Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
No. 1 Callie Fan
Feb 17, 2011

This inkling is your FRIEND
She fights for LOVE
Another update is coming in August, this time jumping straight to version 3.0:

• Internet battles with your friends. As in, friends in your friend list. No idea how this is managed. Premium only.
  • Two new levels for local multiplayer play.
  • New subs that are unlocked with said local play. Premium only.
  • Eight new crew members are planned, "with various abilities such as launching mines while using the masker, and healing your allies."
  • Friendly fire is turned off, so no more team killers.
  • You can morse code with the d-pad.
  • In-game shop open for everybody, so everyone can buy those DLC subs.
  • The freemium playcoin cost is reduced from two to one. I guess it's an improvement...

In other news, the EU (and maybe the US) eShop is giving a 50% discount on the premium pass for one week and starting today, so this cycle would be a good time for getting one.

No. 1 Callie Fan fucked around with this message at 14:41 on Jul 17, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ganty
Jan 8, 2005
Because we want to! Because we want to!

Rexroom posted:

• Internet battles with your friends. As in, friends in your friend list. No idea how this is managed. Premium only.
  • Eight new crew members are planned, "with various abilities such as launching mines while using the masker, and healing your allies."
  • The freemium playcoin cost is reduced from two to one. I guess it's an improvement...

In other news, the EU (and maybe the US) eShop is giving a 50% discount on the premium pass for one week and starting today, so this cycle would be a good time for getting one.

WHAT. No more friendly fire? This is A TRAVESTY.

I feel like this game might be taken as an example of how Splatoon might be balanced when it comes out for Wii U. I can't really think of any other first party Nintendo titles with competitive team match-making so it's maybe a good indication.

SgtKirby
Nov 19, 2012

Rexroom posted:

I am kinda happy they are turning off Friendly fire because there at time where I totally forgot which team am I after playing for so long and have close range combat where you accident hit them when the enemy dodges. That one FF may cost the entire match.

No. 1 Callie Fan
Feb 17, 2011

She fights for LOVE

• Friend-list battles. Create a room, have friends wander in and start a battle.
  • Two new maps for local/friend-list play: Underwater Plant (new map) and Underwater Rings (the first map in single player)
  • Freemium players can also buy DLC subs
  • Preset morse-code messages
  • Long-range hits garner more points. Also, torpedos get a 1.25 speed bonus when subs are going forward
  • Eight new crew members (only found on various single player missions), also tweaked the Clairvoyant and Mechanic
  • Friendly fire turned off
  • Freemium play now eats only one play coin instead of two
http://en-americas-support.nintendo.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/4822/~/installing-the-steel-diver%3A-sub-wars-update

No. 1 Callie Fan fucked around with this message at 08:17 on Aug 6, 2014

Fight! For your kite!
Jul 29, 2008
The new Morse code shortcuts work well albeit they are spammed on lobby screen. I keep forgetting that friendly fire is off and act too hesitantly in melees. I tend to think that it dumbs down battles as well. The new crewman should of been hidden in online play as mission mode is so grueling. There seems to have been other minor changes as well. Crew members now have little quotes, mission mode timers/enemies are a bit softer among other things.

I wish they would balance out some of the awkwardness in the multiplayer. Supply ships and players who kite aiming to draw come to mind.

I want to play the new maps/subs. Do you guys want to play some mp?

No. 1 Callie Fan
Feb 17, 2011

She fights for LOVE

TEHJOE posted:

I want to play the new maps/subs. Do you guys want to play some mp?

Possibly, although that would need some sort of scheduling.

No. 1 Callie Fan
Feb 17, 2011

She fights for LOVE
New 4.0 version up and running!

This time they've made the subs more maneuverable, added the ability to increase the crew capacity in exchange for $0.99 up to six members, make it easier to find missing crew in single player missions and - most importantly - removed the play coin fee.

eightysixed
Sep 23, 2004

I always tell the truth. Even when I lie.
Wow, that's actually a pretty nice update. I wonder how active the online community is. I guess I'll find out :getin:

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I've had this game on my 2DS for ages and never actually played it. I guess I'll give it a shot!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ganty
Jan 8, 2005
Because we want to! Because we want to!

Rexroom posted:

New 4.0 version up and running!

This time they've made the subs more maneuverable, added the ability to increase the crew capacity in exchange for $0.99 up to six members, make it easier to find missing crew in single player missions and - most importantly - removed the play coin fee.

I'm back in boys!

• Locked thread