Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Gibbo
Sep 13, 2008

"yes James. Remove that from my presence. It... Offends me" *sips overpriced wine*
Friend turned me on to this a couple days ago.

I haven't watched that much anime in one sitting since I was a 16. I'm 28 now.

Although I did miss where the name Benisuzume came from. Is that a manga thing they forgot to explain, or did I doze off and miss something at one point?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Gibbo posted:

Friend turned me on to this a couple days ago.

I haven't watched that much anime in one sitting since I was a 16. I'm 28 now.

Although I did miss where the name Benisuzume came from. Is that a manga thing they forgot to explain, or did I doze off and miss something at one point?

It means 'crimson hawk moth', I believe. Just an operating name for a fast, agile, and very red Gauna.

Dr_Amazing
Apr 15, 2006

It's a long story
I was having trouble with Netflix subtitles and watched the second half in English. 'Crimson hawk moth' is such a mouthful when they're saying it every 10 seconds.

Fish Noise
Jul 25, 2012

IT'S ME, BURROWS!

IT WAS ME ALL ALONG, BURROWS!

LegoMan posted:

One thing I kind of say "duh" to myself about the captain's mask being A way to hide that she's been the same person forever. I just assumed it was some kind of cool way of making the captain look totally emotionless during stressful situations so's not to affect the crew.
You weren't wrong. It can be both things!

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013
I finished the first season yesterday. I'm really enjoying it though I just cant see the story going anywhere yet.
The story is pretty bleak, I like it.

Mango Polo
Aug 4, 2007
Catching up on season 2. I didn't expect the squeaky, rubbery sounds, but it works.

Avulsion
Feb 12, 2006
I never knew what hit me
She's basically a big balloon animal.

Daler Mehndi
Apr 10, 2005

Tunak Tunak Tun!

Mango Polo posted:

I didn't expect the squeaky, rubbery sounds
Neither did Tanikaze. :quagmire:

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Ok I liked season 1 well enough, but now i'm halfway through season 2 and I think the anime levels have gotten too much for me. The next episode description says that the horrific tentacle abomination becomes jealous over the protagonist moving in with the genderless love interest. I instantly lost all interest to keep watching. I get that it's probably supposed to be, uh, subversive, is that the right word? I mean that sentence I just typed is pretty ludicrous. But it actually feels shoehorned to me instead. I like the sci-fi concepts, and the gauna are really bizarre in a good way, and the background intrigue has got me interested. But are those things going to be worth powering through the lame romance drama and formulaic anime slapstick? I don't think I can stomach another scene where the protagonist sees some tits and gets his face pounded in.

I'm totally OK with just accepting that this isn't the show for me.

Fister Roboto fucked around with this message at 08:07 on Aug 11, 2015

Gibbo
Sep 13, 2008

"yes James. Remove that from my presence. It... Offends me" *sips overpriced wine*

Fister Roboto posted:

Ok I liked season 1 well enough, but now i'm halfway through season 2 and I think the anime levels have gotten too much for me. The next episode description says that the horrific tentacle abomination becomes jealous over the protagonist moving in with the genderless love interest. I instantly lost all interest to keep watching. I get that it's probably supposed to be, uh, subversive, is that the right word? I mean that sentence I just typed is pretty ludicrous. But it actually feels shoehorned to me instead. I like the sci-fi concepts, and the gauna are really bizarre in a good way, and the background intrigue has got me interested. But are those things going to be worth powering through the lame romance drama and formulaic anime slapstick? I don't think I can stomach another scene where the protagonist sees some tits and gets his face pounded in.

So you slogged through a show with form fitting body suits, death violence for comedy, multiple "walked into the wrong changeroom scenes", and a giant living death machine that has a talking dolphin penis appendage with no point but to make it "cuter", but one "stereotypical anime episode" preview throws you off?

You might need to reconsider your interests.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Yeah, that's what I'm in the process of doing.

