Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth
I thought he already had a new name. It should still be changed to "techno-utopian garbage " though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!

Main Paineframe posted:

I think it's some technically possible but practically impossible thing bitcoiners like to fantasize about based on a thing where you set up a transaction that only sends if some third-party does a thing, which is basically a semi-automated escrow.

Bitcoiners, being bitcoiners, naturally use that as a basis to dream of a world where they write their contracts ~in the blockchain~ and when the conditions of the contract are fulfilled, ~the blockchain~ will magically learn about those real-life events somehow and release the money all on its own without human interactions. It's techno-utopian garbage.

i am a total sperglord and even i don't want my life to consist of fulfilling terms of contracts to the letter

seriously how broken do you have to be to want that

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Every moment I'm alive, I pray for death!

Who What Now posted:

I thought he already had a new name. It should still be changed to "techno-utopian garbage " though.

He was posting under the Reality Apologist account for a while, though I forget why exactly.

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

Captain_Maclaine posted:

He was posting under the Reality Apologist account for a while, though I forget why exactly.

He inherited it from some other technoevangelist or something, and probably thought he could do some ~deep cover~ posting.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Captain_Maclaine posted:

He lost his password or couldn't reset it because he didn't have his old email address any more. It was some basic tech thing but it's loving funny considering how much he likes talking about techno bullshit.

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Every moment I'm alive, I pray for death!

ALL-PRO SEXMAN posted:

He lost his password or couldn't reset it because he didn't have his old email address any more. It was some basic tech thing but it's loving funny considering how much he likes talking about techno bullshit.

That is the best thing I've heard in a while.

wheez the roux
Aug 2, 2004
THEY SHOULD'VE GIVEN IT TO LYNCH

Death to the Seahawks. Death to Seahawks posters.
don't forget dilettante something or whatever the gently caress his name was who was an eripsa acolyte who unironically wore steampunk goggles and a loving top hat and might have been even less grounded in reality than the man himself

those two were peas in a techno-psychotic pod

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe
For people wanting a better picture of how they expect "smart contracts" to work - you know how in MMOs you might have an auction house or whatever where you can set a minimum price to sell 6 pig's heads or whatever and then it automatically sends the items to someone when the price or trade is fufilled? They think they can do that, but with real life items, using a website.

Just put your artisianal steampunk goggles somewhere, set terms, and some system magically handles the transfer of ownership etc for you.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Peel posted:

What is a 'smart contract'?
I originally read it as 'smart contacts' and assumed that it would allow me to have groups of contacts over different devices or something, so one of my circles of friends can call me without needing my number, or other services we use get automatically linked, or something. I dunno exactly what it would be but it sounded infinitely more useful for a social network than the ability to sign power of attorney over to someone I met at a gig with the internet blockchains as witnesses.

eXXon posted:

It looks like a pretty convincing ad for Diaspora, actually.
Diaspora is pretty cool as a concept, but nobody uses it.

Cakebaker
Jul 23, 2007
Wanna buy some cake?

Guavanaut posted:

I originally read it as 'smart contacts' and assumed that it would allow me to have groups of contacts over different devices or something, so one of my circles of friends can call me without needing my number, or other services we use get automatically linked, or something. I dunno exactly what it would be but

It would be facebook.

There is nothing wrong with smart contracts, by the way. Say I've purchased some heroin and the seller guaranteed it to be of mediocre quality. Turns out it's not and now I'm dead. In the old days there would be no repercussions because I'm dead and my computer is encrypted and I don't know anyone in real life I could trust to carry out my last will and testament. Well, the smart contract begs to differ and now the guy has a scammer tag. The system works.

Cnidaria
Apr 10, 2009

It's all politics, Mike.

The smart contract thing is funny since aren't basically all EULAs and contracts made up by non lawyers basically not enforceable under the law?

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Cnidaria posted:

The smart contract thing is funny since aren't basically all EULAs and contracts made up by non lawyers basically not enforceable under the law?

