Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Femmefatel
Oct 23, 2004
When I'm good I'm very, very good but when I'm bad I'm better.
I'm a graduate student and I desperately need some help from anyone still in HS or middle school. I need at least 8 people to answer my 3 interpretative questions and give me 3 of your own. I have no idea how to go about this since it is the summer and school is out. I feel I should walk up to any young adult and offer them free candy if they will just inspect the inside of my van for me. Any advice or help would be seriously appreciated.

1. Why do you think the kids though Jake wouldn’t make a good leader for the group?
2. Why did Astrid hide from everyone for so long?
3. Why did Jake run away from the group?

edit: took out part of the assignment that I don't have to do.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
Who the gently caress are Jake and Astrid??

MartingaleJack
Aug 26, 2004

I'll split you open and I don't even like coconuts.
1. Why do you think the kids though Jake wouldn’t make a good leader for the group?

When Jake was found passed out and tied up in the cave in chapter three, his pants were down around his ankles. Initially the children thought Jake had been molested by the fur trappers. The truth was that Jake had done it to himself--a fact Astrid only realized after the flashback to her Uncle Jack's funeral, who died in Singapore the year earlier from autoerotic asphyxiation. When Astrid told the group Jake was a "wanker in the first degree", they believed Astrid, because she had not previously been exposed as a wanker.

2. Why did Astrid hide from everyone for so long?

She feared reprocussions after it was discovered that she too was a wanker.

3. Why did Jake run away from the group?

He was a wanker.

Captain Mog
Jun 17, 2011
Isn't this the book where the author calls a thirteen year old girl a "slut"? I often read reviews of YA literature as a HS English teacher and this book really offended me.

Actually yes it is and here's the quote in question, courtesy of its Goodreads page:

quote:

“Enough!” Josie said. “We get it, okay? You’re sexy and you want to have sex with these guys. We get it. But, honey, it’s not going to happen because you are thirteen. Thir. Teen. Do you understand what I’m saying?”
“I’m fourteen in less than an month,” Sahalia answered.
“Go and put some clothes on,” Josie commanded her, pushing her out of the aisle.

Perhaps you should talk about how this type of thing perpetuates unhealthy ideas and is endemic in literature for young readers?

Captain Mog fucked around with this message at 17:23 on Jul 7, 2014

• Locked thread