Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mike Arthur McVein
Feb 15, 2023

I recently started having a strange issue with the audio out on the Roland J6 that no other gear has given me before, I wonder if anyone here has encountered something similar. The mix out/headphone jack distorts the left channel when using headphones, but sounds clean when running through other gear(tested with a TRS to RCA cable into a Sound Canvas, and a TRS to dual TS into a Tascam DP). Tried factory reset, thorough cleaning, different headphones and charger, nothing seems to get rid of the distortion except running the output to something else first.
It wouldn't even bother me too much if it was both channels but it's just the left one and it's annoying. Only guess I have so far is maybe the headphone cable tips are more worn down than the splitter cables' and I need to tighten up the jack on the J6 somehow.

Mike Arthur McVein fucked around with this message at 01:47 on Apr 22, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cabbages and Kings
Aug 25, 2004

Shall we be trotting home again?
A modular success story:

I had all this poo poo set up at a friends', and he and his brother were jamming on guitars (which was re-colorizing the video stream which was a mix of video of us, analog shapes, and pictures of amusement parks which would change based on a gate high coming off one of the guitar envelopes :laugh: ) and his brother said "can you give us a beat?" and QD gave us a beat and then said "hmm, sorta hard for me to just invert progressions right now can you add a bassline" and I touched rene and xpo a bit and I guess got something good enough going because they started wiling out.

I am being a bit tongue and cheek but also it did feel like a little bit of a level up moment because if you'd handed me a modular rack 2 years ago and asked for drums and bass I woulda stared at you like a deer in headlights and then peed

So Math
Jan 8, 2013

Ghostly Clothier
That's sick as hell!

DreadUnknown
Nov 4, 2020

Bird is the word.
drat thats rad.

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

rad. what are analog shapes tho?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cabbages and Kings
Aug 25, 2004

Shall we be trotting home again?

KoRMaK posted:

rad. what are analog shapes tho?

LZX works by using/abusing video specs directly to generate image data. Their oscillators provide, among other things, modes for creating horizontal and vertical lines; if you mix a horizontal sine/halfsine with a vertical sine or halfsine, you start to get circles, more or less. To simplify the literal construction of shapes there are a couple helper modules which are, uh... static oscillators, essentially? LZX makes "Dual Shape Generator" (https://lzxindustries.net/products/dsg3) which has 2 sides each of which will generate a variety of different shapes based on how the switches are flipped, and which can then be animated or warped with CV.

Syntonie has a new thing I have an IOU preorder in for called Rampes that I am very eyes on; it's similar to DSG in that I think it's basically a static oscillator block; unlike DSG it has zero CV and instead just provides 16 different outputs, each of which produces a different "ramp". A ramp is a grayscale image which goes from 0/black to 1/white across either the horizontal, vertical or both axis, and the rate of change can be linear, log or exponential. If you start to think about what happens when you combine/stack multiples of those, "shape generation" might be a space you land in

I made the analog distinction just because most of this stuff is entirely analog, and I think that's super cool. There's exceptions but usually with a purpose; Ribbons is a digital module that's trying hard to replicate the look of 8-bit digitizers from a specific era, poo poo like that.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PbKT5PH1rJs&t=348s

e: notably, stuff like Sleepy Circuits hypno is not analog, and while I don't have any problem with that and might eventually own one as a complex visual noise source, that stuff just feels more like "winamp visuals with CV" than "synthesis" to me. Like I'd rather be using Resolme or Luman at that point?