Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Setanta
Feb 6, 2010
I've signed up for a track day (Wakefield Park) in my DC2R as I need a whole heap of learning how to steer the car on a circuit. Just as I thought I had everything ready to go I realised the oil hasn't been changed in 2000kms. Currently it has 5-30 Royal Purple in it, should I do a change to 10-40 (car has 48K kms on it)or do it after the day as it's a learning day for me and I doubt I'll be pushing at the limit?

Cheers

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ColdPie
Jun 9, 2006

Before. You want your car in as good as shape as possible if you're going to be flying around a track in it. I'd just use the recommended oil weight unless you expect it to be a super hot day or something. You should do your brake fluid too if you haven't done that in the last 12 months. Bring loads of drinking water.

Have fun! There's also a track day thread that you might enjoy flipping through.

mafoose
Oct 30, 2006

volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and vulvas and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dongs and volvos and dons and volvos and dogs and volvos and cats and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs
2000 km in nothing for full synthetic.

I vote for after.

Bugdrvr
Mar 7, 2003

2000km is not much at all on a good synthetic fill. I would leave it be unless you are planning on driving 10/10ths all day in 40C weather.

I would make sure to bring plenty of extra oil though. The B series seems to love oil at high RPMs.

Also, I'm jealous. I have always thought that the Type R would be one of the best track cars around. I bet you'll have more fun than you can imagine.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
Play it safe; do both! :P
Yeah though, have fun. Track time is great and the Type R is a hoot (at least driving it in Forza Motorsport.)

Setanta
Feb 6, 2010
Cheers all, I bit the bullet and dropped in new 10-40 and a new filter. For the price it's cheap insurance. Old oil was golden brown so most likely fine but I tend to OCD on the car and want everything spot on. I'll do another change when I'm done - I usually do it every 3000 or 4 months as I don't get out in it as much as I'd like so it's just a case of one more change

Thanks

the poi
Oct 24, 2004

turbo volvo, wooooo!
Grimey Drawer
Here's my last oil report, 4 track days in ~90 deg heat (plus some mileage):

Going for 6 days on the next fill, to see how it copes. Granted, I have like 8 quarts of oil in the car, but basically, oil cooler and good oil should get you pretty far.

Setanta
Feb 6, 2010
First day on the track - burnt through a bit of oil - close to a litre by the end of it. I did have the motor spinning at 8-8.5K a lot though with a drop to 6.4K in 4th on the straight (Wakefield Park) and ended up a bit worried about it. I'm thinking that I need to switch away from RP which it's always run on as I've started to read some average stuff about it. Seems good on the road, I'm not so certain about on the track. Before I had an instructor in the car I was punishing it too much so that wouldn't have helped.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
Some B18s burn oil, some don't. No rhyme or reason. Idk what Honda guys run, but I like Rotella T6.

Beverly Cleavage
Jun 22, 2004

I am a pretty pretty princess, watch me do my pretty princess dance....

Phone posted:

Some B18s burn oil, some don't. No rhyme or reason. Idk what Honda guys run, but I like Rotella T6.

What phone said.

High revving B series in particular are known for some consumption. Fear not. Just keep it topped up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

clown is watching you sleep
Some engines can be weird about the harsh conditions on a track day as well. Last track day the engine in my car, the 2.0L Audi/VW FSI didn't burn a drop, and its known for using oil like a derrick fire. Meanwhile a co-workers 2.0L MZR in his Miata was chewing through oil like a two stroke and previously had never had any consumption issues.

• Locked thread