Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cash Monet
Apr 5, 2009

While I wasn't working I saw this on twitter:

@PSchrags
Send me all of the WORST qb matchups of all-time. This is what's important in June, not Brady's eliteness.

This is such a great topic. And twitter can't do it justice.

What's your favorite bad QB matchup of all time, College OR Pro? Maybe you watched it, saw it in person, were horrified when you saw the stat line, whatever; if the stench is still in your nostrils, feel free to share. Here we remember the abominations against sports and humanity that took place on the gridiron.

I'll start us off with one that holds a special place in my heart:

Kyle Orton v. Patrick Ramsey/Mark Brunell (2005)

Kyle Orton: 15/28, 141 yards; 0 TDs; 1 INT

Patrick Ramsey: 6/11, 105 yards; 0 TDs; 1 INT
Mark Brunell: 8/14 70 yards; 0 TDs; 0 INTs

Patrick Ramsey was coming into his 4th year and was going up against a rookie from Purdue who was starting in place of the injured Rex Grossman. Ramsey sprained his neck when Lance Briggs clothes lined him in early 2nd quarter, forcing 35 year old Mark Brunnell to come off the bench. Thanks to big plays from Santanna Moss and a great effort by Clinton Portis, the Skins were able to get a win.

I saw this poo poo show in person.

Brunnell was rusty as gently caress and moved around like Schwarzenegger at the end of Terminator 2 while poor Kyle was harassed all day to the point where he probably started hitting the bottle. Ramsey also managed to fumble twice before leaving the field. This is when I was first really getting into sports and it was almost like this game was telling me "root for the home team, and this what you'll get." But I stuck with the home team anyways!

God help me, I stuck with the home team.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.
I'm phone posting or else I would give a bit more detail, but Colt McCoy vs Charlie Whitehurst in a 6-3 game that the Browns won was an all time awful matchup. This is the season where Whitehurst was so bad that TJax went back in even though he had a torn pec on his throwing side.

http://m.pfref.com/m?p=XXboxscoresXX201110230cle.htm

Highlights include absolutely loving nothing.

Mughe
Mar 17, 2007

I'll tolerate you until I can replace you.
Apparently the Browns have a habit of putting up terrible numbers.

6-3 Browns at Bills October 11th, 2009.

Derek Anderson
2/17, 23 Yds, 0 Tds, 1 Int, 2.0 QBR

Trent Edwards
16/31, 152 Yds, 0 Tds, 1 Int, 25.0 QBR

This game featured Marshawn Lynch and Jamal Lewis as the feature running backs averaging roughly 4 yards a carry. The Browns won with Derek Anderson posting a 0 passer rating in the second half.

I just moved to Upstate NY and this was my introduction to Bills football. It wasn't even bad loving weather. It was just bad loving football.

Ben Has Tiny Weenus
Feb 17, 2007
MSU Will Not Be National Champions

So I really should learn to shut the hole under my nose.
http://scores.espn.go.com/ncf/recap?gameId=282570344

LOOK AT IT

Legit worst game ever, and I was in attendance.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

What do you get when two good defenses face two horrifically bad offenses?

http://www.pro-football-reference.com/boxscores/201212020nyj.htm

Jets - Cardinals, 2012, Mark Sanchez vs Ryan Lindley.

The Cardinals, due to a series of unfortunate events, were down to starting a 6th round rookie QB.

The Cardinals did nothing on their first seven possessions, the last of which ended with over half the 2nd quarter remaining. One of these started on the Jets 25. That of course was the result of a Mark Sanchez int on the first play for the Jets.

1st half drives
Cardinals: Punt, Downs, Punt, Punt, Punt, Interception, Punt, FG.
Jets: Interception, Missed FG, Interception, Punt, Interception, Missed FG, Punt.

There were four drives in this game that started on the opponent's side of the field. One of these ended in a score, a 6 play 18 yard FG drive in the 4th quarter when the Cardinals were down 4 points.

The Jets finally did something in the game by benching Sanchez in the late 3rd quarter, subbing in Greg McElroy who leaned heavily on the running game but managed the gently caress out of the game, leading their only touchdown drive and salting away the last 8 minutes of the game with a 13 play drive of handoffs and QB keepers (and an interception that was called back due to a 5 yard penalty).

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

Ben Has Tiny Weenus posted:

http://scores.espn.go.com/ncf/recap?gameId=282570344

LOOK AT IT

Legit worst game ever, and I was in attendance.

