Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Don't tease the Octopus, kids!

Poulpe posted:

Not to derail, but is there somewhere I can read about what exactly makes the game terrible? I have an odd fascination of reading about poor game design choices.

There's probably stuff out there somewhere. I could personally go into the myriad problems with the game, but I don't have the time for such an extensive write-up right now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
There was an LP that got through most of the game (now somewhere in the archives) but it got abandoned for the game being terrible, and because of answering one innocuous question incorrectly at the beginning of the game locked him out of a bunch of character content, if I recall. It was a good chronicle of despair and terrible game design choices.

Keldulas
Mar 18, 2009
Actually if I recall, he actually outright lost the data, and he basically said gently caress no to replaying the thing.

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

Corvinus posted:

I'll give you Elidibs, phase 2 Altima, some of the endgame assassination battles, and maybe phase 1 Belias, but you'd be dead wrong about the majority. Vanilla FFT bosses were so pathetic they could be 1-2 shot, so I think requiring a setup that's more than random monkeycheese is not excessively restrictive.

I 1-shot the last boss of the game on my first run through and I did not use any strategy guides or anything, just got lucky(?) with having ramza classed as an oracle at the time, drain does ridiculous damage, I think it was like 800-900 and instagibbed the last boss. I was pretty miffed about this honestly, but I had a save prior to the end sequence and then used a strategy guide to find the DD etc and also replayed the last battle and changed ramza's job to something else that wouldn't instakill the boss with a single ability (I think it was oracle with drain could be mediator or something else though).

MF_James fucked around with this message at 01:35 on Jun 28, 2014

Garrand
Dec 28, 2012

Rhino, you did this to me!

RE 1.3 from last page (and a week ago, but still) there is in fact an ongoing LP of it on SA. It's currently on hiatus, but that just means there's time to catch up as it's like 45 updates in so far. It is a full LP, so he's going through all the story and dialogue, but he's also thoroughly cataloguing the changes made for 1.3.

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

MF_James posted:

I 1-shot the last boss of the game on my first run through and I did not use any strategy guides or anything, just got lucky(?) with having ramza classed as an oracle at the time, drain does ridiculous damage, I think it was like 800-900 and instagibbed the last boss. I was pretty miffed about this honestly, but I had a save prior to the end sequence and then used a strategy guide to find the DD etc and also replayed the last battle and changed ramza's job to something else that wouldn't instakill the boss with a single ability (I think it was oracle with drain could be mediator or something else though).

Eh, I don't think that's possible. Drain does a set 25% damage to an enemy, so you get big numbers from bosses. But you'd still need to hit him with 4 to kill him. Also, pretty sure the last boss has more than 999 HP, which is the most you can do in one attack (barring some odd abilities like Heaven/Hell skills, and it would take a lot of luck to do enough damage to one-shot a boss with those).

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

MF_James posted:

I 1-shot the last boss of the game on my first run through and I did not use any strategy guides or anything, just got lucky(?) with having ramza classed as an oracle at the time, drain does ridiculous damage, I think it was like 800-900 and instagibbed the last boss.

When I hit the last boss I just unlocked mime and was having a lot of fun with it. I just stationed Ramza next to her while all of my other crew members stayed put. They were their normal classes, but all of them were unarmed and had dual-wield.

The rest of this story probably writes itself. It was done within two turns :allears:

Mak0rz fucked around with this message at 08:21 on Jun 28, 2014

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

A bit late, but I only just found the LP and this had me laughing hysterically. Especially since it was completely unintentional.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

Bifauxnen posted:

A bit late, but I only just found the LP and this had me laughing hysterically. Especially since it was completely unintentional.
Oh lord, I completely missed that.

Also, adding the 1.3 LP to the OP.

Dr. Buttass
Aug 12, 2013

AWFUL SOMETHING
I just got caught up. I've only ever played FFT Advance so it's interesting seeing how the first one is different.

If you're still taking names to join your army, I want to be a ridiculous moron, can I be an Onion Knight?

Meaty Ore
Dec 17, 2011

My God, it's full of cat pictures!

It's been a while since I've played, but I'm pretty sure Onion Knight isn't an option in this particular game. I suppose a Squire who learns no abilities might be a close approximation, though.

Skyridge
Jan 1, 2011

Dr. Buttass posted:

I just got caught up. I've only ever played FFT Advance so it's interesting seeing how the first one is different.

I HIGHLY recommend you check out Orange Fluffy Sheep's LP of this as your first exposure to this game. I'm pretty sure PoisonMushroom would agree, seeing how often he's linked to it and said similar things.

And yeah, Onion Knights are only in the PSP/iOS version.

Dr. Buttass
Aug 12, 2013

AWFUL SOMETHING
Really? Nerts. And I went to all the trouble to look up what they even had too. Uuh...move to change my guy to dragoon then?

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Dr. Buttass posted:

Really? Nerts. And I went to all the trouble to look up what they even had too. Uuh...move to change my guy to dragoon then?
I actually got a huge number of applications right away, so they're closed right now. But between Dorter Trade City and another couple battles coming up, that list might end up short soon.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

I'm putting this LP on the backburner until I move in two weeks. Not to say there won't be an update any time soon, just that it's rather low on my priority list until I have a new place to live.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

I'm just glad the thread isn't forgotten. There are so many recruits waiting to die!

• Locked thread