Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
njaa
Aug 20, 2007
Hi goons!

Problem description: About a month ago I built myself a new desktop computer. From the start there has been this persisting problem: from time to time my main monitor (connected to HMDI) loses contact (screen turns black and the light starts blinking as the computer was shut down) and my secondary monitor (which is connected to DVI slot per VGA-DVI adapter) becomes the main monitor, and the screen resolution changes. This has happened randomly while browsing, while playing games, after restarting from sleep mode and after a shutdown - about 10 times total so far. Getting it to work again is random as well - once it worked after reinstalling drivers and restarting; also it worked for a couple of days after i reinstalled the video card to the mother board. Usually I have been able to get it to work again just by unplugging and plugging the monitor cables and restarting a couple of times. And then it might work for a couple of days and the problem might arise again. The monitors should be fine as i just took the from my previous system and there hasn't been a problem with them. What i noticed last time i took the video card out was that two of the pins were shorter than the others http://imgur.com/G0FbFfT,CEXkyj3#1, so perhaps the problem is hardware related? I came seeking for your help because logically as the computer is handling the dual monitor setup fine most of the time, hardware issues felt more unlikely.

Attempted fixes: I have tried to reinstall video card drivers a couple of times, unplugged monitors abd reinstalled the video card to the motherboard.

Recent changes: Problem has been around since after installing the operation system.

--

Operating system: Windows 8.1 Pro

System specs:
Memory - Crucial DDR3 8GB kit (4GBx2) DDR3 Ballistix Sport UDIMM 240pin, 1600 MT/s, PC3-12800, CL9, 1.5V
Cooler - Cooler Master CPU Cooler Hyper 212 Evo
Power - SeaSonic G Series 550W
Video - MSI GeForce 700 Series GTX 760 2GB Twin Frozr
Processor: Intel® Core™ i5-4590 Processor
Motherboard: Asus Socket 1150 H97M-E Asus Socket 1150 H97M-E
HDD: WD RED NASWARE HDD SATA 2TB 6GB/S 64MB/WD20EFRX
SSD: SAMSUNG SSD 840 EVO 250GB SATAIII DESKTOP KIT (MZ-7TE250KW)

I have Googled and read the FAQ: Yes

Your help is much appreciated!

njaa fucked around with this message at 14:28 on Jun 17, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flagrama
Jun 19, 2010

Lipstick Apathy
First thing I would check would be the HDMI cable. It could be coming loose for some reason. You could also try a different HDMI cable and see if you still have the issue. I've found that generally if it is no longer able to detect the monitor the issue is the HDMI cable or one of the HDMI ports.

njaa
Aug 20, 2007
Thanks for the response!
Come to think of it, there used to be instances with my old computer setup (but with the same primary monitor and the same HDMI cable) when the monitor would switch off but restart again in a second or two with no changes in the resolution. I never turned much attention to it because it happened rarely.
I'll try to acquire another monitor and/or a HDMI cable and report back with the results.

njaa
Aug 20, 2007
I managed to get another HDMI cable and there is some improvement. Instead of shutting completely down, the monitor switches off for a second but then comes back around (the system recognizes it instantly) and there is no change in the resolution - basically the same problem I had with the previous system. So it seems the problem is indeed with either of the HDMI ports, most probably the monitor one. I'll try to get another HDMI monitor and report with the results!

njaa
Aug 20, 2007
I managed to find time to try the setup with another primary monitor and there was no problems at all. So it must be the HDMI port. Thanks again!

• Locked thread