Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."

Doc Aquatic posted:

Oh, that's interesting. So, for example, if someone is on an arc did the first 35-XP arc quest, then a 35-XP sidequest, would finishing their second on-arc quest finish that arc? Or would Fascination only count because it's more clearly tied to the knight arc (In that she's learning about a member of her court) than, say, a quest about learning to be a chef?

As I understood rewards, they're based on your current position in the arc rather than your arc trait. For instance, even if you're on storyteller 0, if you finish the fourth quest, you pick a reward from that menu. If you're getting a reward from a quest off that arc, would you just pick based on the arc quest you're currently on, or are the quest rewards you're talking about, like, in the context of quest miracles from that section of the book, rather than the arc quest perks?

Some quests are tied to the Arc and some aren't, but there's also an XP target to complete your Arc that the HG sets after getting an idea of exactly how quickly the group is picking up XP. Sidequests still count towards that target.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doc Aquatic
Jul 30, 2003

Current holder of the Plush-bum Mr. Sweets Chair in American Hobology
Does that also include XP for the basic quest? Like, does all XP gained for all quests go towards completing an arc? I already had a feeling that it would be rare to get past the third quest on an arc, since the default arc length is 100 and it seems like a lot of the quests are 35. If every XP earned goes towards finishing an arc, it feels like a lot of arcs will hit 100 XP around the middle of the second quest, if the PCs have more than one thing going on.

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

Me and the boys poppin' down to the shops
I kinda want to ask about the Accursed, in that basically I want to know if it's possible to have an accursed get their life together short of getting off the arc. The Accursed tier 5 thing feels like it needs some kind of "you have a moment of perfect wonder" event, as it is, because at present the way the accursed is set up seems like a repeating cycle of their tragedy that gets gradually worse and worse and harder for them to deal with without their sanctuary, and then at the end they're just stuck there, which doesn't seem to track with stuff elsewhere in the book like answers to the bleak or what's beyond the outside.

Jenna Moran
Jun 6, 2013

It's nothing to someone with naturally curly hair, like myself.
After Accursed 2 things mostly get slightly easier, really---yes, Falling From the World gets stronger, but it's also pretty hard to interrupt in the first place. Unless you or someone that can stop it has a suitable Bond, in which case it probably keeps pace with Arc increases. Conversely, as the Arc rises, you have more MP at story start, and at Arc 5, potentially more MP when leaving the sanctuary, and WBH gets cheaper and more effective. It helps.

The theoretically correct way to completely recover from Accursed is to start a new PC and say "they are my old PC, no longer Accursed."

The theoretically correct way to mostly recover from Accursed is to switch to a Frantic Arc and throw yourself into trouble, an Immortal Arc and never take wounds, and either way WBH anything you think is likely to give you a Sickness.

A less correct method includes taking a Power Up Perk to power up Damaged, replacing "MP" in its text with "password," so that you no longer have to recover one password at the beginning of each chapter like ordinary people do, but you forget one password every time you take a wound.

... possibly combined with one of those Affliction-rewriting quest rewards to change Falling From the World. ^_^

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

Me and the boys poppin' down to the shops
Thanks! That's a helpful summary. I guess the thing to take then is that a leave from being The Accursed is always a self-directed thing, there's no "natural trajectory" out?

Doodmons
Jan 17, 2009
Out of interest, is there a recommended place to start with Chuubo's? Something equivalent to an introductory adventure, or a quickstart or something. I think I get what Chuubo's is about, but not to the level where I'd be confident explaining it to half a dozen people who've never heard of it. Glass-Maker's Dragon is incredibly cool but trying to run that from the off looks like it may be jumping in at the deep end, as it were. Is there a 'Chuubo's-with-training-wheels' setup for people who want to dip their toes in the shallow end?

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

Doodmons posted:

Out of interest, is there a recommended place to start with Chuubo's? Something equivalent to an introductory adventure, or a quickstart or something. I think I get what Chuubo's is about, but not to the level where I'd be confident explaining it to half a dozen people who've never heard of it. Glass-Maker's Dragon is incredibly cool but trying to run that from the off looks like it may be jumping in at the deep end, as it were. Is there a 'Chuubo's-with-training-wheels' setup for people who want to dip their toes in the shallow end?

The Halloween Special isn't a bad choice, being a very short mortal-level campaign.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

I'm considering doing an upcoming game of Chuubo's, but I'm having some trouble. I'm still at the throwing around ideas stage, but one of those ideas is setting a game at least partially before the End and Town.

So, that said, how would I incorporate the Konami Thunder Dance into a character's arc?

Pocky In My Pocket
Jan 27, 2005

Giant robots shouldn't fight!

Eh, the latest patch isn't that great

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.
Rewatching Ed, Edd, and Eddy really gives me Chuubo's vibes, for some reason. I was just rewatching the episode where they got lost in flashbacks literally and my mind couldn't help but flash to Chuubos. Really wish I could get people down to play this crazy game.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.
Is there a thriving (or alive) Chuubos community anywhere?

some FUCKING LIAR
Sep 19, 2002

Fallen Rib

Covok posted:

Is there a thriving (or alive) Chuubos community anywhere?

The rpg.net Chuubo's thread seems pretty healthy: https://forum.rpg.net/showthread.php?728632-Chuubo-s-Thread-5-quot-Fortitude-PDF-Now-on-Sale!

Covok
May 27, 2013

Aw yeah, motherfucker! Coming through on me!

In other words, thank you for helping me.

some FUCKING LIAR
Sep 19, 2002

Fallen Rib

Covok posted:

Aw yeah, motherfucker! Coming through on me!

In other words, thank you for helping me.

You're welcome. One day I'm gonna get into Chuubo's; the 550 page manual is a bit daunting.

Covok
May 27, 2013

some loving LIAR posted:

You're welcome. One day I'm gonna get into Chuubo's; the 550 page manual is a bit daunting.

While it is certainly visually intimidating...

The basic rules are pretty simple and straight forward. This is how I'd summarize my experience:

Y'all kind of just do your RP till you hit a XP action. Then, you kind of let that person fade into the background, often ending the scene on it, and just moving ahead by the proper amount of time.

Frankly, from the HG end, that was all I needed to do.

hyphz
Aug 5, 2003

Number 1 Nerd Tear Farmer 2022.

Keep it up, champ.

Also you're a skeleton warrior now. Kree.
Unlockable Ben
Yea, the rules are tiny. 90% of the book is Quests and Arcs.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

We finally finished the layout stage of Glass-Maker's Dragon and are ready to move on to print proofs.

Kestral
Nov 24, 2000

Forum Veteran
Yesssss. The circle will be complete, and another gorgeous book will enter the world.

Out of curiosity, how many playtest groups have gone through GMD that you're aware of? Any interesting results?

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

After a million years of waiting, you can now buy the digital version of The Glass-Maker's Dragon on DriveThru.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kestral
Nov 24, 2000

Forum Veteran
Yep, confirmed gorgeous book. Haven't had a chance to dig into the text yet, but the art is on average the best yet, and portraits in the playbooks are particularly delightful. The layout seems to have improved too.

Also, Nightmare's Angel's nightmare devices are amazing, and the First Free Dog is a very good dog.

• Locked thread