Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DuckHuntDog
May 13, 2004

Mandatory DAEP for vapes is obviously a really bad idea, and a great way to absolutely overload every DAEP across the state, but it is interesting that Bryan ISD got an exemption partly because they were already testing them for THC immediately. Drugs were already one of the mandatory reasons to get sent anyway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Back Hack
Jan 17, 2010

Dameius posted:

01. They're told not to do it
02. Good marketing
03. An array of flavors
04. Grownups don't like it when they do it
05. They're told not to do it.

e:

:hmmyes:

06. They're stressed the gently caress out.

Jake Gittes
Jul 11, 2006

me irl
a lot to unpack here

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OKlJ7utnaSs

Jake Gittes
Jul 11, 2006

me irl
spoiler alert: there's no injustice

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

I have a Comms degree :)

https://twitter.com/voxdotcom/status/1779880844372463696

I saw this the other day and I was like "I bet this isn't true, I'm not even going to read it" (we're one of the states) and

https://twitter.com/wyatt_privilege/status/1780599360394608721

Progressive oriented media needs to stop lying to its readers for clicks, it's doing the republican's job for them. Like going around bleating that "it's soooo hard to vote in Texas", people hear that, believe you and then don't even bother.

zoux fucked around with this message at 15:51 on Apr 17, 2024

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006

zoux posted:

I have a Comms degree :)

https://twitter.com/voxdotcom/status/1779880844372463696

I saw this the other day and I was like "I bet this isn't true, I'm not even going to read it" (we're one of the states) and

https://twitter.com/wyatt_privilege/status/1780599360394608721

Progressive oriented media needs to stop lying to its readers for clicks, it's doing the republican's job for them. Like going around bleating that "it's soooo hard to vote in Texas", people hear that, believe you and then don't even bother.

Care to post what did happen?

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Dameius posted:

Care to post what did happen?

The Vox article (which I've now had to read f u) says that if anyone commits a crime at a protest you organized, you are liable.

zoux fucked around with this message at 15:55 on Apr 17, 2024

dalstrs
Mar 11, 2004

At least this way my kill will have some use
Dinosaur Gum
Unless I am misunderstanding, it sounds like it makes it a lot riskier to lead a protest to me. If anything illegal happens at a protest you know cops here will charge the organizers as well.

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

The fifth circuit always does crazy things and SCOTUS doesn't always feel the need to intervene.

duz fucked around with this message at 16:30 on Apr 17, 2024

dalstrs
Mar 11, 2004

Dinosaur Gum
The tweet a couple post up says "The 5th Circuit held that protest organizers..."

Held usually implies a decision has been made. If the SCOUTS doesn't intervene wouldn't that mean the 5th's decision stands?

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

DeRay McKesson was leading a protest, and he led them up on a bridge. Someone threw a rock and hit a cop, the cop sued DeRay as the protest organizer, a lower court threw it out and the 5th held 2-1 that the suit can proceed. That's what happened.

dalstrs
Mar 11, 2004

Dinosaur Gum
Thanks for the clarification. Not as bad as the headlines make it, but still pretty bad. Allowing the case to go forward just gives cops another avenue to make organizing protests risky. Whether he wins or loses, he is still paying lawyer fees and losing his time to defend himself.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Here's SCOTUSBlog's more complete summary of the case

quote:

The Supreme Court on Monday declined to intervene in a lawsuit filed by a Louisiana police officer against a leader of the Black Lives Matter movement who organized a protest at which the police officer was seriously injured. The court’s denial of review in Mckesson v. Doe was part of a list of orders issued from the justices’ private conference last week.

The justices did not add any new cases to their docket for the 2024-25 term. The court currently has only two cases slated for argument in the upcoming term – less than half of what they had granted at this time last year for the 2023-24 term.

At issue in Mckesson was whether DeRay Mckesson can be held responsible for the officer’s injuries when he did not directly harm the officer himself but instead organized the demonstration and, the officer said, “knew or should have known” that violence would result.

