Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
cmykJester
Feb 16, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
I decided to have this thread to have discussion of the Story of Dark Souls II without having spoilers in the main thread, and to make it easier to read story theories without dealing with CIA document levels of black bars.

Spoilers: All story elements, item descriptions, NPC dialogue, wild guessing about the story, etc. are fair game, if you are reading this thread you are almost guaranteed to be Spoiled. YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cmykJester
Feb 16, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
Reserved for hopefully some of the more interesting ideas/things we have come to a consensus on.

A few things I noticed:

In the opening cut scene the player character is lead into the whirlpool by fireflies, maybe the PC was actually lead there by the singing witches?

One of the more interesting theories that I have seen so far is that the Lost Sinner is actually the PC from the first game and that it implies that both endings were canon in Dark Souls 1, being that Solaire stopped the PC from becoming a Dark Lord at the last minute and then linking the fire by himself. The PC is known as the Sinner because she has almost plunged the world into eternal dark.

cmykJester fucked around with this message at 14:09 on Mar 17, 2014

sex shop clearance rack
Jan 20, 2011
That idea about the Lost Sinner goes out the window when it is explicitly revealed that it's a lady.

I like the idea that the Tower of Flame is actually a ruined Anor Londo, being both the location where you fight Ornstein and the fact that the Blue Sentinels have a lot of overlap with the Darkmoons, being blue invaders who punish the guilty using blue eye orbs. Plus, the architecture is similar.

Mercury_Storm
Jun 12, 2003

*chomp chomp chomp*
I still don't understand why the Milfanito lady was locked up in the tower in the castle. Also have no clue who Amana was and why the Shrine existed! I sort of went through the entire portion of the game after the castle being like "ok I have no clue why I'm here, looks cool I guess?"

ThePhenomenalBaby
May 3, 2011
But who was the first born guys?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!!?

The only thing I care about is why Nito would go through the hassle of creating a race of male crypt guardians and female song singers. Especially fleshy ones. Seems odd for a giant skeleton. No mention of the demon race seems kinda weird too but whatever.

Pretty sure this place isn't supposed to be Lordran, but that really doesn't matter. I wonder what it means for the future of Dark Souls world if Manus can essentially regenerate into different forms.

Tetramin
Apr 1, 2006

I'ma buck you up.

cmykjester posted:

I decided to have this thread to have discussion of the Story of Dark Souls II without having spoilers in the main thread, and to make it easier to read story theories without dealing with CIA document levels of black bars.

Spoilers: All story elements, item descriptions, NPC dialogue, wild guessing about the story, etc. are fair game, if you are reading this thread you are almost guaranteed to be Spoiled. YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED

Shadowlz
Oct 3, 2011

Oh it's gonna happen one way or the other, pal.

So there is a story to this game?

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Lost Sinner is most likely one of the last Witches of Izalith, in eternal penance for the sins committed by her family.

The game flat out tells you that you were led to Drangleic by the Emerald Herald. You know that lady that narrates the intro? That's the Herald speaking through someone else. Or the Herald assuming another form. i don't know, but the Herald literally says "hey I'm the one that led you here" so it seems like the logical conclusion.

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Why do you assume it's the Herald speaking through someone else, and not the actual Herald?

My biggest crackpot thing has been that this whole world is bullshit from the beginning. Nobody is paying enough attention to that weird opening cinematic in their straightforward analyses. We're in somebody's pocket universe, or the Abyss, or the Painted World. Things from Lordran keep washing up, but in unusual places, because just like the protagonist, they're falling or being thrown in from somewhere else. Everything is as beautiful and grand as Anor Londo, from the first time we step into "town".

What's up with that painting of Nashandra? What's up with all the magic mirrors? Why doesn't the geography make any sense? Why does everything (like the Throne) look like something or recall something from Lordran, but skewed and impossible to parse? Why does Nashandra look like Nito even though she's supposed to be Manus, and why are the guardians and tenders of the dead the -nito?

Either we're all on the island of misfit toys, or the developers didn't give a gently caress about making the Dark Souls 2 lore coherent. The latter is probably more likely, but I think the DLC will answer a lot of our questions, either by design or because people demand it. The DLC for Dark Souls was integral to wrapping up the first game, answering dangling threads like the fate of the Furtive Pygmy and showing the consequences of the Dark winning.

Vanderdeath
Oct 1, 2005

I will confess,
I love this cultured hell that tests my youth.

