Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
fuck. marry. t-rex
Jan 23, 2014

Lipstick Apathy
:bsdsnype:
valeyard

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

quote:

When you're at an Asian market, buy the vegetables that have a high turnover: green onions, watercress, cilantro, garlic, ginger, tons of different Chinese greens, etc. It'll be dirt cheap.
Seconding this, also tropical fruits will be cheaper and generally fresher/of better quality (because most chain produce managers don't know when an asian pear is even supposed to look like). Mangos, limes, taro, pineapple etc.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

for sale posted:

For snacks I would recommend the bags of tiny crabs covered in a sweet sesame glaze, or the bags of whole dried sardines. They're an overlooked snack, but they're both a great and crunchy source of protein and calcium.
Those are great. I got a small bag once as a gift and shared it with an adventurous friend. He looked at those whole sardines for a long time, finally popped a few in his mouth, chewed and swallowed very thoughtfully and said "I feel like the devil."

More for me :devil:

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Wasabi peas. Oh lord I love wasabi peas.

Also Poky Sticks.

I miss japan :(

Chip McFuck
Jul 24, 2007

We droppin' like a comet and this Vulcan tried to Spock it/These Martians tried to do it, but knew they couldn't cop it

Ramune soda is one of my guilty pleasures. It doesn't really taste much different than other sodas (to me, anyway) but the novelty of the marble in the bottle is just so fascinating to me.

Does anyone have any good recommendations for an asian grocer in Boston? I'm pretty new to the whole cooking asian food thing, but I'd love to try and cook with some more authentic ingredients than the stuff I can find in the tiny international foods section of my local grocery store.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Ramune sucks because the marble acts as a measured shot pourer and stops the liquid from pouring quickly more than one second at a time.

Stottie Kyek
Apr 26, 2008

fuckin egg in a bun

Phisty posted:

There's an Indian snack mix called chevda or something to that effect that is nuts, dried peas, and little turmeric-covered chickpea powder noodly things. Its a weird yellow colour that rubs off on your hands and makes them look gross but it's so good. I wish I knew where to get it around here.

It's called Bombay mix in the UK, supermarkets might sell it under that name.

mich
Feb 28, 2003
I may be racist but I'm the good kind of racist! You better put down those chopsticks, you HITLER!

Inspector 34 posted:

What are the best noodles to buy for making ramen? There are all kinds of noodles that look like they're approximately the right size/shape, but I haven't found anything that actually tastes or feels like the noodles you get at a decent ramen place. I don't know if they all prepare their noodles fresh or what makes them different, and I don't expect anything to really match up completely, but I just want something that actually tastes like I'm eating ramen instead of spaghetti (or whatever) in ramen broth.

I'm looking for types of noodles, brand names to look out for, noodle ingredients to watch for or avoid, really anything to step my ramen game up.

The brand you're looking for is Sun noodles, but I don't think they are that widely distributed. They come fresh. The difference from other noodles you are buying is that they are alkaline noodles which result in a more bouncy, springy texture. A distant second place choice would be some sort of Chinese egg noodle. There are Japanese dried noodles too but I've never tried those.

kinmik
Jul 17, 2011

Dog, what are you doing? Get away from there.
You don't even have thumbs.

Steve Yun posted:

Ramune sucks because the marble acts as a measured shot pourer and stops the liquid from pouring quickly more than one second at a time.
Ramune isn't meant to be chugged.

See those two small depressions toward the top? Those face you as you tip it toward your face hole and the marble gets caught between them. The soda's meant to leave the bottle in a small stream, so as to better it enjoy it in the summer. Or so my coworkers have told me. :shrug:

And in order to get the last remnants, you tongue the poo poo out of the opening, you filthy animal.

Riptor
Apr 13, 2003

here's to feelin' good all the time

Side Effects posted:

Does anyone have any good recommendations for an asian grocer in Boston? I'm pretty new to the whole cooking asian food thing, but I'd love to try and cook with some more authentic ingredients than the stuff I can find in the tiny international foods section of my local grocery store.

brand new H-Mart opened up in Cambridge a few months ago. Central Square. Its great

Reiterpallasch
Nov 3, 2010

Fun Shoe

mich posted:

The brand you're looking for is Sun noodles, but I don't think they are that widely distributed. They come fresh. The difference from other noodles you are buying is that they are alkaline noodles which result in a more bouncy, springy texture. A distant second place choice would be some sort of Chinese egg noodle. There are Japanese dried noodles too but I've never tried those.

God, even the 7-11s in Hawaii stock Sun Noodle...

mich
Feb 28, 2003
I may be racist but I'm the good kind of racist! You better put down those chopsticks, you HITLER!
Well they're based out of Hawaii, LA, and New York so obv are more available in those places. In addition to making just plain noodles to put in the ramen you make, they have refrigerated instant ramen packs with their noodles and concentrated broth packs so that's what those 7-11s are carrying.

