.

Belzac
Mar 20, 2008

The third fracture I would do away with...I can't, sorry.

F R A C T U R E
If you don't like killing the same monster 5+ times, you're gonna be in for a surprise.

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

I tried the boxing gloves on terragrinder and it was pretty good. In the few kills I did the hardest part to break was the horn on his face. Back legs actually became super easy. I'm still trying to like chain sickle but failing. I spent an entire pyrobird fight trying to break his horn. Was locked on to the horn and flying all over the place but only broke wings, tail, chest and one foot.

Boinks
Nov 24, 2003

Belzac posted:

If you don't like killing the same monster 5+ times, you're gonna be in for a surprise.

Oh I wish it was just 5 times. I'm up to 10 and haven't seen one yet!

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

I hope more options for weapons open up. I made the blazebird bow for Terragrinder and literally next big Oni it's yet another fire bow "but with more damage" while I haven't had a chance to make any other water bows or anything.

Mr. Locke
Jul 28, 2010

Awesome! posted:

I tried the boxing gloves on terragrinder and it was pretty good. In the few kills I did the hardest part to break was the horn on his face. Back legs actually became super easy. I'm still trying to like chain sickle but failing. I spent an entire pyrobird fight trying to break his horn. Was locked on to the horn and flying all over the place but only broke wings, tail, chest and one foot.

I've been switched over to a sickle main for a while- the trick with Sickle is to use your normal attacks to get the easy breaks and use your Triangle + Circle supermove to break the hard-to-hit areas. With just Novice Destroyer on one Mitama, I usually see 3-4 uses of the supermove per fight, which is more then any other weapon in my experience and is almost always enough to get all the tricky breaks I'm not usually gonna get over the course of a fight (Hell's Warden being the main exception, with all the fancy extra breaks on Phase 2)

If you've having a hard time lining up a good Sickle supermove, remember that you can use it while zipping around in midair with your charge Square.

Belzac
Mar 20, 2008

The third fracture I would do away with...I can't, sorry.

F R A C T U R E

Boinks posted:

Oh I wish it was just 5 times. I'm up to 10 and haven't seen one yet!

It's pretty much a 100% guaranteed drop if you destroy the breastplate breakoff part.

Focacciasaurus_Rex
Dec 13, 2010
This looks awesome, but I don't have a Vita.

I hope they release a PS3 compatible version some day.

Focacciasaurus_Rex fucked around with this message at 18:56 on Mar 5, 2014

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

Mr. Locke posted:

I've been switched over to a sickle main for a while- the trick with Sickle is to use your normal attacks to get the easy breaks and use your Triangle + Circle supermove to break the hard-to-hit areas. With just Novice Destroyer on one Mitama, I usually see 3-4 uses of the supermove per fight, which is more then any other weapon in my experience and is almost always enough to get all the tricky breaks I'm not usually gonna get over the course of a fight (Hell's Warden being the main exception, with all the fancy extra breaks on Phase 2)

If you've having a hard time lining up a good Sickle supermove, remember that you can use it while zipping around in midair with your charge Square.

I am getting better at that but during that pyrobird fight I kept hitting his loving forewings and then I missed the one shot I had when he was flipped out. I'll just keep practicing on him. Maybe go back to the first fight rather than the one in ch. 4 with like 8 or 10 stars. This game is weird because if I don't get all the breaks on a mission I feel like kind of a failure despite winning without dying. In MH I hardly ever break everything on a monster in one fight and don't think anything of it unless I need a tail and didn't get the cut or something.

When on the ground should I be using the full chain+sickle combo or just be doing 3 sickle slashes and rolling? It seems like the swinging chain will often hit multiple parts on the large oni so maybe that evens out the greater damage on the sickle hits?

Mr. Locke
Jul 28, 2010

Awesome! posted:

I am getting better at that but during that pyrobird fight I kept hitting his loving forewings and then I missed the one shot I had when he was flipped out. I'll just keep practicing on him. Maybe go back to the first fight rather than the one in ch. 4 with like 8 or 10 stars. This game is weird because if I don't get all the breaks on a mission I feel like kind of a failure despite winning without dying. In MH I hardly ever break everything on a monster in one fight and don't think anything of it unless I need a tail and didn't get the cut or something.

