Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
LappyDore64
Jun 16, 2013

by XyloJW
Guys, I wanna know, what's the best food to feed your faeries?

PetCo stopped selling food for them a while back, and I haven't been able to find a decent replacement just yet.

I've been getting by on giving them a saucer of milk a day, but the Faery King's been getting kinda pushy about something more lately and I'm reaching the end of my rope.

Any goons got any good advice? I wouldn't be here if it wasn't my last hope, honestly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drunk Driver Dad
Feb 18, 2005
angel dust, seeing as i'm pretty sure you already have some

LappyDore64
Jun 16, 2013

by XyloJW
Where exactly do you think angel dust comes from?

Drunk Driver Dad
Feb 18, 2005
But really, as far as what food they like, maybe ask 3 Olives what he likes to eat

LappyDore64
Jun 16, 2013

by XyloJW
It's a pretty short drive (for this town at least) if I am remembering correctly, but I don't wanna drive down this time of night to find out.

nunsexmonkrock
Apr 13, 2008
If driving or internet ordering isn't an option, you may have to make your own.

This Fairy Food Recipe works wonders for the wild faries that my neighbor feeds. You may want to consult with GWS to see if there is a better recipe.

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

A contract signed by a minor is not binding!
feed your fairies a diet of iron filings and holy water. post pics of the result.

Pyramid Scheme
May 21, 2007

If you lived in Australia, you could feed them fairy bread.

MrSlam
Apr 25, 2014

And there you sat, eating hamburgers while the world cried.
Try mojitos. And if that doesn't work, set out a Cosmopolitan.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie
What's the goon consensus on faerie mills and de-clawing your faerie?

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

I find nectar and sugar-water work a treat. The only problem is your local hummingbirds might get territorial, so watch out for them.

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

Fairies ground in a mill produce faerie dust at a better rate than hand ground ones. Declawing is only an issue if you're concerned about selling rather than slaughter.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

thatbastardken posted:

Fairies ground in a mill produce faerie dust at a better rate than hand ground ones. Declawing is only an issue if you're concerned about selling rather than slaughter.

Ugh, why even disbud and declaw? If your slaughtering for veal fairies, it's gonna be before their skulls seal and major horn growth. Anyone who feels the need to de-poke their fairies due to interflock injuries is keeping them in overcrowded conditions with poor flock management. It is a waste of time, and stresses the farie out, making it harder for them to make weight. And if you do it because you can't take a few nibbles, wear your gauntlets and eye pro like your supposed to.

I also don't advocate keeping them as pets. Farm the domestic variety or enjoy them wild, but a faire dies not belong in a home environment.

MrSlam
Apr 25, 2014

And there you sat, eating hamburgers while the world cried.

thatbastardken posted:

Fairies ground in a mill produce faerie dust at a better rate than hand ground ones.

What are the health-risks of faerie bonemeal? It seems to be a common practice but I don't want my stock getting mad-wee-folk-of-the-forest disease.

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

Nothing proven by proper druidic studies, but plenty of anecdotal evidence that suggests it can cause bogartism or even outbreaks of redcap. Honestly I wouldn't risk it, commercial feed may not be the healthiest but it's got better quality control than homegrown. Use the dust for the industrial purposes it's good at, the meal can go for plant fertilizer if you don't want to waste it.

Inkspot
Dec 3, 2013

I believe I have
an appointment.
Mr. Goongala?
Remember that teeth are a treat, not a meal.

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

As an ordained wiccan minister I can safely say that you can feed faeries/fairies honey, milk, bread, and fruit. I am an expert in this.

Writer Cath
Apr 1, 2007

Box. Flipped.
Plaster Town Cop

Fluffy Bunnies posted:

As an ordained wiccan minister I can safely say that you can feed faeries/fairies honey, milk, bread, and fruit. I am an expert in this.

Do they use your horsedogs for riding on occasion?

Edit: I'm also told faeiries enjoy really shiny things, so maybe leave a bowl out for mental stimulation. Just not money.