A 3-2 score loving owns. Any game with a safety owns. Mississippi lost too, so it owns even more.

fsif
Jul 18, 2003

Oh, the time to bring up *that* game came a little early this year! Browns/Bills. 6-3. Trent Edwards vs Derek Anderson. Observe the QB stat lines:

You see that stat line on the top? It's missing the most important stat -- Ws: 1. Derek Anderson won the game with two completions.

e: so nice, look at it twice!

Ben Has Tiny Weenus
Feb 17, 2007
MSU Will Not Be National Champions

So I really should learn to shut the hole under my nose.

Chichevache posted:

A 3-2 score loving owns. Any game with a safety owns. Mississippi lost too, so it owns even more.

Mississippi STATE lost, which is a bad thing. Mississippi is the number one seed in wild card bracket of my tournament.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

Ben Has Tiny Weenus posted:

Mississippi STATE lost, which is a bad thing. Mississippi is the number one seed in wild card bracket of my tournament.

Any Mississippi losing is ok in my book.

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret
This one is rather old, but fits perfectly: http://www.pro-football-reference.com/boxscores/197409290buf.htm

How bad was the passing? Joe Namath went 2 of 18 for 33 yards with 3 INT. Joe Ferguson went 0 for 2 and the Bills still won 16-12. PRF's weather thing doesn't really indicate what was going on that day, but I've heard it was something like massive wind gusts or heavy snow or something whacky like that. Either way, it's hard to find an NFL game with worse stat lines...

Detroit_Dogg
Feb 2, 2008
Aaron Rodgers is gay and lame and oh please cum in me Aaron PLEASE I NEED IT OH STAFFORD YOUR COCK IS NOT WORTHY ONLY THE GAYEST RODGERS PRICK CAN SATISFY MY DESPERATE THROAT
Mark Brunell 6/17 58 yards
Joey Harrington 26/52 1TD 1INT

The Redskins won

Danny Kanell 14/34 126 2INTs

Charlie Batch 12/27 128 1INT

Lions win 13-10

zimbomonkey
Jul 15, 2008

Tattoos? On MY black quarterback?
Jimmy Clausen vs. Caleb Hanie

Wait no... apparently it was some guy named Todd Collins.

He threw 4 picks against the Panthers and his team won 23-6.

The Panthers had 62 yards passing and the bears had 29.

Unfortunately for the Panthers Forte went off that day, since this was before the Panthers had a run defense to speak of.

zimbomonkey fucked around with this message at 00:37 on Jun 4, 2014

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves

Kalli posted:

What do you get when two good defenses face two horrifically bad offenses?

http://www.pro-football-reference.com/boxscores/201212020nyj.htm

Jets - Cardinals, 2012, Mark Sanchez vs Ryan Lindley.

The Cardinals, due to a series of unfortunate events, were down to starting a 6th round rookie QB.

The Cardinals did nothing on their first seven possessions, the last of which ended with over half the 2nd quarter remaining. One of these started on the Jets 25. That of course was the result of a Mark Sanchez int on the first play for the Jets.

1st half drives
Cardinals: Punt, Downs, Punt, Punt, Punt, Interception, Punt, FG.
Jets: Interception, Missed FG, Interception, Punt, Interception, Missed FG, Punt.

There were four drives in this game that started on the opponent's side of the field. One of these ended in a score, a 6 play 18 yard FG drive in the 4th quarter when the Cardinals were down 4 points.

The Jets finally did something in the game by benching Sanchez in the late 3rd quarter, subbing in Greg McElroy who leaned heavily on the running game but managed the gently caress out of the game, leading their only touchdown drive and salting away the last 8 minutes of the game with a 13 play drive of handoffs and QB keepers (and an interception that was called back due to a 5 yard penalty).

This is the game I immediately thought of as well. I remember reading an article about where they charted how the announce team slowly went insane over the course of the game

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008

Intruder posted:

This is the game I immediately thought of as well. I remember reading an article about where they charted how the announce team slowly went insane over the course of the game

The announcers slowly going insane is the best part about lovely football games.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

zimbomonkey posted:

Unfortunately for the Panthers Forte went off that day, since this was before the Panthers had a run defense to speak of.

I was at this game.

It's still not as bad as randy fasani vs brad Johnson in 2002.

Sheen Sheen
Nov 18, 2002

Burger Trench posted:

Oh, the time to bring up *that* game came a little early this year! Browns/Bills. 6-3. Trent Edwards vs Derek Anderson. Observe the QB stat lines:

You see that stat line on the top? It's missing the most important stat -- Ws: 1. Derek Anderson won the game with two completions.

e: so nice, look at it twice!