Nah, lots of basic contracts are easy to enforce, because they don't get up to anything complicated. There's not a lot to argue your way out of for SmithCo agrees to deliver 50 tons of sorghum to Bob LLC in return for $2600 bank transfer every quarter.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Cakebaker posted:

There is nothing wrong with smart contracts, by the way. Say I've purchased some heroin and the seller guaranteed it to be of mediocre quality. Turns out it's not and now I'm dead. In the old days there would be no repercussions because I'm dead and my computer is encrypted and I don't know anyone in real life I could trust to carry out my last will and testament. Well, the smart contract begs to differ and now the guy has a scammer tag. The system works.

Can my smart contract program do a chargeback if it detects I haven't logged in for a day and concludes I died from tainted drugs, or is the lack of chargebacks a feature to protect the usability of the currency.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Cnidaria posted:

EULAs are nowhere near as hard to enforce as this. Contracts made by non-lawyers will usually stand up eventually, just be much more expensive to litigate. What a lawyer is doing when they write a contract is making it very hard for the other side to confuse the issue enough that you have to have a full trial, instead of the judge taking a look at the contract and throwing one of the parties out on their rear end. For example:

Nintendo Kid posted:

Nah, lots of basic contracts are easy to enforce, because they don't get up to anything complicated. There's not a lot to argue your way out of for SmithCo agrees to deliver 50 tons of sorghum to Bob LLC in return for $2600 bank transfer every quarter.

This is not as easy as you'd think: what counts as delivery, what counts as sorghum of acceptable quality? Especially the latter. A judge will enforce the contract but you'll have to have a full trial over both issues instead of "here is the contract, here is the quality he delivered, it doesn't meet the carefully specified quality". The judge will have to have both sides present evidence about what the contract means instead of just saying "it means what is written here".

Caros
May 14, 2008

Guavanaut posted:

Diaspora is pretty cool as a concept, but nobody uses it.

ISIS/ISIL/Daesh/Snuffleupagus uses it.

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

VitalSigns posted:

Can my smart contract program do a chargeback if it detects I haven't logged in for a day and concludes I died from tainted drugs, or is the lack of chargebacks a feature to protect the usability of the currency.

The lack of chargebacks is a feature to protect captains of industry from the unwashed customer. Just look at all the businesses who get slightly inconvenienced by chargebacks today!

Cakebaker
Jul 23, 2007
Wanna buy some cake?

VitalSigns posted:

Do not dwell on the past - the smart contract will lead the charge forward. If the smart contract deduces you are dead it will conclude you have no use for the money and send it into the ether, making everyone still alive slightly richer.

If you simply went camping or had your phone stolen and now have an angry drug dealer hunting you, well you have a choice in smart contracts and it looks like you made the wrong one.

Krotera
Jun 16, 2013

I AM INTO MATHEMATICAL CALCULATIONS AND MANY METHODS USED IN THE STOCK MARKET
It's sort of like Bitcoin where the technology works just fine (based on what I got out of the Synereo guys, it's functional although not super novel) but for its guarantees to be remotely strong relies on third party behavior it can't guarantee.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Krotera posted:

It's sort of like Bitcoin where the technology works just fine (based on what I got out of the Synereo guys, it's functional although not super novel) but for its guarantees to be remotely strong relies on third party behavior it can't guarantee.
90% of server activity will be generating random numbers to prove that you're really doing real server activity, and whoever controls 51% of the server workload gets to delete people's friends?

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

Krotera posted:

It's completely against any basic principle of cryptography, because whoever controls 51% of the computing power wins. The whole point of cryptography, I'm told, is that it should not take (n/2)+1 computing power to defeat it, but a disproportionately higher amount. Oh and not dumb make-work forever just because, but encryption followed by doing nothing.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

blowfish posted:

It's completely against any basic principle of cryptography, because whoever controls 51% of the computing power wins. The whole point of cryptography, I'm told, is that it should not take (n/2)+1 computing power to defeat it, but a disproportionately higher amount. Oh and not dumb make-work forever just because, but encryption followed by doing nothing.

Good cryptography is along the lines of "takes your computer under a second to encrypt it, would take longer than the age of the universe if you converted every atom into a computer to brute-force"

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

evilweasel posted:

Good cryptography is along the lines of "takes your computer under a second to encrypt it, would take longer than the age of the universe if you converted every atom into a computer to brute-force"

Clearly the solution is to convert the entire universe into buttcoin miners :v:

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

evilweasel posted:

Agreed, but the 51% and the strong cryptography are only tangentially related though. The strong cryptography (or strong hashing, which is related) part is the 'easy to verify, hard to generate' part of mining that stops people saying "I found all the butts", the 51% is their attempt to have the transaction log, which has to be public, verified without any central authority.

