Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

Neruz posted:

Yeah I forgot that Team Melee even existed but now that it's been mentioned I remember trying it once.

It was a dumb format because you needed to build another race's town hall as your first expansion so that whoever picked that one could get started. It's probably why top vs. bottom games became popular and eventually their own format.

But let's not forget the game modes no one ever played: slaughter and greed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat
It ain't SC1 until there's a 20min NR BIG GAME HUNTERS.

God I forgot how dumb and cathartic comp stomps were.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

KirbyKhan posted:

It ain't SC1 until there's a 20min NR BIG GAME HUNTERS.

Make it a four player game where no one does anything but turtles until you see a unit can't be placed message.

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness
With SC2's ability to mod supply limits it would be more like 30MIN NO RUSH UNLIMITED SUPPLY BIG GAME HUNTERS!

Fleets of hundreds of Carriers cruising around the map dispensing justice.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

My favorite thing in single player BW was to set up an 8-way free-for-all, turn on invincibility as Protoss, get a Dark Archon and MC a worker from other 2 races, build all the way up their tech trees, and faceroll everything with a 200/200/200 supply army of all three.

George
Nov 27, 2004

No love for your made-up things.
I think the reasoning behind archon mode is to compete with multiplayer games like LoL that are currently way more successful in the pro scene than SC2 is. It could be fun to watch on a pro level, but it means they're going to try to balance it.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Are... are you quite sure you really want to say that?
Taco Defender

Fucknag posted:

My favorite thing in single player BW was to set up an 8-way free-for-all, turn on invincibility as Protoss, get a Dark Archon and MC a worker from other 2 races, build all the way up their tech trees, and faceroll everything with a 200/200/200 supply army of all three.

That's sort-of how I beat the final Protoss mission in Brood War, I mind-controlled a Drone and managed to get it and the Archon out of base in a shuttle before the enemy attacked, then I built up a huge zerg force for the hold the line part of the mission. Good times.

Spudd
Nov 27, 2007

Protect children from "Safe Schools" social engineering. Shame!

Fucknag posted:

I'm so glad I am not the only one who did this a lot while younger.

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness
I think there was even a pro match where a Protoss player mind controlled an SCV and used it to get Siege Tanks to support his army. I don't remember if it was a real match or a show match though, probably the latter.

Nalesh
Jun 9, 2010

What did the grandma say to the frog?

Something racist, probably.
That's all I ever tried, it rarely succeeded.

Junior G-man
Sep 15, 2004

Wrapped in a mystery, inside an enigma

My favourite ever SC1 tactic, which only ever worked on BIG GAME HUNTERS NO RUSH was to have 196 (or whatever it was) of supply for fully upgraded carriers and one arbiter.

Bumrush the arbiter past the rockets/photon cannons/antiair things and just teleport this massive ball of carriers straight into their base. Rarely if ever worked, but so hilarious when it did.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

Junior G-man posted:

My favourite ever SC1 tactic, which only ever worked on BIG GAME HUNTERS NO RUSH was to have 196 (or whatever it was) of supply for fully upgraded carriers and one arbiter.

Bumrush the arbiter past the rockets/photon cannons/antiair things and just teleport this massive ball of carriers straight into their base. Rarely if ever worked, but so hilarious when it did.

Usually was a good idea to have a few high templar to create hallucinations of the arbiter.

Lord Booga
Sep 23, 2007
Huh?
Grimey Drawer
My favourite variation on the MC a worker and roll with 200/200/200 was to use an Arbiter to recall the worker away.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
Thread dead again?

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I don't know man everytime I go to the gym here there are like two huge dudes with raging high and tights snorting Nitro-tech off of each other's rock hard abs.

my dad posted:

Thread dead again?

Eh, it is midterm time now (if he's still in school) and most of the country has been buried under a foot or so of snow. I think Raldan's last post was at the end of January, so maybe it's taking another season long dirt nap while life things happen?

Zebrin
Mar 12, 2010

Chopping trees down and making elves cry.
That is entirely too logical.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raldan
Oct 21, 2010

HH Challenge Caster
(Pls no bm)
Yeah, I've been inactive. Unfortunately my LP activity corresponds directly to how much multiplayer SC2 I am playing, and I haven't been playing much at all. As much as I'd love to update the LP regardless, its just not fun for me unless I'm having fun with SC2 in general. I do expect to regain my passion some time though. Sooner or later I get the itch to play an RTS, and there's really only SC2 out there for competitive multiplayer. As much as I love SC2, you do get burnout after playing it for so many years.

I do have the next update recorded, I'll edit it and post it soon. I don't know if I can keep up a steady pace though. Updates will probably be sporadic until more LotV news comes out to get me pumped up.

• Locked thread