Avulsion
Feb 12, 2006
I never knew what hit me

Fister Roboto posted:

There's a couple of slice of life episodes in a row that vary in quality. However there are a few decent but short robot scenes mixed in, as well as a couple of HOLY poo poo moments where stuff explodes in an extremely satisfying manner, followed by another slice of life episode and then a final battle that is three and a half episodes of non-stop robot violence. There's like three hours of content left in the series and half of it is action sequences.

vvvv Don't be a dick.

Avulsion fucked around with this message at 08:34 on Aug 11, 2015

Gibbo
Sep 13, 2008

Fister Roboto posted:

Yeah, that's what I'm in the process of doing.

I actually meant your interest in anime as a whole, not just this one. That's a strange line to draw.

Gibbo fucked around with this message at 08:40 on Aug 11, 2015

Daler Mehndi
Apr 10, 2005

Tunak Tunak Tun!
I'm sorry you can't handle the giant death dealing hybrid abomination blushing at the thought of holding hands with :swoon: Tanikaze-san :swoon:

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Daler Mehndi posted:

I'm sorry you can't handle the giant death dealing hybrid abomination blushing at the thought of holding hands with :swoon: Tanikaze-san :swoon:

The idea of it was funny to begin with, but it started falling flat for me pretty quickly.

Pyradox
Oct 23, 2012

...some kind of monster, I think.

Yeah, the romantic subplot in this show is something that really drags it down.

I do love looking at what a slice of life in Sidonia actually is, I just wish I didn't have to see it through the lens of Tanikaze's boring dates.

I can forgive a lot of dumb stuff for an interesting sci-fi universe, but the romance subplot just has nothing going for it.

I would recommend powering through it overall, but I can't tell you the romance ever becomes worth watching.

Razzled
Feb 3, 2011

MY HARLEY IS COOL
Blitzed through 2 seasons of this last week. This show is great. I'm glad I gave it another shot after the initial episode kinda put me off half way for a couple months. Couldn't jive with the animation at first but then got used to it.

Is it heretical for me to say that this show is a better Evangelion? Maybe I didn't really understand Evangelion for what made it so universally acclaimed/beloved but to me KoS took everything about it and made it better.

If I wanted to start reading where should I pick up having watched all the anime?

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

Razzled posted:

Blitzed through 2 seasons of this last week. This show is great. I'm glad I gave it another shot after the initial episode kinda put me off half way for a couple months. Couldn't jive with the animation at first but then got used to it.

Is it heretical for me to say that this show is a better Evangelion? Maybe I didn't really understand Evangelion for what made it so universally acclaimed/beloved but to me KoS took everything about it and made it better.

If I wanted to start reading where should I pick up having watched all the anime?

The two shows don't really have much in common besides "teenagers use robots to fight incomprehensible alien monstrosities". Eva is a show about psychology(particularly depression and self-loathing) wrapped up in a blanket of bullshit nonsensical religious symbolism and giant robots while Knights of Sidonia is much more of a straight "humans fight aliens" show.

Eva is universally known mostly because it was one of the first shows with mass appeal to tackle the subject material that it did.

Dr_Amazing
Apr 15, 2006

It's a long story

Razzled posted:

Evangelion is extremely overrated so yeah I guess so.

Chalupa Picada
Jan 13, 2009

Dr_Amazing posted:

Evangelion is extremely overrated so yeah I guess so.

phew i thought i was the only sane person in this subforum

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.

Razzled posted:

It's not heretical, but if I can ask: what did you think Evangelion was about, and how do you feel Sidonia made it better?

otterley
Jul 11, 2008

Fister Roboto posted:

My tipping point was in the episode where genderless love interest and gramma go for a girls' night out in those loving needlessly complicated fetish clothes. Talk about filler fanservice, Jesus. You've got a good series going so why not tone down all the harem bullshit.