Mercury_Storm posted:

I still don't understand why the Milfanito lady was locked up in the tower in the castle. Also have no clue who Amana was and why the Shrine existed! I sort of went through the entire portion of the game after the castle being like "ok I have no clue why I'm here, looks cool I guess?"

I just posted a dumb thing in the PC thread about this but instead of quoting myself, I'll just make it brief: The Shrine of Amana and the Milfanito are measures taken by Vendrick to keep Nashandra bound to Castle Drangleic. The Milfanito's song keeps those affected by the Dark pacified, as evident with those kappa dudes in the Shrine who have a far smaller aggro radius when the song is going.

Vendrick found out what was going on with Nashandra and tried his best to keep her away from the Throne of Want. He even went as far as to lock his own soul away before retiring to the crypt to go fully Hollow.

SirDan3k
Jan 6, 2001

Trust me, you are taking this a lot more seriously then I am.
I doubt the developers just threw it all together judging from their previous work.

I really don't get the biggest complaint, that the Iron Keep and the Poison Valley connecting doesn't make sense, to USGS.gov that poo poo, "Magma contains dissolved gases that are released into the atmosphere during eruptions. Gases are also released from magma that either remains below ground (for example, as an intrusion) or is rising toward the surface. In such cases, gases may escape continuously into the atmosphere from the soil, volcanic vents, fumaroles, and hydrothermal systems."

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

SirDan3k posted:

I doubt the developers just threw it all together judging from their previous work.

I really don't get the biggest complaint, that the Iron Keep and the Poison Valley connecting doesn't make sense, to USGS.gov that poo poo, "Magma contains dissolved gases that are released into the atmosphere during eruptions. Gases are also released from magma that either remains below ground (for example, as an intrusion) or is rising toward the surface. In such cases, gases may escape continuously into the atmosphere from the soil, volcanic vents, fumaroles, and hydrothermal systems."

You ride an elevator that goes up.

Earthen Peak from afar stands alone. Earthen Peak up close (When you go outside it to reach the laddersmith), it seems built into the mountain but still near the foot of it.

And an elevator that goes straight up deposits you at the invisible sky volcano.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
I like Dark Souls 2 as much as the next guy but having a PC thread and a console thread and lore thread is probably too many loving threads. Not to mention there usually wasn't that much trouble discussing lore before in the first place.

What I'm saying is this thread is unnecessary and it was dumb to make it. At most all that needed to happen was a "OK TIMES UP!" declaration and to tag the title/OP of the existing thread as spoiler guard off.

Spite
Jul 27, 2001

Small chance of that...

Vanderdeath posted:

I just posted a dumb thing in the PC thread about this but instead of quoting myself, I'll just make it brief: The Shrine of Amana and the Milfanito are measures taken by Vendrick to keep Nashandra bound to Castle Drangleic. The Milfanito's song keeps those affected by the Dark pacified, as evident with those kappa dudes in the Shrine who have a far smaller aggro radius when the song is going.

Vendrick found out what was going on with Nashandra and tried his best to keep her away from the Throne of Want. He even went as far as to lock his own soul away before retiring to the crypt to go fully Hollow.

The Shrine is there to keep the Demon of Song suppressed. I don't recall if they ever say where it came from, or why the drat castle is on top of it though.

texting my ex
Nov 15, 2008

I am no one
I cannot squat
It's in my blood
I think a separate thread for lore discussion is ok. I don't read both the PC and the console thread so I can miss some discussions

anyway, there's one thing I love about the stories in both DS games. You're an undead among thousands on the same journey. Death makes you more and more hollow. Death also means you're more likely to put the game down and never touch it again. When you finally stop playing out of frustration, that's when your undead becomes completely hollow :v:

FutonForensic
Nov 11, 2012

I just found this picture which shows that the images in the Shrine of Winter are taken from an engraving in the Dragon Shrine:

But why are there statues of the primordial serpents with their heads removed also in the shrine? Do they have a connection to the to the murals shown above?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Glukeose
Jun 6, 2014

Internet Kraken posted:

Lost Sinner is most likely one of the last Witches of Izalith, in eternal penance for the sins committed by her family.

The game flat out tells you that you were led to Drangleic by the Emerald Herald. You know that lady that narrates the intro? That's the Herald speaking through someone else. Or the Herald assuming another form. i don't know, but the Herald literally says "hey I'm the one that led you here" so it seems like the logical conclusion.

Not sure what the general attitude of goons is towards Vaati and his lore videos, but in the original Japanese dialogue the Emerald Herald says that the Bearer of the Curse was led to Drangleic "By a Bunraku of myself."

• Locked thread