If you start from the premise that all central authority is bad, even a committee or shareholders, I'm not sure how else you could better do it. (Not that this is necessarily a good premise to start from.)

Krotera
Jun 16, 2013

I AM INTO MATHEMATICAL CALCULATIONS AND MANY METHODS USED IN THE STOCK MARKET

blowfish posted:

For a system like Bitcoin I'm not sure you can do better than 51%. You can make checking if a transaction log is valid much harder than that but afaik you can't make checking if a transaction log is the canonical one any harder than that.

It's broken but AFAIK Bitcoin is still making the guarantees it promised to.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Cakebaker posted:

It would be facebook.

The biggest flaw in smart contracts is "how does the computer know you're dead"? No one will sell on a site where the customer's money is automatically refunded if they don't come online and press a "Not Dead" button every day, since bitcoiners have continuously proven themselves too scammy for that, but anything else relying on people's input is basically just standard escrow.

"Smart contracts", as bitcoiners conceive them, are distinguished by the computer itself deciding whether the terms of the contract are met, without any direct human input. This is why smart contracts are solely theoretical and wildly impractical, because a bitcoin-style "smart contract" involves the contractchain AI finding your death certificate on the publicrecordschain and automatically updating the seller's profile with a scammer tag, then uploading the seller's details to your favorite private police company's policechain database (but only after checking your wallet records to see if you've been keeping up with your protection payments), then downloading your will from the willchain and automatically distributing all of your possessions (somehow) to the people in it, and then pulling the last football game's results from the sportschain and pulling twenty bucks from your best friend's wallet and giving it to you because they bet wrong on the game's results.

T-1000
Mar 28, 2010
So I saw a thing in the news today:

The BBC posted:

Turkey: Mayor replaces giant robot statue with T-Rex

The mayor of Turkey's capital city has responded to complaints over a giant robot statue by replacing it with a huge T-Rex.
The robot first appeared in the middle of a roundabout in Ankara at the start of April, causing some people to assume it was an elaborate April Fool's joke. But it was actually erected to promote a new amusement park, a pet project of the city's long-time mayor Melih Gokcek. Mr Gokcek - who is often described as a colourful character - supported the park's construction over the objection of Turkey's Chamber of Architects and Engineers. The chamber is now suing him for spending taxpayers' money on the statue.
They may have more complaints now though, as the huge, Transformer-like creation has been replaced by the equally arresting sight of a 3m-high model dinosaur, Today's Zaman reports. The T-Rex, teeth bared and seemingly on the prowl, was selected after the mayor asked for Twitter users' suggestions on which dinosaur to choose. It has been greeting drivers at the intersection since Wednesday. And it might not be the last statue to grace the site. "I will also replace the dinosaur with something else," Mr Gokcek says, although he hasn't given any clues as to what may come next.
Why should this interest you? Because this is exactly the thing that I predicted in the first Attention Economy thread: giant tyrannosaur statues being constructed at the whim of Twitter. I'd link it if I had archives.

Eripsa, I'm sorry I ever doubted you. Your ideas were simply before their time. Sign me up for whatever it is you're peddling now.

murphyslaw
Feb 16, 2007
It never fails

Mercury_Storm posted:

My idea for a Marble Economy is that the distribution of marbles should be a function of the flow of marbles. Right now, marbles are allocated not on the basis of need for marbles, but on the basis of no marbles. One marble can be exchanged for one marble, so the marbles end up where the marbles are. But marbles are needed where empty stomachs exist, and there is no guarantee that wherever an empty stomach exists there will be a marble to exchange for that stomach. Often, marbles are completely absent where marbles are needed most, and so a marble-based economy may not even recognize the failure of distribution of marbles at all. The alternative is to distribute marbles based on the flow of Marble; since Marble can't be faked, there will be less room for these kinds of oversights and marble inefficiencies. Any person with an empty stomach can still exchange that stomach for Marble, so if we can track where the Marble is flowing we have a better shot of making sure the stomach get there. I don't expect that Marble is a perfect indicator of value, but my view is that it will be a hell of a lot more accurate than money[...]

