Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

John Romero
Jul 6, 2003

John Romero got made a bitch

neosloth posted:

The art on the star wars game is so repulsive that I haven’t even looked at the mechanics. It’s a bummer if they have all their eggs in that basket

It looks so fun but the art is so goddamn ugly I won’t touch it. Same with shatterpoint.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

John Romero
Jul 6, 2003

Bottom Liner posted:

FFG is a skeleton crew at this point and I have zero faith that they can handle any CCG, much less an IP as big as Star Wars. Plus Lorcana already ate their lunch.

Lorcana is a mass market product based on a wide range of Disney IP. I’m not even sure Disney would consider them competitors

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna

John Romero posted:

Lorcana is a mass market product based on a wide range of Disney IP. I’m not even sure Disney would consider them competitors

Psst: Disney also owns Star Wars

But FFG absolutely sees Ravensburger as a competitor. One of if not the largest non-asomdee competitor at that.

I actually like most of the art and the general style they're doing, but the card layout is awful. I will probably proxy some decks and try it out, we had fun with Destiny that way.

John Romero
Jul 6, 2003

Bottom Liner posted:

Psst: Disney also owns Star Wars

But FFG absolutely sees Ravensburger as a competitor. One of if not the largest non-asomdee competitor at that.

I actually like most of the art and the general style they're doing, but the card layout is awful. I will probably proxy some decks and try it out, we had fun with Destiny that way.

Yes why i said i doubt disney sees it as a competitor

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

I think you're missing the point: I'm not talking about Disney seeing the games as competitors, they win either way. But FFG definitely sees it as a competitor in the same space. Lorcana blew up enough to fill any gap in the CCG market in a way that will make it hard for Unlimited to get ground. FFG want it to be mass market too, they were pushing Destiny in Target and B&N as well.

John Romero
Jul 6, 2003

Bottom Liner posted:

I think you're missing the point: I'm not talking about Disney seeing the games as competitors, they win either way. But FFG definitely sees it as a competitor in the same space. Lorcana blew up enough to fill any gap in the CCG market in a way that will make it hard for Unlimited to get ground. FFG want it to be mass market too, they were pushing Destiny in Target and B&N as well.

i feel you. i was just unaware of their goals with unlimited- it seems that there are lots of games doing pretty well without target and i thought it was another one of those

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Yeah, FFG said this was their biggest project to date, in a way that comes off as almost desperate and like they're putting all their eggs in this basket to save what's left of the studio. They have serious plans for organized play for competitive, draft, casual, etc. I don't doubt the team is doing this all in earnest too, I just think it's going to be a tough road to plow in the current market.

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005
Yeah I don't think Disney would care either way as long as they get their license fee and whatever cut they get but Lorcana having come out relatively recently might mean the market for a relatively casual licensed CCG is somewhat tapped already which might impact the sales of the Star Wars thing.

They want Unlimited to be huge, it certainly feels like they sacrificed some of their other games for it over the last year (Arkham player salty they haven't released any content for 15 or so months, feels kinda like taking the "living" out of the living card game a bit) but maybe they just hosed up production some other way.

CitizenKeen
Nov 13, 2003

easygoing pedant

Bottom Liner posted:

I was down on the layout when I first saw it, but I've come around. I think we're used to seeing layout optimized for phones and social media, but that is kind of terrible for play.

When I printed out a bunch of proxy decks, I changed my mind on the layout. It's incredibly clear on the table. I can see my opponent's units and values pretty clearly without hinting at what I'm looking at. It's very, very functional. Function over form is nice, though maybe they went too far in favor of function.

Bottom Liner posted:

Yeah, FFG said this was their biggest project to date, in a way that comes off as almost desperate and like they're putting all their eggs in this basket to save what's left of the studio. They have serious plans for organized play for competitive, draft, casual, etc. I don't doubt the team is doing this all in earnest too, I just think it's going to be a tough road to plow in the current market.

Yeah, 2024 is going to be a brutal year for TCGs. It's going to be a bloodbath, as I understand it. And FFG definitely reeks of "last stand" here; I'm hopeful they pull it off because I like the game, but if it tanks (or worse, just stumbles along for a few years), I think it's the end of FFG in any shape or form.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

tomdidiot posted:

Lol secondary market LotR LCG Chapter pack prices are insane, espeically for the packs they aren't planning on reprinting.

