Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Protagonist
Jun 29, 2009

The average is 5.5? I thought it was 4. This is very unsettling.

Played through Limbo. Again. Really need suggestions for more games to scratch this itch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

Closure, The Swapper, Nihilumbra, Lume

I Said No
May 21, 2007

jesus dude ur gonna kill someone with that av
tried it, finished it, uninstalled it
i rarely dont enjoy a game but this one was just crap

Abandon
Nov 23, 2006
it was fundamentally flawed imo
the stupid essentially meaningless dying. back in my day we had these things called lives so you could only gently caress up so much and then no more game for you. therefore you only died in the game if you deserved it and likelihood of dying was a meaningful difficulty measure that went up as you went along, and there was a sense of risk and stuff.

i had this housemate who was a hosed up retard but for some reason went and bought a load of awful military shooters for my wii and played them over christmas. i witnessed him playing call of duty once and it was the worst thing i've ever seen, he jsut wandered around pissing about and dying constantly and eventually survived to the next auto save by dumb luck and that's how he got through the game. limbo is evidently made by someone who grew up with that being the norm

Abandon fucked around with this message at 13:11 on Jun 3, 2014

Abandon
Nov 23, 2006
it was a cool game ruined by everything about the game mechanics. dying and having to do stuff again is the worst thing to make somebody do in a game. you let someone do something again if they choose to

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

play Another World op

The Protagonist
Jun 29, 2009

Palpek posted:

Closure, The Swapper, Nihilumbra, Lume
:hf:

I tried out Nihilumbra, I like the idea but the contrived environments and goofy narrator didn't do it for me. Swapper looked like it had weird mechanics, but I might have to give it a try anyway. Lume and Closure I've not even heard of, I'mma check em out

Busta Chimes.wav posted:

play Another World op
way ahead of you there

Mr. Pumroy
May 20, 2001

i liked when you ran through the traps and all the little boys chasing you died or got eaten by a spider. that was hosed up and i like hosed up things.

The Protagonist
Jun 29, 2009

i liked that it managed to tell a (simple) story without a word.

you're a lonely little boy who probably just wants a friend but the other inhabitants reject you not just because you look different but also because drag karma along with you

Everywhere you go you exude suffering, from harming the spider, bringing it to the village, forcing the children deeper into the unknown, finally dismembering and impaling the spider completely, forcing the little rat creature into the toil and fear of the running wheel, ripping the leg off the wasp, burning the brainworms with light and feeding them to the chomping urchins... all just so you could progress and propel yourself deeper into your own nightmare.

It's a legit form for a negative afterlife to take... every action serves to propagate the suffering of both the self and the other.

obstipator
Nov 8, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
LIMBO is ART

discount cathouse
Mar 25, 2009

The Protagonist posted:

:hf:

I tried out Nihilumbra, I like the idea but the contrived environments and goofy narrator didn't do it for me. Swapper looked like it had weird mechanics, but I might have to give it a try anyway. Lume and Closure I've not even heard of, I'mma check em out

way ahead of you there

play swapper its the best of the games mentioned itt

Mr. Pumroy
May 20, 2001

when you reach the end with the girl, then look at the menu screen afterwards, you see the same forest the two of you were in, but there's now two clouds of flies over two dead bodies, which means you died and the girl died, and that is also hosed up and cool.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Another World/Out of this World
Heart of the Alien (unofficial sequel)
Flashback (not the lovely remake)
Blackthorne (Blizzard released it free)
Heart of Darkness
Prince of Persia (the XBLA/PSN remake is pretty good)

• Locked thread