Now, this is incoherent and insane, so a goon (I can't remember who) popped up in a PYF thread somewhere and offered this clarification, which really sold me on the concept:

some goon posted:

marbles marbles. Right now, marbles marbles, marbles. One marble one marble, marbles marbles. marbles marbles, a marble empty stomach a marble to exchange for that stomach. marbles marbles, marble-based economy failure of distribution of marbles. marbles Marble; Marble can't be faked, marble inefficiencies. An person Marble, Marble the cheeseburgers. Marble, a hell of a lot more accurate than money.

? marbley.

Imagine that every human being alive straps a little box of marbles on their foreheads. little boxes shoot out marbles, 10 marbles a second. It shoots these marbles. marbles crude approximation marbles. marbles.

little boxes strapped to your head. marbleness; marble-tracking sophisticated real-time marble scanners. Marble Economy. boxes on foreheads with marbles shooting. Still with me?

marbles. Marble Marble-units. Marble economy, "Marble reserves" Marble. Marble. Marble incoming marbles, marbles marble day.

marbles. Marble marbles one marble. Marble marbles shot out of the little box on my forehead. Marble Marbles marbles marble network.

Marbles no Marbles. Marble Marbles Marbles. Marbles Marble Marbles. Marble Marbles my marbles. Marbles marbles marbles marble society. marbles Marbles marbles Marble marbles. Marble Marbles anti-marblism, marbles marbles.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

murphyslaw posted:

Now, this is incoherent and insane, so a goon (I can't remember who) popped up in a PYF thread somewhere and offered this clarification, which really sold me on the concept:

It's funny though, because it makes way more sense if you just straight up say "pay attention to thing number go up! go up good! no pay attention thing, number go down! go down BAD!".

Mercury_Storm
Jun 12, 2003

*chomp chomp chomp*
Marble Economy, Exhibit A:

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth
The idea of people walking around just constantly pelting everything with marbles and making a disastrous mess everywhere they go and giving one another massive bruises and welts still makes me laugh to this day.

twodot
Aug 7, 2005

You are objectively correct that this person is dumb and has said dumb things

Guavanaut posted:

Agreed, but the 51% and the strong cryptography are only tangentially related though. The strong cryptography (or strong hashing, which is related) part is the 'easy to verify, hard to generate' part of mining that stops people saying "I found all the butts", the 51% is their attempt to have the transaction log, which has to be public, verified without any central authority.

If you start from the premise that all central authority is bad, even a committee or shareholders, I'm not sure how else you could better do it. (Not that this is necessarily a good premise to start from.)
The whole 51% attack thing is a red herring. Determining which block chain is the valid one is a social problem not a technical problem. Anyone who has a wallet with > 0 bitcoins will only acknowledge blockchains that at least agree with how many bitcoins they own, no matter how long it is. This is true even with central authorities, if the bank tomorrow told me my account had two dollars in it, I wouldn't just go "Oh well, I guess the bank is right".

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

twodot posted:

The whole 51% attack thing is a red herring. Determining which block chain is the valid one is a social problem not a technical problem. Anyone who has a wallet with > 0 bitcoins will only acknowledge blockchains that at least agree with how many bitcoins they own, no matter how long it is. This is true even with central authorities, if the bank tomorrow told me my account had two dollars in it, I wouldn't just go "Oh well, I guess the bank is right".

It doesn't matter which chain you agree with, it matters which chain everyone you want to buy from agrees with!

CheesyDog
Jul 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
The Chinese government is currently implementing a nationwide electronic system, called the Social Credit System, attributing to each of its 1,3 billion citizens a score for his or her behavior. The system will be based on various criteria, ranging from financial credibility and criminal record to social media behavior. From 2020 onwards each adult citizen should, besides his identity card, have such a credit code.

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

ASHERAH DEMANDS I FEAST, I VOTE FOR A FEAST OF FLESH
But does the system use marbles? That is the important question.

CheesyDog
Jul 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Slaan posted:

But does the system use marbles? That is the important question.

it'll be a system of Chinese checkers

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

an illustrative example of how real people have conversations

• Locked thread