Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Keetron
Sep 26, 2008

Check out my enormous testicles in my TFLC log!

A company is asking me to join them in either Frankfurt or Nuremberg, I myself am living in Amsterdam, The Netherlands at the moment and we would like to move to a more child-friendly place that is not costing an arm and a leg anyway.
This is an international company, so I will assume they will foot the relocation cost but the salary still needs to be negotiated. This is where I hope some Germany Goon can chime in.

First is the general cost of living in those cities / regions. What would be considered a good/great salary? I could not find the Germany median salary, but what are typical benefits that are included in a German employment contract?

Something else, we have a 3 month old and this is his first week in daycare. How does this work in Germany, can we get daycare for kids this age? Of course, this would be after my gf finds work in the area and this concerns her a bit as she says her German is holiday-German. I am confident she can be up to par for business in three months as she really has a knack for languages, for me it will be a bit longer. Anyway, how is the job market for IT projectmanagers in Germany? Or in general?

Finally housing, what would one pay in rent for a nice house with a garden and some commute? We are used to Amsterdam prices, but still do not want to over do it. We will rent out our house in Amsterdam, holding on to it is the best thing to do, all plans indicate a huge growth of the housing market in Amsterdam and the surrounding area. So it will be renting no matter what, no need to add mortgages to our name...

Looking forward to some thoughts.

Completely different, but when discussing this with a friend he asked why the hell Germany and not a nice place such as Canada, US, Australia or something? I responded that visa would be a pain, but he said I ought not to worry to much and just go for it.
Hell, I might as well look into it if I knew some job sites that are big over there. Any tips?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EgonSpengler
Jun 7, 2000
Forum Veteran
What's a good salary is hard to answer since it would depend on your field and experience.

German employment will include medical, where the rate gets calculated by your salary level, but you choose your insurance provider. If you earn past a certain amount, you can opt for a private provider.

Day-care is pretty comprehensive in Germany for even young babies, although the specifics vary by region. Costs are heavily subsidized, and you are also eligible for Kindergeld (which would be affected by any subsidy you continue to collect from your home country.)

I don't know rents for that region, but expect to also cough up 3 months rent for deposit, as well as many places listed also collect a 2.38x 1 months cold-rent as realtor commission which is money lost.

Total Confusion
Oct 9, 2004
Here is a handy salary calculator for determining what your take home will be in Germany:

http://www.parmentier.de/steuer/steuer.htm?wagetax.htm

peak debt
Mar 11, 2001
b& :(
Nap Ghost
The minimum wage is around 18k € a year, at which point people have to rely on welfare to get through the day. 30k is a decent wage at which you can start enjoying life while at 50k you can pretty much take care of everything a single person might reasonably need. Frankfurt is probably around 10% more expensive than Nuremberg.

To have a look at apartment prices you can use http://www.immobilienscout24.de/wohnen/

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
I was just in Nuremberg yesterday for work. It's not "butler motor" is it? Or some automotive related company?

Anyways, Nuremburg has a small town feel and if you want to save even more money you can live in the outskirts and drive to work.

I think it should be great for raising your child. Oh and will you be showing up in the mega goonstadam meet next week?

• Locked thread