Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Hail Mr. Satan!
Oct 3, 2009

by zen death robot
Got this in my email today. Figured I'd share:

quote:

Hello!

You are receiving this email because you previously participated in some academic research about interaction in online games and virtual worlds (the SCRIBE project, in Second Life or World of Warcraft), and because you indicated you may wish to participate in future research projects. This is an invitation to participate in a research survey about MMO/virtual world users and their avatars.

I am a researcher and professor at the University of Toronto, and my research focuses on player communication and behavior in online games. Currently, I’m conducting a study of how MMO players think and feel about their avatars, and as part of this study I’m looking for people to take a 20-25 minute survey about their avatars. Although you can choose to answer questions about WoW or SL in the survey, you could choose another MMO or virtual world as well.

I am a MMO player myself (WoW, GW2, TESO, SL, and I'm getting ready to try my hand at FFXIV), so I understand you may have some hesitation related to account security and privacy. I assure you that the survey will not collect any information that could compromise your account or personal information. The survey includes mostly multiple-choice questions, and at no time requests personally identifying information. I promise - no scams, no need to enter account info, nothing shady.

If you'd like some validation that I'm a legit researcher/professor, you can check out my university profile here: http://www.utm.utoronto.ca/iccit/jaime-banks and my research profile here: http://utoronto.academia.edu/JaimeBanks

Upon completing the survey, you will be redirected to a separate web site (not tied to your survey responses in any way) where you can choose to enter your email address in order to be entered into a drawing for one of five $25 gift cards to your choice of Amazon, Best Buy, or Steam games network. Entry into the drawing is optional, and any email addresses submitted will be kept strictly confidential.

Survey link: http://wvu.qualtrics.com/SE/?SID=SV_eR8CL1Frwv2QBHn

If you have any questions at all, please feel free to email me at the address provided after the link. Thanks! :)

~Jaime

PS - I'd be ever so grateful if you'd tell your friends and guildies!

I did research for this organization a few years ago and they are legit. I'm not getting anything out of referrals. I just thought people might want to take part.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pertinent
Apr 3, 2009

A Fancy Bloke posted:

I did research for this organization a few years ago and they are legit. I'm not getting anything out of referrals. I just thought people might want to take part.

I did the survey because I'm a curious guy, but I really couldn't get myself to go all the way through. The questions just got too bizarre about halfway through. It's all about whether or not you've ever fallen in love with the pixels on your screen, and I was afraid if I kept clicking next it'd eventually ask me if I ever masterbated to my favorite character or something.

Lord Windy
Mar 26, 2010
This was a weird survey. People actually see their avatar as more than an object on the screen? I could imagine calling the avatar a he/she if you have more than one.

I emailed the guy running it to see what it's all about because I'm betting this is actually about mentally ill people.

Also, the last page was hilarious. It asks your biological sex with the option of electing something else and then asks what you associate as. What is the point of that?

Carlton Banks Teller
Nov 18, 2004

Lord Windy posted:

Also, the last page was hilarious. It asks your biological sex with the option of electing something else and then asks what you associate as. What is the point of that?

Gender and sex are sociologically/scientifically distinct labels.

Incidentally, that associate-as question bugged out for me somehow and prevented me from submitting my answers as it registered as unanswered no matter how I filled it out.

Lord Windy
Mar 26, 2010

Carlton Banks Teller posted:

Gender and sex are sociologically/scientifically distinct labels.

Incidentally, that associate-as question bugged out for me somehow and prevented me from submitting my answers as it registered as unanswered no matter how I filled it out.

I was about to say you could only have two choices for biological if you're adding an associate-as option, but I've just discovered intersex can mean different chromosomes. So I guess it was valid choice and I was wrong

Hail Mr. Satan!
Oct 3, 2009

by zen death robot
Yeah, all I could figure is that those questions were for the crazy Second Life people.

Edit: The questions about being your avatar, not the gender questions.

Scags
Nov 12, 2005

A Fancy Bloke posted:

Yeah, all I could figure is that those questions were for the crazy Second Life people.

Edit: The questions about being your avatar, not the gender questions.

Definitely. I think this was about obsession/infatuation with your avatar, and mental sickness. Pretty odd. Some of the questions made me a little uncomfortable. Especially the ones about your avatar continuing to live its own life while you're logged out.

kloa
Feb 14, 2007

I was going to fill this out but like you guys mentioned, the questions got weirder as I went and gave up.

Demicol
Nov 8, 2009

Filled it out and even selected the option to get informed about the results. I'm really sad for anyone who answered "strongly agree" to stuff about seeing your avatar as a separate being with its own life etc

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

Holy poo poo, some of these questions :catstare:. Some of them are a little confusing, though

quote:

This avatar does things I cannot do

I mean, it can't do anything with out me but I also can't do things I've done in games with avatars like fly or use magic.

evilentity
Jun 25, 2010
The survey was quite interesting, yes. Me and my avatar enjoyed answering them. Tho it would be better if there ware two surveys, one for me and one the avatar!

