Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I really liked the sense of wonder UF4 had at the beginning but by #7 I had pretty much checked out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

Ultimate Doom was terrible. Was he the first misstep in the Ultimate line, or was Ultimate X-Men already loving up?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Open Marriage Night posted:

Ultimate Doom was terrible. Was he the first misstep in the Ultimate line, or was Ultimate X-Men already loving up?

UXM was good for a solid 12 issues, maybe 18. I haven't read that stuff in years so it's fuzzy but the third arc wasn't the worst thing ever.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

I didn't mind Bendis' Ultimate X-Men. I doubt I'd like it now, but he could do no wrong to me at the time.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

I didn't mind Bendis' Ultimate X-Men. I doubt I'd like it now, but he could do no wrong to me at the time.

Wasn't UXM a Mark Millar joint? Bendis wrote like one arc in year 4 or so?

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Rhyno posted:

Wasn't UXM a Mark Millar joint? Bendis wrote like one arc in year 4 or so?

Mark Millar wrote UXM at the the start and for a good chunk, I don't think that book really went downhill until Kirkman started writing it, and I didn't even hate his stuff that much at the start of the run. Brian K. Vaughn wrote it for a bit and even Chuck loving Austen had a pretty good issue.

Ultimatum and Jeph Loeb on Ultimates 3 was when the line started really turning to dog poo poo. There's still some gems in the later stuff Hickman's Ultimates was amazing, (if sadly cut short because they realized Hickman was too good a writer to have on a book nobody read), pretty much anything written by Warren Ellis, that weird poo poo written by Fiarkov (sp?), Ultimate Spider-Ham.

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

X-O posted:

Ultimate Clone Saga is just fine. It's pretty good actually. You should read Ultimate Spider-Man all the way until the end. There's only two or at most three subpar arcs in 160+ issues.

It isn't terrible, but it is the point where the comic starts screwing up. And as much as I liked the idea of the super friends nothing ever really comes of it.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

Ultimate X-Men didn't really gently caress up until Ultimatum.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

ultimate x-men was bad from the word go

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
Ultimate Doom was fine in concept and such but all Dooms pale in comparison to the 616 Dr. Doom. He was Rabam Alal and God after all.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Manatee Cannon posted:

ultimate x-men was bad from the word go

The Weapon X arc was nearly flawless. A Shane Kubert couldn't keep on schedule.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Is it safe to say that I thought Millar's Ultimate Fantastic Four was a good time? Despite Greg Land's art, he did some fun stuff. I still fondly remember the excitement for Crossover, and laughing my rear end off at the twist.

It's one of the few Millar written things I love. And yes despite the Greg Land art. But really Millar doing Fantastic Four, either Ultimate or 616, is probably my favorite stuff of his that I've read. It has almost none of his trademark dumb stuff in it.

Tato
Jun 19, 2001

DIRECTIVE 236: Promote pro-social values
Spider-Man 2099 wrapped up today and the ending was not at all what I expected. The pieces were there to give Miguel a happy little ending since he's likely being tucked away in the continuity shoebox again for a while, but PAD went a different route with it. It's not a twist for twist's sake though, it's true to the characters and the story he set up, plus it leaves room to continue later if something like Defenders 2100 actually happens.

All in all, it was a fun title and got nearly as many issues as the first volume in the '90s. Not essential reading by any means, but worth reading through on Unlimited someday if you have any affinity for the character.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Glad to hear it lands well. I'm reading it on Unlimited so I'm behind but it's been a consistently good series. Nothing to go recommending as a must read but if you like Miguel it's a good time.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Spoil it for the rest of us?

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition

Synthbuttrange posted:

Spoil it for the rest of us?

Miguel time-travels to meet with his girlfriend, Tempest, and their adult son, and learns from them that their son never met him. He figures that means that when he goes back to 2017 to rescue Tempest, he'll succeed but die in the attempt. Their son provides Miguel with the needed information on the basis that they need to avoid a paradox.

Miguel successfully fights his way to Tempest, but when he finds her, she's been cybernetically augmented. Her systems are hacked and she stabs Miguel through the chest.

