Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Me bad posting? That's unpossible!
Lipstick Apathy
fix this affront to art and gaming admins

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

notZaar posted:

fix this affront to art and gaming admins

Mr. Pumroy
May 20, 2001

uh, no don't. then i'd have to scroll way down the screen to get to the games link

Mr. Pumroy
May 20, 2001

and if it's in arts then i might misclick and go to cd where people argue for pages whether or not a super hero movie is fascist. (i mean of course it's fascist, jfc)

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

no citizen kane no go, now gently caress off

Ekster
Jul 18, 2013

- David Cage

Jackie D
May 27, 2009

Democracy is like a tambourine - not everyone can be trusted with it.

Palpek posted:

no citizen kane no go, now gently caress off

At least two last year, maybe you should stop wallowing in filth and play some Bioshock Infinite??

Sir John Feelgood
Nov 18, 2009

if video games were fine art, gamers would hate them

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

Sir John Feelgood posted:

Not true, bbecause they are, and I love them

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Lipstick Apathy

whats the opposite of a tautology? i ask because that's exactly what you've done here

Falsum
May 10, 2013

Crazy for the Bros

Mr. Pumroy posted:

and if it's in arts then i might misclick and go to cd where people argue for pages whether or not a super hero movie is fascist. (i mean of course it's fascist, jfc)

Unlike Games in which people argued whether or not Skyrim is fascist.

Face it grandpa games are the voice of our generation and it's offensive that they aren't in the fine arts section.

David Copperfield
Mar 14, 2004

im david copperfield
the ghost of roger ebert's curse

Falsum
May 10, 2013

Crazy for the Bros
Most of those old farts will never experience the magnificence of Bioshock Infinite, The Last of US or any of the David Cage games because they're stuck in their old ways.

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Lipstick Apathy
all those titles you listed are just movies pretending to be interactive art. the true art games are the ones with great controls and graphics, such as bayonetta and devil may cry.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

Mr. Pumroy posted:

you think this movie sucks? heh, maybe you just haven't managed to grasp the subtext of it all

Falsum
May 10, 2013

Crazy for the Bros

notZaar posted:

all those titles you listed are just movies pretending to be interactive art. the true art games are the ones with great controls and graphics, such as bayonetta and devil may cry.

No, you're wrong and dumb.

The true games are the ones who manage to transcend limitations such as gameplay in order to tell a mature, emotional story that I can relate to.

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

All games are art, literally all of them

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
but is it high art???

Mr. Pumroy
May 20, 2001

ever since roger ebert told pasty dumbasses who cried because aeris died that video games aren't art bad developers have broken their backs making bad games to try and prove him wrong and it's awesome that his taunts have haunted gaming even after his death roger ebert owns.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

Mr. Pumroy posted:

ever since roger ebert told pasty dumbasses who cried because aeris died that video games aren't art bad developers have broken their backs making bad games to try and prove him wrong and it's awesome that his taunts have haunted gaming even after his death roger ebert owns.

the best was this tweet, pinnacle of class

double lol considering everyone realized B:I was poo poo for babies less than a month later, and eventually everyone promptly forgot about it for new hotness last of us

(which is actually a pro game with both solid story and gameplay)

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Lipstick Apathy

Neurolimal posted:

but is it high art???

Euro games are high art. Japanese games are wood art. Western games are dark art.

Plebian Parasite
Oct 12, 2012

giggle giggle games are.... fart! giggle tee hee

Sir John Feelgood
Nov 18, 2009

Neurolimal posted:

double lol considering everyone realized B:I was poo poo for babies less than a month later, and eventually everyone promptly forgot about it for new hotness last of us
same thing happened with gta 4 and mgs 4.

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

same thing happened with gta 4 and mgs 4.

Nobody forgets Metal gear Solid 4...

Schnedwob
Feb 28, 2014

my legs are okay
howsabout this: some games are art

some games... are not? feedback is appreciated

Mung Dynasty
Jul 19, 2003

Why do the peasants slave while the emperor gets to eat all the mung?!
games arent art but some of them have good artists on the dev team

Scyther
Dec 29, 2010

Ebert was right and games will never be art so stop trying to make games art and just make good games.

But Rocks Hurt Head
Jun 30, 2003

by Hand Knit
Pillbug

Schnedwob posted:

howsabout this: some games are art

some games... are not? feedback is appreciated

this is personally my favorite take on the subject

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

the phrase 'art' means literally nothing

we could probably posit that niggerstomper post as art if we weaved enough fancy bullshit words about it

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

Endorph posted:

the phrase 'art' means literally nothing

we could probably posit that niggerstomper post as art if we weaved enough fancy bullshit words about it

We could, and it is.

Dec 26, 2012

Scyther posted:

stop trying to make games art and just make good games.

Mr. Pumroy
May 20, 2001

bad games did not exist until someone decided games should be art. before then, all games were perfect. all games were good. the artification of games is equivalent to adam and eve biting the fruit of knowledge

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Schnedwob
Feb 28, 2014

my legs are okay
so then can we post games with good art in them?

I literally cannot stop sucking Zeno Clash 2's dick

• Locked thread