Foam Monkey
Jun 4, 2007
Lurkzilla
Grimey Drawer
I went to an Asian market hungry yesterday, and I think I made a mistake. I bought this and I have no idea what to do with it now. It just looked good, and I figured I could Google what it was, and I was wrong. Could somebody please help me out? It's about the size of a pie tin all together.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!
Weird. I was raised on Asian food almost exclusively and grew up going to Asian markets, and I get this exact same feeling when I go to the local grocer or Safeway and browse the produce aisle -- I'm like ":confused: What ARE all these weird plants?? What do I even DO with Kale? Or turnips? Or chard?! :psyduck:"

Seriously speaking: buy a bottle of fish sauce (Nuoc mam). Pour a few dashes into stuff, like marinades and so on. Use it like Worcestershire sauce. It's a great flavor enhancer!

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

Foam Monkey posted:

I went to an Asian market hungry yesterday, and I think I made a mistake. I bought this and I have no idea what to do with it now. It just looked good, and I figured I could Google what it was, and I was wrong. Could somebody please help me out? It's about the size of a pie tin all together.

Looks Korean. Make this? Or hotpot?

quote:

Seriously speaking: buy a bottle of fish sauce (Nuoc mam). Pour a few dashes into stuff, like marinades and so on. Use it like Worcestershire sauce. It's a great flavor enhancer!
Just a warning: a little of this goes a LONG way. Also its like 150% of your recommended daily sodium intake per tablespoon or something ridiculous.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:
I got my cat addicted to pork floss. It's the new Greenies™ to him.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!

Oracle posted:

Looks Korean. Make this? Or hotpot?
Just a warning: a little of this goes a LONG way. Also its like 150% of your recommended daily sodium intake per tablespoon or something ridiculous.

Yeah this is true! It's strong stuff. Nobody would use an entire tablespoon of fish sauce, that's crazy!

EVG
Dec 17, 2005

If I Saw It, Here's How It Happened.

DrSunshine posted:

Yeah this is true! It's strong stuff. Nobody would use an entire tablespoon of fish sauce, that's crazy!

Yeah, I use like 1-2 tablespoons to season an entire pot of congee.

Mmm, can't wait until it's a bit colder to make congee again. :D

Myron Baloney
Mar 19, 2002

Emitting dimensions are swallowing you
Frozen ox penis. Nothing else, just slam a frozen ox penis down on the checkout conveyor.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR
Help, I panicked and bought a pound of dried bonito flakes, what can I do with them besides make a lot of dashi?

EDIT
HELP I MADE A TERRIBLE MISTAKE MY CAT HELP LOCKD IN BATHROOM WITH BONITO OH GOD THERES MORE CATS OUTSIDE

Suspect Bucket fucked around with this message at 20:43 on Sep 19, 2014

EVG
Dec 17, 2005

I was tempted to buy some furikake to put on rice like in MY MANGAS but there was like 10 different varieties and I couldn't decide and left without. Siiiigh.

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

why didnt you just buy all 10

EVG
Dec 17, 2005

Storage space :)

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR
Friends, I now have at my command a CAT ARMY. That's what you do with a pound of bonito flakes. Also, I'll be making this tomorrow.

http://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2011/06/bonito-flakes-black-sesame-yaki-onigiri-recipe.html

I also apparently scored like crazy on the price, only paying 15 bucks for the bag. Or online prices are insane.

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill
Get lotus root. Preferably fresh, the pre-sliced packaged stuff isn't as good.

Slaapaav
Mar 3, 2006

by Azathoth
get rice noodles

Fooley
Apr 25, 2006

Blue moon of Kentucky keep on shinin'...
Two of the biggest tubs of gochujang they have.

1secondpersecond
Nov 12, 2008

Steve Yun posted:

more than one second at a time.

Are you implying that you should get more than one second at a time?

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

1secondpersecond posted:

Are you implying that you should get more than one second at a time?

Smoke weed every day, get more day then you know what to do with.

granpa yum
Jul 15, 2004

Suspect Bucket posted:

Help, I panicked and bought a pound of dried bonito flakes, what can I do with them besides make a lot of dashi?

EDIT
HELP I MADE A TERRIBLE MISTAKE MY CAT HELP LOCKD IN BATHROOM WITH BONITO OH GOD THERES MORE CATS OUTSIDE

I top certain recipes with them, rice dishes/congee, some fried dishes like fried tofu.

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

Wait a minute why did you keep the bonito in your bathroom?

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.
I was picturing the cats going crazy for the bonito and Suspect Bucket reacting by hiding in the bathroom with the bonito.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

TychoCelchuuu posted:

I was picturing the cats going crazy for the bonito and Suspect Bucket reacting by hiding in the bathroom with the bonito.

I always imagine the bathroom to be the best spot to be trapped for a few hours. It's got water, the bath tub's not a bad place to sleep with some towels, and there's usually something to read. It's also where we keep the hurricane emergency kit.

I'll have hot eggy rice tomorrow and top it with bonito flakes. Pitty it smells a bit like a bad fish tank. I made some killer dashi stock with it, that's what kept me sane for a few days while the fall weather change brought it's usual sinus madness. Udon is awesome. I top it with a bit of sauteed green pepper, chopped dried chillis, onion, and rehydrated mushrooms in their stock. Add soy sauce and brown sugar to taste.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MAKE NO BABBYS
Jan 28, 2010
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=wFGCr9KsqUA

But yeah, correct answer is "all the things"

• Locked thread