He wakes up in Strange 2099's sanctum on New Year's Day, 2100, having successfully accomplished what he went back in time to do: his future city is intact. Strange saved Miguel's life and he stays in his original timeline.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Kiss the Joycon to Kiss Zelda

I read the first 2 issues of Peter Parker: Spectacular Spider-Man. It's good, and it's fun, but I dunno. I kind of like my Spidey books with more of a serious tone, and humour injected into it, if that makes sense. I suppose it's not a bad thing to differentiate the two Peter Parker Spidey books on the stands, though.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

irlZaphod posted:

I read the first 2 issues of Peter Parker: Spectacular Spider-Man. It's good, and it's fun, but I dunno. I kind of like my Spidey books with more of a serious tone, and humour injected into it, if that makes sense. I suppose it's not a bad thing to differentiate the two Peter Parker Spidey books on the stands, though.

Having different styles and tones is definitely better. Not like the old days when each title was simply another storyline that was somehow happening at the same time as the others.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

How are people feeling Scarlet Spider? I read this last issue with him and Kaine and I was entertained.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

TFRazorsaw posted:

How are people feeling Scarlet Spider? I read this last issue with him and Kaine and I was entertained.

The series should be from Kaine's perspective, because I haven't met a person yet who wants to read from "Monkey's paw revived Ben Reilly"'s POV at all. He's just dumb and evil.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Shinjobi posted:

The series should be from Kaine's perspective, because I haven't met a person yet who wants to read from "Monkey's paw revived Ben Reilly"'s POV at all. He's just dumb and evil.

I mean. Another writer basically left Ben in this state. I'm not sure what else he should be written as, and Kaine's perspective wouldn't really lend well towards a story where Ben changes or grows out of what Jackal turned him into. If the book were about Kaine it'd just be more Kaine, which is fine but I wanna see my boy Ben back and the only way to do that is to make something out of the mess Slott created somehow. David can't really just ignore it.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

TFRazorsaw posted:

I mean. Another writer basically left Ben in this state. I'm not sure what else he should be written as, and Kaine's perspective wouldn't really lend well towards a story where Ben changes or grows out of what Jackal turned him into. If the book were about Kaine it'd just be more Kaine, which is fine but I wanna see my boy Ben back and the only way to do that is to make something out of the mess Slott created somehow. David can't really just ignore it.

Yeah, but this is explictly a clone of Ben, though. Like, original Ben would probably be first in line to punch this guy in the face. Just like that clone Prowler wasn't actually Hobie.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
Why can't I just get all my Spider Bros and Baes hanging out kicking rear end.

Peter, Ben, Kaine, Miles, Jessica and Jessica just going about kicking rear end and being all awesome and poo poo with the Spider Multiverse.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

Did the two Jessica Drews meet in Spiderverse?

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Gatts posted:

Peter, Ben, Kaine, Miles, Jessica and Jessica just going about kicking rear end and being all awesome and poo poo with the Spider Multiverse.

With Uncle Melvin!

El Tortuga
Apr 27, 2007

¡Terrible es el Guerrero de Tortuga!
Speaking of Jessica, when the hell are we getting another Spider-Woman series? Although, after how amazing the last series was, it'll have a lot to live up to.

fake edit: I can't tell if it's good or bad that anything Secret Empire-related involving Spider Woman has yet to mention that she also has a baby to take care of while also helping defend New York from the dome full of darkness/demons. Of course, maybe that's where Roger, the best father-figure in Marvel, has been during all this.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

howe_sam posted:

Did the two Jessica Drews meet in Spiderverse?

She met an alternate version of herself that was a pirate, is there another one out there?

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

Rhyno posted:

She met an alternate version of herself that was a pirate, is there another one out there?

Yeah, Ultimate Jessica Drew, aka Pete's female clone.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Rhyno posted:

How do you not know Ultimate Jessica Drew?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Oh, that one. Eh, she's not actually Jessica and All New Ultimates was a dumpster fire so of course I forgot about her.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Rhyno posted:

Oh, that one. Eh, she's not actually Jessica and All New Ultimates was a dumpster fire so of course I forgot about her.

She was great in Ultimate Spider-Man whenever she showed up.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Skwirl posted:

She was great in Ultimate Spider-Man whenever she showed up.

That was like 90 years ago.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Gatts posted:

That's what Spider-Verse should have been, but Slott somehow managed to make it suck.

SirDrone
Jul 23, 2013

I am so sick of these star wars
It's a crime Italian Spider Man didn't make an appearance.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UhHhXukovMU

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy

SirDrone posted:

It's a crime Italian Spider Man didn't make an appearance.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UhHhXukovMU

Which is italianspiderman.gif? Is it the guy who finds the body?

• Locked thread