Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
bhlaab
Feb 21, 2005

Ariong posted:

It's that same crap that they stuck cutter with that made him do what Talbot said.

So if they already have it why do they need to get it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SgtSteel91
Oct 21, 2010

bhlaab posted:

I guess it's more potent than the stuff they have?

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Manatee Cannon posted:

I'm not sure we played the same games.

MG:R is literally the story of the dude who only shows up as a plot device in other MGS games.

That's what cyborg ninjas do all the time, it's just the first time you've ever had the opportunity to follow on in its everyday life.

It is exactly as grounded in reality as any metal gear game.

BottledBodhisvata
Jul 26, 2013

by Lowtax
Hallucinogens, son.

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

Uncharted 4 is gonna turn the formula on its head and have Drake somehow launch the ancient lost city into space.

TheBystander
Apr 28, 2011

Crowetron posted:

Uncharted 4 is gonna turn the formula on its head and have Drake somehow launch the ancient lost city into space.

Drake finds the lost ruins of La-Mulana. The adventure begins here!

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

bhlaab posted:

My theory is that they only had a small amount, and it's either impossible or very time-consuming and resource intensive to synthesize in a lab. So they decide to just try and find the gigantic truck-sized container of the stuff.

Yapping Eevee
Nov 12, 2011

STAND TOGETHER.
FIGHT WITH HONOR.
RESTORE BALANCE.

Eevees play for free.

TheBystander posted:

Drake finds the lost ruins of La-Mulana. The adventure begins here!

I'm sure Drake would somehow manage to accomplish what the seventh children couldn't through sheer dumb luck. :v:

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Crowetron posted:

Drake discovers Optimus Prime and the Autobots on the moon

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Get high and think of me.

FlamingLiberal posted:

Drake discovers Optimus Prime and the Autobots on the moon

Uncharted 4: Drake of the Moon

TurboJ9000
Nov 4, 2012

Whizbang posted:

Naughty Dog still has to make the Uncharted kart racing game.

I knew I had seen this video somewhere.

http://youtu.be/Hxpsqij9HOE

When they posted the track for downloading, they called it "Unkarted".

bhlaab
Feb 21, 2005

chitoryu12 posted:

My theory is that they only had a small amount, and it's either impossible or very time-consuming and resource intensive to synthesize in a lab. So they decide to just try and find the gigantic truck-sized container of the stuff.

I don't know if it's a good sign when you have to theorycraft "what the villain was doing and why" in an indiana jones story.

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Me bad posting? That's unpossible!
Lipstick Apathy

bhlaab posted:

I don't know if it's a good sign when you have to theorycraft "what the villain was doing and why" in an indiana jones story.

The plot is pretty lovely, I don't think that's a controversial opinion.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

notZaar posted:

The plot is pretty lovely, I don't think that's a controversial opinion.

Yeah, I think just about everyone agrees that the plot is basically unfinished.

Then again, that's something that happens with games like this. Uncharted is based around the massive setpiece action sequences, pretty vistas, and fun gameplay. It's like flashy CGI-heavy action and sci-fi movies: a good plot without holes is mostly accidental.

bman in 2288
Apr 21, 2010
...I may be late to the party, but I only now get the thread title.

Djinni. They're genies.

Genies. They do wishes.

Wishes. Wish for Sully.

I'm sorry it took me so long.

Jalathas
Nov 26, 2010

So everyone is talking about the jar having normal, non-supernatural hallucinogens in it. Was it not heavily implied that there could, in fact, be djinn in the jar? Like, we had the whole story about Solomon sealing away the djinn, we find the source of the hallucinogen in the water and it's a jar with a bigass seal of Solomon on it. Sully goes "a genie in a bottle?" and Drake replies "I know, it sounds pretty crazy." Then they move on. I'm pretty sure there's genies in that bottle, or at least theoretical Schrodinger's genies.

bhlaab
Feb 21, 2005

Jalathas posted:

So everyone is talking about the jar having normal, non-supernatural hallucinogens in it. Was it not heavily implied that there could, in fact, be djinn in the jar? Like, we had the whole story about Solomon sealing away the djinn, we find the source of the hallucinogen in the water and it's a jar with a bigass seal of Solomon on it. Sully goes "a genie in a bottle?" and Drake replies "I know, it sounds pretty crazy." Then they move on. I'm pretty sure there's genies in that bottle, or at least theoretical Schrodinger's genies.

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness

OwlFancier posted:

MG:R is literally the story of the dude who only shows up as a plot device in other MGS games.

That's what cyborg ninjas do all the time, it's just the first time you've ever had the opportunity to follow on in its everyday life.

It is exactly as grounded in reality as any metal gear game.