Gyra_Solune
Apr 24, 2014

Kyun kyun
Kyun kyun
Watashi no kare wa louse
i feel like that's part of the show's weird charm

like you've got this setting where it's implied the entirety of humanity is stuffed onto this old rusted spaceship on the run from horrible abominations that seem to be able to do literally anything to murder as many people as possible, and during this our heroes are engaged in LOL WACKY HAREM ANTICS, it makes for a really...i don't know how to put it, but it's a bizarre contrast that I like

that said

those space dresses were fabulous and i question your fashion sense if you wouldn't wear them because they're probably some of my favorite clothes i've seen in anything ever

Koopa Kid
Aug 21, 2007

Evangelion on a surface level has transhumanist imagery, from a catastrophe making Earth less than habitable overall to cloning, mind/body implantation, alien/human hybridization and simulated nervous systems.

Eva was also basically a harem for Shinji, though executed way better than Tanikaze's various interests.

There's oddly prominent cross imagery in Sidonia with the launch area as well. Sorties lean heavily on lances being ultimate weapons in the first part of the series, mirroring the later parts of Eva.

Ochiai's entire plan of becoming an avatar of humanity inside of a godlike super being of his own creation is identical to SEELE's supposed plan for the Eva series.

I can see a lot of surface similarities or intertextuality between the series, yeah, but Sidonia doesn't have the teen angst/growing up focus that is literally the whole point of Eva. Sidonia is about learning what it means to be human in a different context. Though both Tanikaze and Shinji have rejected transhumanism the reasons and what that means are different.

Ranzear
Jul 25, 2013

otterley posted:

My tipping point was in the episode where genderless love interest and gramma go for a girls' night out in those loving needlessly complicated fetish clothes. Talk about filler fanservice, Jesus. You've got a good series going so why not tone down all the harem bullshit.

I think it was more of an "OMG This will totally fit you now!" spur-of-the-moment decision. Remember that Yure is an immortal and probably lacks for real friends, and then the little interaction later implies that the white dress was the captain's and her responsibilities are why Yure doesn't get to have that kind of fun anymore, not that she grew out of it. I think Yure just also never got to dote on Izana until then.

Yeah, a bit of fanservice, but you get to see that not all immortals are stodgy utilitarians like the captain, and neither even was the captain at some point. I saw worse outfits in that closet.

Vahtooch
Sep 18, 2009

What is this [S T A N D] going to do? Once its crossed through the barrier, what's it going to do? When it comes in here, and reads my [P O S T S], what's it going to do to me?
So if I want to get into the manga, where did the anime finish up? Or what would be a good starting point?

Avulsion
Feb 12, 2006
I never knew what hit me

Vahtooch posted:

So if I want to get into the manga, where did the anime finish up? Or what would be a good starting point?

Start with the first chapter. It's worth reading for the art alone.

dongsweep
Nov 28, 2004

~ P * R * I * D * E ~
I am about halfway through season 1 and I cannot help but ask is the story of why there is a human bear like creature on board ever explained? I am loving the show, otherwise.

Read
Dec 21, 2010

dongsweep posted:

I am about halfway through season 1 and I cannot help but ask is the story of why there is a human bear like creature on board ever explained? I am loving the show, otherwise.

There's an explanation in the manga, it's a life support suit she wears over her human body, but basically the author just likes bears.

Read fucked around with this message at 02:44 on Feb 17, 2016

dongsweep
Nov 28, 2004

~ P * R * I * D * E ~
Thanks! Sorry for resurrecting what looks like a dead thread based on the dates, I only got as far in the comments as I was in the show and didn't keep on going in fear of reading something I would regret.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

dongsweep posted:

After a certain point I just accepted that there was a bear.

Read posted:

There's an explanation in the manga, it's a life support suit she wears over her human body, but basically the author just likes bears.
:psyduck: I like my interpretation better.

Is there any word on when or if the anime will continue to the next season?

• Locked thread