When on the ground should I be using the full chain+sickle combo or just be doing 3 sickle slashes and rolling? It seems like the swinging chain will often hit multiple parts on the large oni so maybe that evens out the greater damage on the sickle hits?
The 4th ranged sickle swing is fine as long as you remember to lock on. And instead of roll I would probably use the square + cross backstep.

In all honesty, I avoid the close range sickle ground attacks if possible. They are slow and not that strong. If I am out of stamina I'd rather just wait a moment to get it back, and if it is an opponent where air antics are risky, generally so is the slow melee chain- use the longer pokes. They don't seem to hit multiple parts I think (multiple separate enemies but each foe only once) and they're kinda weak but they are safer and, weirdly, faster.

At least, that is my experience using mostly Spirit and Space style mitama. I dunno if Attack or Deception would make the Triangle attacks suddenly useful. i doubt it, but I cannot say for sure.

Boinks
Nov 24, 2003

Belzac posted:

It's pretty much a 100% guaranteed drop if you destroy the breastplate breakoff part.

It's strange. I swear I broke the breastplate 9 or 10 times in a row and didn't get a drop. But last night I got 5 of them in a row.

Now to work on getting 2 Drill Teeth.

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

double terragrinder mission is loving awful

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

So what's a suggested load out for the mission The King and I? I like finishing all the chapter missions before moving onto the new chapter and started at him with my trusty bow and SPT mitama, broke literally everything on him and around halfway through the clock checked his HP and... it was barely dented.

Armor-Piercing
Sep 22, 2009

Nightly dance
of bleeding swords

I've skipped that mission and I'm already done pretty much all the missions in chapters six and seven and I still don't think I'm ready to handle any of the solo missions from The King and I onward, for the same reason.

I know equipment goes up to rank 9 but for some reason I haven't seen the option to create/upgrade weapons or armor past rank 6, and even that I've only gotten recently. I think I've fought the second version of most large oni at this point, so I'm not sure what components I wouldn't have seen yet. Do I need something that only drops in the online missions? Or am I stuck hunting for golden souls?

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Armor-Piercing posted:

I've skipped that mission and I'm already done pretty much all the missions in chapters six and seven and I still don't think I'm ready to handle any of the solo missions from The King and I onward, for the same reason.

I know equipment goes up to rank 9 but for some reason I haven't seen the option to create/upgrade weapons or armor past rank 6, and even that I've only gotten recently. I think I've fought the second version of most large oni at this point, so I'm not sure what components I wouldn't have seen yet. Do I need something that only drops in the online missions? Or am I stuck hunting for golden souls?

I'd assume the Mitama weapons are the higher ranked ones. Unless that's horribly wrong?

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
What's the point of the option to reduce your mitama to level one? Are the level up bonuses you get random or something?

Emalde
May 3, 2007

Just a cage of bones, there's nothing inside.

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

What's the point of the option to reduce your mitama to level one? Are the level up bonuses you get random or something?

Not random, but fixed once you decide on the set of bonuses. If you want to utilize a different set of bonuses from the same mitama, you'll have to reset it to 1 and re-level it, picking the different effects on the way back up.

Armor-Piercing
Sep 22, 2009

Nightly dance
of bleeding swords

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

I'd assume the Mitama weapons are the higher ranked ones. Unless that's horribly wrong?
The mitama weapons are rank 9, I'm missing 7-8. I just found a guide on GameFAQs in a Google doc though, and this one has the weapon recipes that were missing from the one I'd looked at previously. Guess tonight I'll have to go hunting for the rest of those components.

Boinks
Nov 24, 2003

Is there a praying guide, or anyone have any tips?

Boinks
Nov 24, 2003

Well I beat Single Player. The final boss was a pushover compared to the two before him.

