Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
cisneros
Apr 18, 2006
own I knew.
Ecuador wasn't well known in football until CONMEBOL changed the qualifying format, and the guys at the top figured there was money to be made, and leveraged their altitude homecourt advantage into several WC appearances(they routinely qualify with around 2 or 3 points drawn away from home). They took advantage by filling the team with guys that can run a lot and send crosses until the other team tires (but they forgot to get someone to finish the crosses in 2010 so they didn't qualify that time).

With a core of local league, Middle East and Liga MX players, they don't look strong at all on paper, but like I said, the president of the federation and his extended family are football agents, and put priority in making a quick buck over putting the players on a good situation, but other than Chucho Benitez dying alone in Qatar, it has mostly worked out.(at least 3 of the guys going have confirmed fake birth certificates).

Their main weakness is their bad defense and being extremely slow starters, you can easily put a couple goals in before the 15 minutes mark, but lately they've been able to come back from 2-3 goals down, so it's not that easy anymore. Also, I don't think anyone on defense is actually over 1.70 m, so you can put a big lad up front and capitalize. I don't see them advancing, but they'll get some points/ goals for sure.

GOALKEEPERS

Adrian Bone (El Nacional): Meh.
Alexander Dominguez(LDU Quito): He's very tall, probably the tallest person in the country(he's actually colombian but don't tell anyone ok)
Maximo Banguera(Bad Barcelona): As wide as Dominguez is tall.

DEFENDERS

Oscar Bagui (Emelec): I only recall him making mistakes all the time, but he plays for my team so he's good.
Gabriel Achilier (Emelec): Same.
Juan Carlos Paredes (Barcelona): Extremely fast, but nobody has gotten around to teach him football yet.
Frickson Erazo(Flamengo): He's ok.
Jorge Guagua (Emelec): Old, but he plays for my team so he's good.
Walter Ayovi(Pachuca): Captain, really old.

MIDFIELDERS

Carlos Gruezo (VfB Stuttgart): I don't know who he is.
Fidel Martinez (Tijuana): He's bad and looks stupid.
Renato Ibarra (Vitesse): Ok.
Michael Arroyo (Atlante): A big idiot, but he used to play for my team so he's good.
Joao Rojas (Cruz Azul): Quite skilled, he also played for my team
Christian Noboa (Dynamo Moscow): The team's most consistent player, can score sometimes, used to play for my team.
Jefferson Montero (Monarcas Morelia): The most skilled guy on the team, he used to play for my team.
Segundo Castillo (Al-Hilal): Quite good, but someone did a mexican on him and is injured now, but they'll make him play anyway.
Luis Saritama (Bad Barcelona): Has no business being here.
Antonio Valencia (Man Utd): Our best player, probably one of the best in the world at what this team does(crosses), but is often asked to do more on the national team, sometimes he does, sometimes he doesn't.
Edison Mendez (Independiente): Once the team's best player, he's been done for like 5 years, but is being brought to fulfill meaningless trivia.

FORWARDS

Enner Valencia (Pachuca): He used to play for Emelec, so he's good.
Jaime Ayovi (Tijuana): Same.
Felipe Caicedo (Al-Jazira Club): The team's best striker, he's big and takes care of the team's numerous crosses, but just got a middle east transfer, so he's unfortunately done as a player.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Weaponized Cum
Aug 31, 2004

This post brought to you by the finest Miami cocaine money can buy ----->
RIP Christian Benitez

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qpmrnHs7Jy8

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fPsMR7HvuZM

Literally everything I know about Ecuador

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

and then the car turned in to fire

Tsaedje posted:

Same, I'm glad someone else received the same level of education as I did.

Wirth1000
May 12, 2010

#essereFerrari

Tsaedje posted:

Shaking from all the nostalgia

Bogan Krkic
Oct 31, 2010

Swedish style? No.
Yugoslavian style? Of course not.
It has to be Zlatan-style.

Tsaedje posted:

Oh My God I'm doing all the sick nostalgic dance moves

Also op, tell us more about the fake birth certificates please, I love a good conspiracy

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

Bogan Krkic posted:

Also op, tell us more about the fake birth certificates please, I love a good conspiracy

Julian Assange is stuck in the Ecuadorian embassy, makes you think...

cisneros
Apr 18, 2006

Bogan Krkic posted:

There's nothing much to it, it's just a thing that is easy to get away with (for example, I played sub 18 basketball until I was 20, nobody cares as long as you're not actually good). I'm not gonna fact check, but from the top of my head, someone found Dominguez's colombian birth certificate, but it was hushed away quickly, and Walter Ayovi was found to be several years older after doing great on some youth tournament, and he was suspended for years, but as time passed, it turned to be months, and he continued to have a long and successful career. Recently, I recall that 20 years old guy who ran to Peru and somehow got on the Peruvian sub 17 team, I mean, it just happens.

straight up brolic
Jan 31, 2007

After all, I was nice in ball,
Came to practice weed scented
Report card like the speed limit

:homebrew::homebrew::homebrew:

it's pretty interesting that the majority of the team comes from this mestizo highland area that like none of the population lives in (I think it's like 50% of the team comes from an area occupied by 5% of the population or something like that). Is this still true, or is it outdated?

straight up brolic fucked around with this message at 16:58 on Jun 4, 2014

cisneros
Apr 18, 2006

mynameisjohn posted:

it's pretty interesting that the majority of the team comes from this mestizo highland area that like none of the population lives in (I think it's like 50% of the team comes from an area occupied by 5% of the population or something like that). Is this still true, or is it outdated?

Well, when the Altitude Powerhouse plan started, the team was comprised of a lot of players from a place called Valle del Chota, which had the advantage of being near altitude and also being predominantly black(there was plenty indians left in Ecuador, so there was mostly no african slavery there, but the jesuits got a lot of land and managed to kill off all the indians in the region, so they got lots of slaves, and they eventually formed a community there. The other predominantly black place in Ecuador is Esmeraldas, which was near Colombia and got most of their escaped slaves). With time, there was a shift, and altitude teams started being more successful and more players started playing there (and really, once you get accustomed to altitude for real, you don't really need a lot of time to get acclimated again), so now the players come from pretty much everywhere, for example, Antonio Valencia comes from the Amazon region.

straight up brolic
Jan 31, 2007

After all, I was nice in ball,
Came to practice weed scented
Report card like the speed limit

:homebrew::homebrew::homebrew:

cisneros posted:

Well, when the Altitude Powerhouse plan started, the team was comprised of a lot of players from a place called Valle del Chota, which had the advantage of being near altitude and also being predominantly black(there was plenty indians left in Ecuador, so there was mostly no african slavery there, but the jesuits got a lot of land and managed to kill off all the indians in the region, so they got lots of slaves, and they eventually formed a community there. The other predominantly black place in Ecuador is Esmeraldas, which was near Colombia and got most of their escaped slaves). With time, there was a shift, and altitude teams started being more successful and more players started playing there (and really, once you get accustomed to altitude for real, you don't really need a lot of time to get acclimated again), so now the players come from pretty much everywhere, for example, Antonio Valencia comes from the Amazon region.
yeah that's what I'm thinking about! thanks. There's not much info about it online, but I remembered my Ecuadorian pal telling me about it and thinking it was a really cool regional twist.

thanks, gonna save this post for later!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Simone Poodoin
Jun 26, 2003

Che storia figata, ragazzo!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SfbqTcv49F8

• Locked thread