Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
emfive
Aug 6, 2011

Hey emfive, this is Alec. I am glad you like the mummy eating the bowl of shitty pasta with a can of 'parm.' I made that image for you way back when. I’m glad you enjoy it.
I'll be in London for a couple weeks in June with my family. My wife and one of my 3 kids and I are serious dweebs and we'd be totally happy spending time in museums and old churches every second of every day. The other two kids are normal unfortunately. They're both musicians and really like music (and I do too; my wife is mostly into classical music).

Austin TX has a lot of popular music venues that are kid-friendly, and we go to shows all the time. They're not "kiddie" places, for those who haven't been here; a lot of them are awful dives filled with drunken bikers etc, but they're totally OK with under-18 audience members. They mark a big black X on their hands and that's that. (Maybe that's pretty common everywhere now; I went through about 2.5 decades not seeing live popular music before my kids got me back into it.)

What's the story in London? I've been trying to figure it out by finding clubs via Google and TimeOut etc but I either get no explicit information or else they're explicitly 18+.

Thanks!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

It's not something I've had to think about whenever I'm in London, but I know here in Cardiff a lot of bands that have a teenage audience will do 14+ shows. The flyers or the event info should note this though. I guess it depends on what kind of music they're into, it's probably less common amongst indie bands than it is for pop punk bands or whatever the kids listen to these days.

emfive
Aug 6, 2011

Hey emfive, this is Alec. I am glad you like the mummy eating the bowl of shitty pasta with a can of 'parm.' I made that image for you way back when. I’m glad you enjoy it.
OK. Hmm. Well I'm not going to plan anything anyway, I was just curious. I'll keep an eye out on the web and etc. when we get there.

Thanks.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
I can't comment with 100% certainty about London, but in my experience in Europe there was never a problem getting into most music venues, even ones that served alcohol. Usually you'd just got carded when trying to buy booze. The only exception might be some night/strip clubs, though I've managed to fake and bribe my way into a few of those too. Not in London, admittedly.

emfive
Aug 6, 2011

Yea that's what my dim hazy memories of Europe tell me too, mostly from travel back in the '80s.

kecske
Feb 28, 2011

it's round, like always

The 02 Academy venues have a pretty varied music calendar and will admit anyone 14+ unaccompanied and 8+ with a guardian. There's one in Islington and one in Brixton within London.

Also worth checking out are the Shepherd's Bush Empire and Kentish Town Forum (and maybe the Highbury Garage).

Generally speaking, proper music venues will admit accompanied kids while pubs and bars with a performance space won't.

kecske fucked around with this message at 18:42 on Apr 29, 2014

emfive
Aug 6, 2011

vuohiliitto posted:

The 02 Academy venues have a pretty varied music calendar and will admit anyone 14+ unaccompanied and 8+ with a guardian. There's one in Islington and one in Brixton within London.

Also worth checking out are the Shepherd's Bush Empire and Kentish Town Forum (and maybe the Highbury Garage).

Generally speaking, proper music venues will admit accompanied kids while pubs and bars with a performance space won't.

OK, thanks very much.

Dugong
Mar 18, 2013

I don't know what to do,
I'm going to lose my mind

Most events will say on the booking pages/ flyers the age limit. For the bigger venues there may be a separate age for the standing area. I've never seen anyone IDed for an under 18 event though. O2 arenas/academies should be good. Also worth looking at are KOKO, Scala, XOYO, Roundhouse and Alexandra Palace.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

emfive
Aug 6, 2011

Well KOKO is what made me ask the question in the first place. The website says it's generally 18+ unless an event announcement says otherwise.

• Locked thread