Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Eau de MacGowan
May 12, 2009

BRASIL HEXA
2026 tá logo aí
I'm looking to emigrate to Canada, particularly BC or Alberta. What is the tax situation in Canada? I've found personal income tax rates for the province but is there anything further the government wants? A federal tax? Provincial healthcare contribution?

Secondly, what does the provincial healthcare actually cover? I'm self-employed so I'll be looking to get private insurance anyway, but what are the basics? If I get hit by a car or mauled by a bear, am I liable for 100%?

Thanks! :canada:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kidhash
Jan 10, 2007
In BC, you can expect a mandatory $70/month for provincial healthcare. In Alberta it's free.

Government healthcare doesn't cover ambulances or prescriptions - if you were hit by a car of mauled by a bear you'd be responsible for the ambulance bill to the hospital, and any prescriptions once you were discharged. The actual hospital care is covered.

Eau de MacGowan
May 12, 2009

BRASIL HEXA
2026 tá logo aí
Thanks for the reply. I'm currently paying $650 US a month for mandatory health insurance in Japan, so I like the look of $70/m a lot.

EgonSpengler
Jun 7, 2000
Forum Veteran
Being self-employed changes the tax situation depending on a lot of factors. Income taxes in BC are lower unless you are earning ~$140k/year or more because of Alberta's ridiculous flat tax. That said sales tax in Alberta is 0%, fuel is cheaper, car insurance is cheaper, so it usually works out cheaper in AB for those reasons.

Private (extended benefits) healthcare will supplement the public healthcare, and can cover dental, prescription drugs, ambulances, etc, but as a self-employed individual you are probably looking at a higher cost for that. If you end up with a chronic disease and have high prescription costs eventually the provincial plans will start picking up the bill, so extended benefits usually limit their coverage to the portion not covered by the province.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
I've lived in BC my whole life and am self employed, and I don't have extended medical because what the province charges and pays for is completely fine, and I regularly partake in the high risk sport of ski racing (I've been to the hospital for injuries four times in the last year alone!). Maybe if I had enormous dental problems, but now I just pay for my contact lenses and any dental appointments out of pocket.

Taxes are really not that much different when you're self employed. The main thing to consider is if you want/qualify for EI you need to sign up for the program, and you'll pay your entire year's worth of premiums on your taxes (I think it maxes out around $4000, and is based on your income) and CPP contributions, for which you have to pay the entire employer portion and employee portion since you're technically both. That one makes out around 5k, it's around 10% of your income up until that point (5% for the employee, 5% for the employer).

Tsyni
Sep 1, 2004
Lipstick Apathy
I've been in an ambulance several times and never charged(in BC), so I assume that there is some minimum amount you have to make before you have to pay. There are federal taxes as well, you can find information you need on the canada revenue agency website.

Scald
May 5, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 26 years!

Tsyni posted:

I've been in an ambulance several times and never charged(in BC), so I assume that there is some minimum amount you have to make before you have to pay. There are federal taxes as well, you can find information you need on the canada revenue agency website.

It depends a lot on the circumstances as to whether or not you'll get dinged with an ambulance bill. Friend of mine got into a car accident, had an ambulance called he didn't need that didn't take him to the hospital and got charged for it. I came to in the ER after a seizure with no idea wtf happened, left and did not get charged because I was too out of it to provide them the right information.

Eau de MacGowan
May 12, 2009

BRASIL HEXA
2026 tá logo aí
Thanks for all the information. You've actually above and beyond and a little too focused on healthcare, my most pressing question was whether there is a federal or provincial tax beyond the personal income tax? Currently I live in Japan where I pay 20% income, 10% prefectural to separate agencies, and then health insurance beyond that (oh, and as a self-employed a 5% retroactive tax on income two years previous, which is why I want to get the gently caress out of here). Do I get one bill on income alone in Canada, or two, or three?

Or property tax?

loving bureaucracy.

Tsyni
Sep 1, 2004
Lipstick Apathy

Eau de MacGowan posted:

Thanks for all the information. You've actually above and beyond and a little too focused on healthcare, my most pressing question was whether there is a federal or provincial tax beyond the personal income tax? Currently I live in Japan where I pay 20% income, 10% prefectural to separate agencies, and then health insurance beyond that (oh, and as a self-employed a 5% retroactive tax on income two years previous, which is why I want to get the gently caress out of here). Do I get one bill on income alone in Canada, or two, or three?

Or property tax?

loving bureaucracy.

It's effectively "one bill" for income tax, since you'll do all your income taxes at the same time and send it to the same place. There are also property (land) taxes that are separate, yes.

Here are the federal tax brackets and the provincial tax brackets:

http://www.cra-arc.gc.ca/tx/ndvdls/fq/txrts-eng.html

Obviously it depends greatly on how much money you'll be making.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EgonSpengler
Jun 7, 2000
Forum Veteran

Eau de MacGowan posted:

Or property tax?

loving bureaucracy.

Taxes in Canada are:
Federal Income Tax
Provincial Income Tax
Like mentioned before, these two are assessed as part of one return through Canada Revenue. Which province is based on where you finish the tax year as a residence.

Also:
5% GST on most retail goods.
Provincial Sales tax on many other retail goods (0% Alberta, 7% BC)
Property taxes if you decide to purchase property (varies based on property value and region)

I think that covers the main individual taxes.

• Locked thread