Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

UwUnabomber posted:

I live right next to one of the smaller branches of the Detroit Public Library. Like literally next door. It rules hard. They've got a ton of physical TPBs too. Getting a library card in Detroit was a whole new era of comic reading for me.

Meanwhile I'm in Oxford Michigan and our library has no interest in Hoopla or any of the other perks

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Medullah posted:

Meanwhile I'm in Oxford Michigan and our library has no interest in Hoopla or any of the other perks

Is your job in a different city? You can often get a card in the city you work in even if you don't live there. Or sometimes there's a county library system.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

Air Skwirl posted:

Is your job in a different city? You can often get a card in the city you work in even if you don't live there. Or sometimes there's a county library system.

I work from home so no luck there. It's fine though, I have a massive backlog of comics already

UwUnabomber
Sep 9, 2012

Pubes dreaded out so hoes call me Chris Barnes. I don't wear a condom at the pig farm.
I was gonna suggest getting a nonresident Detroit library card but Jumping Jesus on a Pogo Stick it's $100/year.

cartoons123
Nov 7, 2013

UwUnabomber posted:

I was gonna suggest getting a nonresident Detroit library card but Jumping Jesus on a Pogo Stick it's $100/year.

Yeah, most paid library cards are fairly expensive and (usually) place limits on what you can borrow. Like my library doesn’t have comics or hoopla (or video games or… much honestly) but I can buy a card for another town, but I can’t borrow e-books with it, and it doesn’t get me much beyond the books they physically have.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

God, I'm so glad that I can not only get a card for my city's library system (and there's a branch across the street, so I can easily get physical books sent there for pickup), but the surrounding counties also offer cards to my city's residents for free.

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

Our's is a big regional system for Vancouver Island & a handful of remote islands. Seems a good way to go, if there isn't the population density of a big city. Good luck convincing multiple governments to cooperate though.

SlothBear
Jan 25, 2009

Yeah my local one services a massive physical area but it's the only real library in that area so it makes sense, in a surprising move for a city government funded thing.

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

If anyone reads this thread and is intrigued by Hoopla but lives someplace with no/poor access to it, keep in mind many US libraries offer paid out-of-county registration that allows access to online resources including Hoopla (Libby, Kanopy, and other services are worth trying too!).

My local library likes to brag on how many users it has internationally. Compared to a year of Marvel/DC/Kindle, the cost can be quite competitive!

I'll make this my New Year's Goon resolution, to sniff out some good value-for-checkout rates in US libraries.

Zachack
Jun 1, 2000

Can any YACreader users tell me if it can, within the app, copy files from a network mounted drive like a Nvidia shield? The website implies this is possible but seems to reference a separate desktop program that I want to avoid.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

You have to used the server app which is available for Windows/Mac/Linux. It can also grab stuff from a linked OneDrive/DropBox/Google Drive as well.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
if you are a tachiyomi user, make a library backup and, if you know how, backup the apk as well because the devs have closed shop

https://tachiyomi.org/news/2024-01-13-goodbye

e: it looks like the dev of the fork TachiyomiSY has decided to keep it available, though it may be renamed in the future

site fucked around with this message at 22:46 on Jan 13, 2024

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin
https://x.com/mangaalerts/status/1779730054668259443?s=46&t=X6-Ut4Z5gjBZ_q10eeG_mg

The Viz app is a fantastic deal, there’s tons of great manga both old and current on it. Check it out if you’re in the UK, Ireland, Australia, or New Zealand

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

https://bsky.app/profile/omnibus.bsky.social/post/3kqj67nft2s22

Omnibus app coming to Android any day now, from the sound of it.

Combined with Comixology's notification that it will die in Kindle's stomach, I'm game to try a new digital comics store. Google Play Books and Kobo haven't cut it for me.