Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.
The rain last night turned the road into a slough with flash flood rivers crossing it at random points. Adventure being what you make of it, I'm happy to report that the x is very good even when it's up to it's engine casing in flowing water. My boots are kind of soggy, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

I have a little over 3500 miles on the distanzias, now, and they're starting to flatten a bit in the middle. Well, more than I would have expected. If I only get 7k or so out of them, it's still worth it, but i was hoping for a bit more life.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

Almost to 6K, and a rock puncture right in the center of the tread has destroyed my rear tire. It was at the wear bars anyway, so what are you going to do. The front tire still has a lot to go, though, so it's back to tire chat. I really liked the Distanzia, but I'm wondering if anyone has experienced some other tire over the summer that might do better. Like, for instance, the Pirelli MT60R.

Mr. Wiggles fucked around with this message at 22:37 on Sep 19, 2014

Wendigee
Jul 19, 2004

NC700X vs CB500X? Just bigger?

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

I looked at the 700 very seriously when I bought my 500, and I definitely got a more "street" vibe from it. Lots more plastic, more vulnerable engine areas, etc. Nice bike, though, and the engine is great. If I never went off road I might have gotten that one.

grunthaas
Mar 4, 2003

Mr. Wiggles posted:

Almost to 6K, and a rock puncture right in the center of the tread has destroyed my rear tire. It was at the wear bars anyway, so what are you going to do. The front tire still has a lot to go, though, so it's back to tire chat. I really liked the Distanzia, but I'm wondering if anyone has experienced some other tire over the summer that might do better. Like, for instance, the Pirelli MT60R.

Just had the same here, but with a screw instead. Did you go with another Distanza or something different?

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

grunthaas posted:

Just had the same here, but with a screw instead. Did you go with another Distanza or something different?

I ended up going with another Distanzia - the dirt grip is great, and so is the highway grip at 80 mph.

Haven't been riding as much lately, though, since there's been ice on the road in the mornings. Pretty soon I'm going to have to take the battery out of the bike and put some sta-bil in the tank for winter, I think. :(

grunthaas
Mar 4, 2003

I gave the Distanzias a go and they really are quite good. Havent done that much on them yet but theres definitely good grip on tarmac. Thanks for the recommendation :)

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

Not getting as many miles in the winter through the ice and low temperatures, but I just turned 7000 miles today. :feelsgood:

Snapshot
Oct 22, 2004

damnit Matt get in the boat

Mr. Wiggles posted:

Not getting as many miles in the winter through the ice and low temperatures, but I just turned 7000 miles today. :feelsgood:

You've done more than me in half the time. It's holding up well with all the dirt road riding? Mine's away for the winter, hopefully I'll get it back out in March, once the salt has been washed off the roads. :canada: I'm looking through upgrades right now, to keep customizing mine towards touring and camping. What hand guards did you end up getting?

Has anyone tried the Corbin Canyon Dual Sport Saddle? The seat was comfortable enough for ~650 km/day on the way to Brandon, MB last year, but I want to push it farther this year; maybe to St. John's, NL or Banff, AB, and any additional comfort would help.

Other than those upgrades, I'm getting a tall windshield and the top box that goes with my cases. Here's the current configuration for touring and camping. (last summer east of Nipigon, ON on the TCH)

Edit: Apparently previewing removes attachments.

Snapshot fucked around with this message at 15:44 on Jan 17, 2015

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

I love your gear setup. My next mod is going to be boxes, but I still can't find any hard boxes available that I like.

I never got any hand guards. I'm just toughing it through with cold weather gloves, etc.

It's holding up pretty good on the dirt. I've done the fork seals once - that's looking like it might be a once a year or a little more thing. No problems with the rear shock yet, but I'm waiting. I'm really glad I put the skidplate on, because I take A LOT of rock hits and I imagine that the plastic stock piece would have been destroyed by now. With the Avons I can even hoon down gravel roads at 50 mph + and feel pretty confident.

All in all I really like this bike. It's ended up being nearly the perfect combination of street agility and dirt ability that I wanted without some sort of ridiculous BMW pricetag. Plus it's super comfortable for a short guy like me.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

I never got the hard cases, but my wife bought me saddlebags for our anniversary and they seem to be big enough. Probably better to have a soft mount anyway so I don't develop stress cracks.

Otherwise the only problem lately is that my gas cap has developed an annoying buzz between 4 and 5k rpm, but whatever.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

After 13 months of dirt and rocks, we're at 10k. :feelsgood: Ewan and Charlie should have taken these across the world.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

Now at 16k, and it's time for the second valve check/third oil change. Also blew out a fork seal again.

Getting a lot of comments from people along the lines of "man, those are great little bikes". I suppose word is getting around.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe
Get some seal savers for your forks. they help.

Just saw this thread. awesome bike :3:

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

That's a good idea, thanks.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

Well, it's time to say goodbye to my Honda.

The last I rode it was in February, and I had just about 20K on it. I rode it nearly every day on highway and in the dirt, over hard washboard, rocks, gravel, and over streams and through muddy puddles. I changed the oil regularly, lubed the chain every 500 miles, and not once did she ever break down. A phenomenal bike in ever respect. But in February my now ex-wife had some dude take it out of the garage and lock it up somewhere, and it is now lost in the divorce.

Final thoughts:

- For dirt riding, the biggest improvement to be made is good tires. I settled on the Avon Distanzias, and went through several rears and a few fronts over the course of the bike. Great combination of highway/dirt ability.

- The bike would be better with a little more fork travel up front, and with a slightly softer tail, but otherwise the setup isn't actually too awful.

- I wish it had a little bit more on the highway. It's a little scary topping out in the 100mph range when traffic gets busy.

- Not the greatest bike for long distance travel due to it's bias towards lower speeds, but it may be the perfect commuter because it's so small, so fuel efficient, so easy to handle, and can jump curbs with no problem.

- Especially for the price and the reliability, this may be the best deal in bikes.

Goodnight, sweet prince.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GyiZFlHuPqg

VERTiG0
Jul 11, 2001

go move over bro
RIP.

Now you have an excuse for an Africa Twin or VFR1200X.

EduardoEspecial
Dec 12, 2011

Dangerously Dexterous Dongs
Sorry about your bike :(. They're great little bikes, I did an 8400 km road trip on mine last summer.

I took this somewhere along the north shore of Lake Superior.

grunthaas
Mar 4, 2003

Nice, which exhaust have you got on there?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EduardoEspecial
Dec 12, 2011

Dangerously Dexterous Dongs
It had a two brothers slip on that the previous owner put on. It sounded pretty decent, considering that the stock exhaust made it sound about as exciting as a sewing machine.

• Locked thread