The best part about MG:R is it shows how Snake and Raiden have changed over time and gone in divergent but similar directions with Raiden going full cyborg and gaining more and more personal power to turn himself into a one-man orgy of death and destruction, while Snake is fully capable of even greater levels of power but is himself only human. MG:R also shows us that despite all Raiden's power he still can't beat magic\nanomachines without some help, something that Snake can do all by himself.

MG:R show us exactly why Raiden is a plot device\secondary character in games where Snake exists; despite all his upgrades and training and animeness Raiden is still not as good at killing things as Snake is.

Jalathas posted:

We'll never know, maybe there really was a Djinni in that bottle but Drake destroyed the entire city with three bullets so odds are the Djinni and his bottle are lost forever.

e: You know, it occurs to me that the reason we have to try and work out what the bad guys are doing is because I think this might be the first game I've ever played where at no point do we get a big long monologue from one of the bad guys clearly laying out their plans and motivations, we also never get a little 'meanwhile in the evil lair' where the bad guys discuss their plans and motivations.

Basically I think this is the first game I've seen where the antagonists don't explain themselves in detail to the protagonist, which is probably why we have no clue what they were actually trying to do.

Neruz fucked around with this message at 09:44 on Jun 18, 2014

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.
:goonsay: The canon explanation, according to the wiki, is that the spiders were primitive Iramian booby traps. Folks searching for the lost city found them and brought back specimens, which is why the chateau was filled with them. The wiki also indicates that the drug Talbot uses and the stuff in Iram are completely unrelated-it just serves to set up the theme of mental manipulation through drugs, and hint at the sort of thing the bad guys would do with the stuff if they got their hands on an apparently infinite supply of something infinitely potent.

As far as the vessel, while its contents were unknown, I can offer some theorycrafting explanations. I think it's likely that the vessel was the source of Solomon's powers, not as a drug in the water, but as a brazier- the stuff inside was normally burnt, and was used to manipulate his subjects, explaining the idea of servant djinn and smokeless fire. At some point, something went wrong- possibly a rebellion, it's not clear- and the vessel gut dropped in the spring that Iram was built around, almost instantly spreading its effects throughout the entire city. After that, the city never stood a chance against the psychoactive toxin.

...Sorry, I might be distracted by something I saw from E3.

Discendo Vox fucked around with this message at 11:06 on Jun 18, 2014

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Frankly the most unbelievable thing about the game is the inexhaustible army of highly trained paramilitary operators that probably number more than the population of a small town in the UK, and the equally inexhaustible and impossibly well tailored waistcoats they all use for fighting in.

Has anybody on the dev team actually worn a waistcoat and do they have any idea how hard it is to keep them looking neat and slimming when doing anything except standing calmly?

I don't see why they need the drugs, when I'm sure they could build a space elevator to the moon with the impossible space material those waistcoats must be made out of.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Jalathas posted:

I think you're reading too far into it. Sully was making the connection between the mythological "genie in a bottle" and the hallucinogen that produced images of djinn being contained in a fancy brass vessel. It was a "Huh, looks like the myth of genies in bottles is related to this actual fact" reference, not an implication that there was literally a genie hiding in that container.

Chip Cheezum
Sep 5, 2006

Sic Parvis Magna and all that
So it'll be a bit longer before I've got multiplayer to record and edit, so The Wonderful 101 LP might actually start before that stuff is finished. Expect it, uh... in a few days?

Ometeotl
Feb 13, 2012

It's MISSEL! Or SISSLE!
I confused myself...

Fantastic news.

Mister Xenophobe
Feb 2, 2008

Chip Cheezum posted:

So it'll be a bit longer before I've got multiplayer to record and edit, so The Wonderful 101 LP might actually start before that stuff is finished. Expect it, uh... in a few days?

Cool, maybe you can show me how not to suck at the game.

HelloWinter
May 27, 2012

"Hey, Nagito, what'cha
thinkin' about?"

"Oh, y'know. Murder stuff."
Cool!! Can't wait for this one.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Chip Cheezum posted:

Bitchin'. Looking forward to it!

BottledBodhisvata
Jul 26, 2013

by Lowtax

Chip Cheezum posted:

At last. At last!

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

Chip Cheezum posted:

drat, I was hoping to actually beat it before you started.

Guess I have a weekend project now.

Rumda
Nov 4, 2009

Moth Lesbian Comrade

SatansBestBuddy posted:

drat, I was hoping to actually beat it before you started.

Guess I have a weekend project now.

Too late http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3645180

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

Dammit!

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Okay I have to say: Cutter is pulling off that male-pattern-baldness thing. He looks good.

MadDogMike
Apr 9, 2008

Cute but fanged
I wonder if it was an intentional joke or just a glorious coincidence, but I was highly amused when the credits started rolling after everybody got on a plane (making jokes about it crashing) the first image was of the wrecked plane from the desert. Little bit of foreshadowing there, Naughty Dog?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Looking forward to multiplayer.

Also, yay, Sully grabbed some ancient lost loot!

• Locked thread