No joke--this is literally the worst football game I have ever seen in my life.

say no to bats
Aug 15, 2001
Rumblee tumblee, climin' a hunny tree

Sheen Sheen posted:

No joke--this is literally the worst football game I have ever seen in my life.

I've been a Browns fan since the 80s and can safely say, despite countless lovely games seen in my day, that this is truly the worst NFL game, perhaps pro sports game period, I have ever seen in my life.

This is one of the top 3 worst NFL games I have ever seen, maybe only top 5.

http://scores.espn.go.com/nfl/boxscore?gameId=311023005

It pales in comparison to that wonderful Derek Anderson abortion. Two terrible shitbag QBs, but look how much better they both did.

Sour Diesel
Jan 30, 2010

I remember this game so well because Road Joe was there in full force and we still beat the Jets 34-17 because the defense was playing out of its mind.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/football/nfl/gameflash/2011/10/02/4447_boxscore.html

QB Stats

Flacco 10/31 163yds TD-0 INT-1

Sanchez 11/35 119yds TD-0 INT-1

The Jets defense was still pretty loving insane at this point in 2011 as well. The Ravens offense started making GBS threads all over itself. Absolutely no receivers got open. Torrey was in his rookie year and was getting jammed at the line (along with the rest of the corps, Boldin included) and could not get off of it or get open whatsoever. Imagine the terrible 2013 Ravens offense, and it's pretty much what this game was for Baltimore. Ray Rice would get slammed at the line of scrimmage for 2 downs, then an incomplete pass would bring 4th down.

The thing that pisses me off about this game is Torrey finally got off the line and burned the gently caress out of Revis of all people, but Joe launched the ball into the loving stratosphere and overthrew Torrey.

I don't think I need to explain why Sanchez sucked for that particular game.

This same Ravens football team got very close to going to the Super Bowl. Football is weird.

Sour Diesel fucked around with this message at 05:29 on Jun 4, 2014

Zifnab
Aug 21, 2005

Hope Springs Eternal
UW's lone win in 2004. For his career, Casey Paus had a 42% completion percentage with a 7/18 TD/pick ratio.

I still hate Johnny DuRocher

Only game Stanford won in 2006:

Both from 2008:

UW lost this one 48-7 because Jahvid Best ran for 311 yards and 4 TDs. On 19 carries.

I've watched a lot of really, really bad football. Thanks Willingham!

xbilkis
Apr 11, 2005

god qb
me
jay hova
ORTON! PICKETT! WIND!

49ers-Chicago was a prime Bad QB battle in the mid 00s, because a year earlier they made the Ken Dorsey-Craig Krenzel rematch a reality. Not quite as terrible, but between those two games there were more Nathan Vasher return touchdowns (2) than passing touchdowns (1)

The Puppy Bowl
Jan 31, 2013

A dog, in the house.

*woof*
Though is was only his second season this was the game when every sane Ravens fan turned on Kyle Boller.

http://www.nfl.com/gamecenter/2004101012/2004/REG5/ravens@redskins#tab=analyze&analyze=boxscore

Kyle Boller 9/18 81 yds 0 TD 3 Int

Marc Brunell 13/29 83 yds 1 TD 1 Int

The Ravens defense was absolutely dominant on the line and it took forever for this game to end all the same.

Prozach
Oct 30, 2013

When God invented Lycra, he was thinking about Divas matches.
This might not be the right place for this since the UCLA quarterback actually played really well, but I'd like to think that Marshall Lobbestael's performance in this game is bad enough to count twice over.

http://scores.espn.go.com/ncf/playbyplay?gameId=293180265

Seriously, LOOK at that 1st quarter play by play.

I'd also like to echo the sentiments above that Seattle v Cleveland is the worst NFL game ever played.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
I'm not even really old enough to remember this well, but the last Lions game of 2000, which stopped them from entering the playoffs and ushered in the Millen regime, was a poo poo QB four-way: Charlie Batch got injured and was replaced by Stoney Case. Chicago's Shane Matthews got hurt and was replaced by Cade McNown.

http://www.pro-football-reference.com/boxscores/200012240det.htm

Batch/Case combined to go 19/36 for 170 yards, 1 TD and 1 INT. Matthews and McNown had a slightly better 19/29, 183 yards, 1 TD, 0 INT performance. The Bears won on a Paul Edinger field goal with two seconds left, 23-20.

As far as college I can't think of any particularly bad matchups off the top of my head, but I did see Nick Sheridan play live once and he's the worst QB I've ever seen.