Now to start MP.

Elec
Feb 25, 2007
Sorry to bump this month-old thread, but has anyone gotten a golden blade to drop from Tokonoyo-o/Cimmerian King? Japanese wikis say it's not at all that rare and it's supposed to drop from purifying his left sword arm, but I've fought 10 of these guys and it's not dropping. I found another post on another site saying that perhaps you may have to let him regenerate his arm first, but I've only ever seen different parts regenerate with like Mizuchime and Goenma. So far this is the only real grinding I've had to do for a drop in this game. Maybe it'll drop from the solo fight? I'm a bit apprehensive to tackle it yet, though.

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I just killed my 1st terragrinder and im still not sure what weapon I like. Spear was awesome since it countered his charges perfectly. Does a charged circle do more than a charged square and its follow up?

How do I get the most damage out of bow? I have been doing the lvl3 curse shot then 1 or 2 fully charged normal shots.
When is quick nock better to use?

Flytrap
Apr 30, 2013
So I decided to try out the demo and it's kinda fun actually. Also I've gotten attached to the longsword which is weird since I usually latch onto the weirder weapons. Something about the longsword just feels right.

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Flytrap posted:

So I decided to try out the demo and it's kinda fun actually. Also I've gotten attached to the longsword which is weird since I usually latch onto the weirder weapons. Something about the longsword just feels right.

definitely try out the other weapons before you start committing resources to upgrades. Longsword is great, but the other weapons are pretty cool too.

Elec
Feb 25, 2007
I downloaded the Kiwami demo when it came out but I got distracted/busy so I only tried it out the other day.

There are four new weapons and two new monsters in the demo. The two monsters are the big fox-like thing, which I haven't actually tried to fight yet, and another bird-like creature similar to the one you fight early in the regular game. (There is also a new fox lady oni, but it's not in the demo.)

The demo only lets you play with the three new weapons plus the long sword. There's a hammer, a naginata, and a rifle.
The hammer is slow and has a mechanic where you do better damage if you are an exact distance away from the monster. This seems somewhat similar to the timing mechanic on the fists weapon, and overall I didn't like this that much.

As a knives user, I was definitely drawn toward the naginata. It's pretty speedy and can still get in the air, better than the spear can. It has a mechanic sort of like the long sword in monster hunter, where the more you attack consistently you get small buffs in a couple of increments.

The rifle is interesting. Each gun carries 3 different types of bullets out of 6. There's regular, pierce, explosive, spread, drain, and another one I'm forgetting. Once you start aiming, you are able to see a "weak point" on the monster, and if you hit that you get a damage boost. Each shot type has two ways of firing it, with the second way being sorta kinda like the siege mode of a heavy bow gun in MH. It felt a little better moving around and aiming at little monsters than the bow I guess, but the reload time is extremely long.

Anyway on top of that there's some sort of "emergency quest" mode, where you just go on a mystery mission and fight whatever shows up (probably much harder oni), with better rewards than usual, as well as a free hunt mode with better rewards and higher chances for mitamas (a godsend). Some new areas, new mitamas, etc.

I actually picked up a 3DS recently and played Monster Hunter tri G for awhile, and going from that to the Toukiden Kiwami demo was night and day. I was kinda iffy on the graphics for some weird reason when this first came out but I am looking forward to some of the new areas as you can see here. http://www.4gamer.net/games/252/G025263/20140620031/

I'll probably still stick with knives exclusively, but the naginata is a tempting second choice.

EDIT: Forgot to mention a new mechanic. There's a blue "unity" gauge that fills up kind of like your weapon gauge, but you can activate it separately? with another character? I never actually got it completely filled up in the hunts I did (always completed the quest with juuuust a sliver left to go), and I couldn't find much info about it, but hey. More stuff.

Elec fucked around with this message at 05:42 on Jun 26, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

5er
Jun 1, 2000

Qapla' to a true warrior! :patriot:

Belzac posted:

I'm about six hours deep in this game, and this should've been the thread's title.

• Locked thread