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It

Abandon
Nov 23, 2006
I watched Life 2.0 the other week and ever since then I've worried about how I sometimes like to take screenshots of my cool characters in RPGs

Panic! at Nabisco
Jun 6, 2007

it seemed like a good idea at the time
Wow, I almost felt like the survey itself was judging me for seeing my MMO characters as collections of pixels rather than ~living, breathing people I connect with more than real humans~. What a bizarre experience. Looking forward to seeing the results of it; the implied middle ground was still nutso bonkers so that might do some interesting things to the data.

Abandon
Nov 23, 2006
I mean like, on a scale of 1 to otherkin, how weird is this
http://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561197967305452/screenshots/?appid=72850

e: what the hell might as well go for broke. I also did a spreadsheet
https://www.icloud.com/iw/#numbers/BAJHKciA_TYiDxSqmreBpZjtReQkOzgpbySF/SkyrimCharacters

Abandon fucked around with this message at 15:25 on Jun 12, 2014

NLJP
Aug 26, 2004

I honestly don't feel I can answer the majority of these questions because most of the questions are framed in such a way to already implicitly grant 'avatars' agency and seperate identity.

Hardly any of these questions actually relate to how I actually deal with my mmo characters.

Whole lot of 'neither agree or disagree' up in here but again, the way it's framed I can't tell whether the survey actually does treat that as neutral or 'not a relevant question'.

edit: ah actually gets a bit more interesting in terms of 'agency' etc. as it goes on a bit. Honestly got quite interesting by the end. I signed up for the results when they come out.

NLJP fucked around with this message at 16:49 on Jun 12, 2014

Pladdicus
Aug 13, 2010

Scags posted:

Definitely. I think this was about obsession/infatuation with your avatar, and mental sickness. Pretty odd. Some of the questions made me a little uncomfortable. Especially the ones about your avatar continuing to live its own life while you're logged out.

Consider a child playing make belief who considers his Pirate 101 or whatever character to be his imaginary friend.

Or a roleplayer who considers their totally fake character's story.

Wasn't super left field, until later. Definitely want to see the results

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

tadashi posted:

Holy poo poo, some of these questions :catstare:. Some of them are a little confusing, though

I mean, it can't do anything with out me but I also can't do things I've done in games with avatars like fly or use magic.

Yea, don't think I really got what they meant with some of them either. Of course my character is not just pixels, he's a bunch of variables and numerical values too!

Hugoon Chavez
Nov 4, 2011

THUNDERDOME LOSER
I also signed to get the results because, well, it's pretty interesting.

Still, some things were pretty vague. I do refer as my avatar as "I", but because I'm talking about my actions as the players, not because I AM Noobkilla THE GNOME MAGE FEAR MY FIREBALL. Usually I'd say "yeah, sure, I refer to my character as I" but the rest of the questions made me feel uncomfortable that I do.

Doesn't help that my language doesn't have a neutral gender.

But yeah the weirdest questions were those asking you if you thought that your character carries on without you. drat, I wish! Lazy gently caress won't even farm minerals when I'm away!

Abandon
Nov 23, 2006
I definitely wanted to add explanatory comments to my answers
like I don't totally disagree with the idea that my guy in ESO is "like a human" or whatever because, like, he's a guy who talks to people and swings a sword around, as opposed to, say, a spaceship or something.

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

kloa posted:

I was going to fill this out but like you guys mentioned, the questions got weirder as I went and gave up.

I think the best bit was the back and forth reversing questions with the avatar as it's own person.

I love my avatar. My avatar loves me. We watch out for each other. They'll never hurt us again :ese:

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

There was actually a question about the avatar having a life after I log off which gave me pause because, when I played SWG years ago (and even now with the EMU), most serious players had an alt that they logged in to serve as some kind of buff bot to make extra money when they weren't "playing" (recursive macros FTW). That meant other characters were actually interacting with their character even when the player was sleeping/working/whatever. The syntax of the question, though, was "after I log out" which was a relief.

Lucy Heartfilia
May 31, 2012

I liked the survey, because it tried to shed like on various different ways one could relate to an avatar. All to often those surveys only go in one or two directions.

Lothire
Jan 27, 2007

Rx Suicide emailed me and all I got was this amazingly awesome forum account.

Tortured By Flan
So many of these questions don't have context.

"Do you feel more skilled with this avatar?" Why, yes, after all the hours of plugging away noobs I-
"Do you love your avatar?" Ah.. Well I mean I play it a lot and I love the game so I suppo-
"Are you your avatar? Is your avatar you?" :vince:

Iseeyouseemeseeyou
Jan 3, 2011
i answer to icucmecu irl

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord
This isn't a survey, it's a psyche exam.

And I just found out I'm tsundere for an avatar I made over 10 years ago!

Mormon Star Wars
Aug 13, 2005
It's a minotaur race...