Writer Cath fucked around with this message at 03:54 on Apr 28, 2014

TunaSpleen
Jan 27, 2007

How do I say, "You're the grossest thing ever" without offending you?
Grimey Drawer
So, uh, the colony of Children of Nyarlathotep at my daycare (thanks again, DicktheCat!) are reaching maturity far faster than I'd hoped (probably some space-time bending magick shenanigans) and pinky mice aren't cutting it anymore. They want sentient souls but they're so tiny that faeries might do the trick. Is there a good faerie-catcher product I can set next to the hummingbird feeder? I want to feed them a raw diet because I just don't know if ground faerie contains a high enough percentage of soul fragments.

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

Writer Cath posted:

Do they use your horsedogs for riding on occasion?

Edit: I'm also told faeiries enjoy really shiny things, so maybe leave a bowl out for mental stimulation. Just not money.

They do not use the horsedogs. Those would be far too large. Even the smallest dog is too large for them.

Fairies enjoy shiny things but they prefer bits of gemstone if you can get it.

TunaSpleen posted:

So, uh, the colony of Children of Nyarlathotep at my daycare (thanks again, DicktheCat!) are reaching maturity far faster than I'd hoped (probably some space-time bending magick shenanigans) and pinky mice aren't cutting it anymore. They want sentient souls but they're so tiny that faeries might do the trick. Is there a good faerie-catcher product I can set next to the hummingbird feeder? I want to feed them a raw diet because I just don't know if ground faerie contains a high enough percentage of soul fragments.

You really probably shouldn't do this. The fairy queens will ignore a few dozen deaths but after that you're looking at trouble.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

Fluffy Bunnies posted:

You really probably shouldn't do this. The fairy queens will ignore a few dozen deaths but after that you're looking at trouble.

That, and wild caught can carry a lot of funky diseases. Where do you live? I have some undersize culls I could overnight you. Anywhere in the US except Louisiana.

Araenna
Dec 27, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
I can't believe that people still keep fairies as housepets. Not only is it cruel, it's just asking for trouble. I know someone whose cat got at the fairie once. They now have frogs fall out of their mouth every time they speak, because oh, guess what, her mother was the fairie queen. It's just not worth it!

Bone
Feb 15, 2007

We're boned.
Last I heard you could get your fairies to do just about anything if you give them some pizza.

Serella
Apr 24, 2008

Is that what you're posting?

LITERALLY A BIRD posted:

I find nectar and sugar-water work a treat. The only problem is your local hummingbirds might get territorial, so watch out for them.

Ugh, you're obviously a fairy fighter. The only people who feed sugar water are purposely trying to attract hummingbirds. Find some other way to supplement your income, you beast.

OP, ambrosia is the best fairy food out there. It's keeps their wings strong and helps them produce quality magic. I'm surprised your breeder didn't tell you that... Where did you say you got them? I hope you didn't just buy them at a Familiar Store. The minions that work at those places don't know anything about magical creatures. Last time I was in there to pick up unicorn hoof wax, I saw them keeping chimaeras in the tiniest aquarium I've ever seen.

MinionOfCthulhu
Oct 28, 2005

I got this title for free due to my proximity to an idiot who wanted to save $5 on an avatar by having someone else spend $9.95 instead.

LappyDore64 posted:

Guys, I wanna know, what's the best food to feed your faeries?

PetCo stopped selling food for them a while back, and I haven't been able to find a decent replacement just yet.

I've been getting by on giving them a saucer of milk a day, but the Faery King's been getting kinda pushy about something more lately and I'm reaching the end of my rope.

Any goons got any good advice? I wouldn't be here if it wasn't my last hope, honestly.

It's simple. First, you're going to want to go to this site. Find the type of fae you have. Look in the Ecology section, and it should give you information about their diet, as well as any useful material components that you can glean from their corpses. Good luck!

loki k zen
Nov 12, 2011

Keep close the words of Syadasti: 'TIS AN ILL WIND THAT BLOWS NO MINDS. And remember that there is no tyranny in the State of Confusion. For further information, consult your pineal gland.

TunaSpleen posted:

This is stupid. Fae don't have souls.

The only proper diet for faeries is naughty human children, and if you don't feed it to them they will just hunt their own.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chido
Dec 7, 2003

Butterflies fluttering on my face!

Faeries are annoying. My chickens regularly kill and eat them and it's a pain to clean up tiny fairy body parts.

• Locked thread