Magnitogorsk.
Nov 14, 2004

Global warming is barely a big deal at all compared to the trajectory we used to be on. We'll have to do a lot of environmental engineering projects along certain shorelines and it will be a little warmer and wetter in some places, big fucking deal.

zimbomonkey posted:

This is the game I thought of immediately. As a bonus, it was actually 3 lovely quarterbacks! http://www.nfl.com/gamecenter/2010101005/2010/REG5/bears@panthers#tab=analyze&menu=highlights

code:
		C/A	Yards	TD	INT
T. Collins	6/16	32	0	4

J. Clausen	9/22	61	0	1
M. Moore	5/10	35	0	2

I also wanted to post the Rusty Smith 17/31, 0 TD, 3 INT game against the 2010 Texans which I believe was the worst defense in NFL history at the time, but it turns out Schaub actually played fine in that game

Soxorss
Jan 17, 2014

Prozach posted:

This might not be the right place for this since the UCLA quarterback actually played really well, but I'd like to think that Marshall Lobbestael's performance in this game is bad enough to count twice over.

http://scores.espn.go.com/ncf/playbyplay?gameId=293180265

Seriously, LOOK at that 1st quarter play by play.

I'd also like to echo the sentiments above that Seattle v Cleveland is the worst NFL game ever played.

Yeah this was "Dad's Weekend" in Pullman. It had just snowed and they didn't bother to try and wipe it all off or manage the snow.

hella disgruntled dads

FeedingHam2Cats
Nov 10, 2009

Sour Diesel posted:

I remember this game so well because Road Joe was there in full force and we still beat the Jets 34-17 because the defense was playing out of its mind.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/football/nfl/gameflash/2011/10/02/4447_boxscore.html

QB Stats

Flacco 10/31 163yds TD-0 INT-1

Sanchez 11/35 119yds TD-0 INT-1

The Jets defense was still pretty loving insane at this point in 2011 as well. The Ravens offense started making GBS threads all over itself. Absolutely no receivers got open. Torrey was in his rookie year and was getting jammed at the line (along with the rest of the corps, Boldin included) and could not get off of it or get open whatsoever. Imagine the terrible 2013 Ravens offense, and it's pretty much what this game was for Baltimore. Ray Rice would get slammed at the line of scrimmage for 2 downs, then an incomplete pass would bring 4th down.

The thing that pisses me off about this game is Torrey finally got off the line and burned the gently caress out of Revis of all people, but Joe launched the ball into the loving stratosphere and overthrew Torrey.

I don't think I need to explain why Sanchez sucked for that particular game.

This same Ravens football team got very close to going to the Super Bowl. Football is weird.

That game owned so much, especially because the Ravens' defense almost outscored both offenses combined

nearly killed em!
Aug 5, 2011

Sour Diesel posted:

Not one to be outdone by himself Flacco followed that up a few weeks later with a game against the great Blaine Gabbert.

http://scores.espn.go.com/nfl/boxscore?gameId=311024030

J. Flacco 21/38 137yds 3.6avg 1td 1int

B. Gabbert 9/20 93yds 4.7avg 0td 0int

Flacco ended the first half with 8 passing yards and Gabbert was Blaine Gabbert.

Sour Diesel
Jan 30, 2010

bakka bakka posted:

Not one to be outdone by himself Flacco followed that up a few weeks later with a game against the great Blaine Gabbert.

http://scores.espn.go.com/nfl/boxscore?gameId=311024030

J. Flacco 21/38 137yds 3.6avg 1td 1int

B. Gabbert 9/20 93yds 4.7avg 0td 0int

Flacco ended the first half with 8 passing yards and Gabbert was Blaine Gabbert.

He also completed a pass to himself in that game. That game was so loving frustrating, especially because all they had to do was score a TD and to win. The team would've been 13-3 and gotten the #2 seed if that happened.

shiksa
Nov 9, 2009

i went to one of these wrestling shows and it was... honestly? frickin boring. i wanna see ricky! i want to see his gold chains and respect for the ftw lifestyle

Zifnab posted:

UW's lone win in 2004. For his career, Casey Paus had a 42% completion percentage with a 7/18 TD/pick ratio.

Those are all terrible but theres something special about 7 completions for 22 yards.

Like, how do you even complete 7 passes for 22 yards?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zifnab
Aug 21, 2005

Hope Springs Eternal

shiksa posted:

Those are all terrible but theres something special about 7 completions for 22 yards.

Like, how do you even complete 7 passes for 22 yards?

I was at that game, I seem to remember lots of screens getting blown up. I've tried hard to block out the whole 2002-2012 decade of football as best I can though

• Locked thread