Tell me about it. I'm missing the final one from the Ringmaker cycle and it's a few hundred AUD last I checked.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

tomdidiot posted:

1. Depends what decks you want to build. Dark of Mirkwood scenarios aren't bad and are much easier than the other scenarios you could get so may be worth getting those.
2. No, pretty much all the reprint stuff is good. They only reprinted better cycles for LOTR LCG in the new format so far - MEC107 and 108 are essentially 38-44 packaged together, and 110-11 are 47-53. You could skip the starters if you're not interested in playing them though.
3. Quite a lot. https://visionofthepalantir.com/2022/03/11/first-impressions-starter-decks/ - almost all the starter deck conents are from cycles that aren't currently in the pipeline to be reprinted. Player speculation is that the factions were deliberately chosen so players could still play as factions that wouldn't get much support in the planned cardpool. If you want to play those types of decks - grab it.
3.5 hallofbeorn.com, or ringsdb.com - both include the full card pool. If you sign up for an account on ringsdb you can make acustom pool with just the stuff you own/plan to get.
Very much appreciated! Is there a list of what cycles they do plan to reprint?

Splicer fucked around with this message at 22:28 on Jan 22, 2024

tomdidiot
Apr 23, 2014

Stupid Grognard

Splicer posted:

Very much appreciated! Is there a list of what they do plan to reprint?

Nothing has been annouced officially yet. However, the obvious reprint is Flame of the West and Mountain of Fire as Return of the King (given they've already repritned the other 4 LOTR Sagas)
There's a rumour that the only other currently planned reprint is the Wilds of Rhovanion/Ered Mithrin cycle (Cycle 8) - the designer apparently went on a podcast a few days ago and confirmed that that's in the works.
And that's it.

They've previously reprinted
Black Riders and Road Darkens as Fellowship of the Ring
Treason of Saruman and Land of Shadow as Two Towers
The Lost Realm and the Angmar Awakened cycle (Cycle 5)
The Grey Havens and the Dreamchaser Cycle (Cycle 6)

The cycles they picked kind of make sense. These quests were well-designed and thematic with good player cards - they definitely got better at designing LOTR cards/scenarios as the game matured.
Cycle 1 (Mirkwood)'s quests are pretty unfun (and to be honest, I think the decision to reprint the core with the old core set scenarios was a mistake),
Cycle 2 (Dwarrowdwelf)'s atmosphere and theme were better, they still don't feel as polished as later cycles.
Cycle 3 (Against the Shadow) has some great quests but has some extremely unfun mechanics mixed in which they've sinced moved on from.
Cycle 4 (Ringmaker) Had some highs and some really really low quests. though it did create one of the most popular player card themes (Silvans)
Cycle 7 (Haradrim) I thought actually had some decent quests, but apparently it didn't sell well.
Cycle 9 (Vegneance of Mordor) is too hard to really be "fun".
The Hobbit Sagas were OK, but the scenario design wasn't as polished/atmospheric as the LotR sagas, and well, the hobbit movies aren't as good

I think there's a community hope that if the reprints sell well, FFG could be presuaded to release more ofthe cycles, or at least the player cards from the cycles, but I think everything that has been said so far seems to suggest that none is currently in the works. If I had to choose, I'd print Ringmaker and Against the Shadow next, but I don't work for FFG.

tomdidiot fucked around with this message at 22:41 on Jan 22, 2024

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

tomdidiot posted:

The Hobbit Sagas were OK, but the scenario design wasn't as polished/atmospheric as the LotR sagas, and well, the hobbit movies aren't as good
Do you mean the sagas were based on the movies over the books or do you mean you personally don't care about the hobbit sagas because you didn't enjoy the films or do you mean they might not reprint the hobbit because the movies didn't do well?

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
The player cards in Vengeance of Mordor don't have a strong central theme but do enable a lot of weird and wonderful poo poo if you have a big collection. It was a good final set for the game but you can see why they chose other sets to reprint/repackage (first?).

tomdidiot
Apr 23, 2014

Stupid Grognard

Splicer posted:

Do you mean the sagas were based on the movies over the books or do you mean you personally don't care about the hobbit sagas because you didn't enjoy the films or do you mean they might not reprint the hobbit because the movies didn't do well?

The sagas are based on the books, but their popularity was also driven by the popularity of other content from the same source material, and FFG are probably looking at sales figures of the original print run when deciding what to print

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

John Romero
Jul 6, 2003

I got an original core set and two packs from the mirkwood cycle for $20 the other day