Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bigntasty
Oct 15, 2003
Ever since upgrading to windows 8 and 8.1 I can't enter sleep or hibernate mode. The monitors will turn off but and I can't wake up the computer. I don't think it is acutally entering sleep mode as I can still hear the harddrive working and the fans are on. It happens everytime I enter sleep mode. I have to hold down the power button and do a hard reboot. Otherwise the computer runs fine (but I imagine not being able to sleep the computer is costing me ~50-100$ a year and is not very environmentally friendly.
I've googled extensively and haven't gotten anything to work.

One thing I saw when google someone mentioned that the keyboard won't let me turn on CAPS lock when its in it's frozen state and they pointed out that this implys a hardware problem rather than a software one. Is this true?

Things I have tried:
Reintalling chipset drivers
Chaning BIOS settings to S1 sleep and disabling Deep power off, (I have the newest bios from Gateway circa 2011)
powercfg.exe -energy (didn't show me much)
Safe mode
Disabled windows media center.
Reinstalled ATI drivers.
Formatted and reinstalled windows 8.

Things I can try if you think they may be useful
Taking out my graphics card and installing the on board graphics.

What else should I try before I buy a new motherboard? Is there any way to get logs to tell me what is happening the powercfg.exe -energy does not actually put the comp to sleep.

Computer
Gateway DX4850-27e
Windows 8.1 64 bit (upgraded from windows 7 pro)
Core i5 2300
6gb ddr3 665mhz
ATI HD 6850 (Upgraded from stock)
antec 430W (Upgraded from stock)
Corsair Force GT 128GB SSD

Bigntasty fucked around with this message at 14:27 on Jun 17, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bigntasty
Oct 15, 2003
My current thought is it is some sort of bios incompatibility with windows 8, as it was working fine with Windows 7. I just want to exhaust all other possiblities before I drop 100$ and 6 hours installing a new mother board only for it to still not work.

Bigntasty
Oct 15, 2003
It does the same thing if I try to soft shutdown the computer. Although it is fine if I do a restart. Is there some kind of error log I can get to or create so I can see where this problem is coming from.

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

Dehumanize yourself and face to Trumpshed
College Slice
Have you installed the latest BIOS update for the motherboard? Is there a particular reason you are using Windows 8.1 instead of Windows 7 when none of your hardware requires it or even fully supports it?

• Locked thread