This is the funniest survey I have ever taken. I am really curious about what the results are going to show about people were managed to complete the entire thing despite the first three pages sounding like they were trying to identify serial killers.

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

I thought it was pretty interesting that people (presumably) get so attached to their MMO characters. As someone who spends an ungodly amount of time playing Skyrim, I can't imagine a worse game for characterisation or MY IMMERSION~ than an MMO.

Everything is sacrificed for gameplay and convenience. Not a bad thing, but surely it's not very conducive to peoples' anime serial killer waifu fantasies.

Griz
May 21, 2001

They should have added a "what the gently caress" option to the standard 7-point scale because some of these questions are really weird for anyone who isn't a super hardcore roleplayer.

"Neither agree nor disagree" isn't an adequate response for things like "this avatar and I are friends." My avatar is me playing the game. Am I friends with myself?

edit: it gets even worse. Everyone should do this survey just to see the weird-rear end questions.

Griz fucked around with this message at 21:57 on Jun 14, 2014

randombattle
Oct 16, 2008

This hand of mine shines and roars! It's bright cry tells me to grasp victory!

Griz posted:

They should have added a "what the gently caress" option to the standard 7-point scale because some of these questions are really weird for anyone who isn't a super hardcore roleplayer.

"Neither agree nor disagree" isn't an adequate response for things like "this avatar and I are friends." My avatar is me playing the game. Am I friends with myself?

edit: it gets even worse. Everyone should do this survey just to see the weird-rear end questions.

Holy gently caress yes this survey is insane.

"I AM THE INSTRUMENT FOR MY AVATARS DESIRES!" :black101: This is a survey to find crazy people isn't it. There's no other way.

Miijhal
Jul 10, 2011

I am so tired... I am so tired all the time...
I'm just waiting for the results to suggest most MMORPG players think "MY AVATAR IS A REAL PERSON! :unsmigghh:"

Hazdoc
Nov 8, 2012

Muscovy Ducks are a large tropical breed, famous for their lean and extremely flavorful meat.

Hazduck!

~SMcD
Well, this sure was a weird one. I really hope people don't go down the route of "I OBEY MY AVATAR" or incredibly weirdo poo poo like that, but I wouldn't write that off as something that never happens. I've definitely seen a few of the crazies before, perhaps the rabbit hole really is that deep.

Abandon
Nov 23, 2006
That Life 2.0 movie was a real trip, I think the guy with the 12 year old girl avatar who put his voice through audio processing to be high pitched having a "suicide party" for the avatar before logging off to face his true self or w/e was kind of where it peaked

e: no wait, poo poo, I forgot about the in-game shooting spree he does. lol

Abandon fucked around with this message at 08:38 on Jun 15, 2014

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

This is the most bizarre thing I've ever read. I've been playing MMOs for the past 17 years (holy poo poo) and have associated with well over a thousand players throughout that time, and I've never once met someone who ever even hinted at the fact that their character might even possibly be more than a class selection with a name slapped on.

Abandon posted:

That Life 2.0 movie was a real trip, I think the guy with the 12 year old girl avatar who put his voice through audio processing to be high pitched having a "suicide party" for the avatar before logging off to face his true self or w/e was kind of where it peaked

e: no wait, poo poo, I forgot about the in-game shooting spree he does. lol

I especially liked how he seemed to have a normal wife who found his behavior absolutely baffling. I honestly can not see this survey being 'relevant' for anyone except Second Life players and I'm legitimately curious as to why it was about MMOs in general instead of Second Life specifically.

Griz posted:

I "strongly disagree"d with every single one of those and wrote a comment about how absolutely ludicrous they sounded to me.

Dinictus
Nov 26, 2005

May our CoX spray white sticky fluid at our enemies forever!
HAIL ARACHNOS!
Soiled Meat

Griz posted:

The stupid thing is, I roleplay, so some of those questions are kinda iffy. But then you have those weird questions where it's assumed you may not be able to disconnect from playing out that character outside of the gameplay itself.

Am I the character? No.
Do they have their own aspirations? Yes, and I play them out.
Do they have their own lives when I log out? I suppose so.
DO THEY CONTROL YOU? :psyduck:

Funnypost Collabo posted:

I "strongly disagree"d with every single one of those and wrote a comment about how absolutely ludicrous they sounded to me.

God yes.

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer

Hazdoc posted:

Well, this sure was a weird one. I really hope people don't go down the route of "I OBEY MY AVATAR" or incredibly weirdo poo poo like that, but I wouldn't write that off as something that never happens. I've definitely seen a few of the crazies before, perhaps the rabbit hole really is that deep.

I once knew a person who would marvel out-of-character at the things his avatar did, or claim that he couldn't muzzle the character because he wasn't in control. He was as obnoxious, drama-prone, and motherfucking crazy as this survey might suggest.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scags
Nov 12, 2005
I won a gift card! Thanks, OP!

• Locked thread