The case is one with which the justices were already familiar. In 2019, the U.S. Court of Appeals for the 5th Circuit allowed the officer’s lawsuit to go forward. Mckesson then appealed to the Supreme Court, where he argued that the lawsuit against him was barred by the First Amendment and the Supreme Court’s 1982 decision in NAACP v. Claiborne Hardware Co., which limited the NAACP’s liability for a nonviolent protest that it organized.

In November 2020, the court sent the case back to the 5th Circuit with instructions to seek guidance from the Louisiana Supreme Court on whether state law would in fact allow Mckesson to be held liable.

After the Louisiana Supreme Court issued an opinion indicating that, under the facts alleged by the officer, a protest leader could be sued for negligence, a divided 5th Circuit issued a new opinion allowing the lawsuit to go forward. Doe had alleged, the majority wrote, that Mckesson had “organized and directed the protest in such a manner as to create an unreasonable risk that one protester would assault or batter” the officer.

Judge Don Willett dissented from the panel’s ruling. He agreed that Doe “deserves justice” and should be able to sue the person who actually injured him. But he rejected the idea that Doe can sue Mckesson, arguing that the theory on which the majority relied was “foreclosed — squarely — by the Constitution and Supreme Court precedent.”

Mckesson returned to the Supreme Court last fall, asking the justices to weigh in. But after considering the case at seven consecutive conferences, the justices denied review.

Justice Sonia Sotomayor penned a statement regarding the court’s decision to deny review. She noted that since the court of appeals issued its decision, the Supreme Court in Counterman v. Colorado “made clear that the First Amendment bars the use of an objective standard like negligence for punishing speech, and it read Claiborne and other incitement cases as demanding a showing of intent.” Because the Supreme Court may turn down cases “for many reasons,” Sotomayor stressed, the denial of review in Mckesson’s case “expresses no review about the merits of” his claim. Moreover, she added, the court of appeals should “give full and fair consideration to arguments regarding Counterman’s impact in any future proceedings in this case.”

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

https://twitter.com/TexasSkyTrails/status/1779579134642925962

What's even the conspiracy here, that the government/jews/lizard people control the moon

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

zoux posted:

DeRay McKesson was leading a protest, and he led them up on a bridge. Someone threw a rock and hit a cop, the cop sued DeRay as the protest organizer, a lower court threw it out and the 5th held 2-1 that the suit can proceed. That's what happened.

It's definitely not "abolishing the right to mass protest" but this does seem very bad

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

the UK banned all tobacco sales for people born after 2008, forever

it passed overwhelmingly too. i assume we'll get a vote like this sometime in the 2050s

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Yeah except they don't grow tobacco in key swing, uh, shires or whatever the hell they call them.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

after the last decade of lovely texas-made bourbon i figured we'd get bespoke Galveston Tobacco Co. cigars or w/e

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

i say swears online posted:

after the last decade of lovely texas-made bourbon i figured we'd get bespoke Galveston Tobacco Co. cigars or w/e

With that built in refinery/cruise ship smog flavor.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

https://twitter.com/davidhogg111/status/1780276792898593181

lol

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
So if maga people are protesting Joe Byron or whatever, can I show up, punch someone in the face, and then send the organizers to jail?

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006

idk about profitable levels, but it's only insane that we don't have it if you're not familiar with how hosed up this state is.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
We don't have decent rail in Texas because it's a battle between Republicans wanting to protect rural farmland from commie train companies and Republicans wanting to oppress poor people by stealing their land for public projects.

Arcella
Dec 16, 2013

Shiny and Chrome
Ok I’ve arrived in Houston/Austin without a car and it’s July now what

Oop I’m dead

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

Arcella posted:

Ok I’ve arrived in Houston/Austin without a car and it’s July now what

Oop I’m dead

Did you know people fly into Houston and Austin in July all the time and are not automatically provided with a car upon arrival

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

And each and every one of them die.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

hell yeah taking the new modern train from austin to houston. i drive from my suburban tract house in elgin to the austin station, pay for parking and take the train to downtown houston, where i start walking to meet my friends in cypress

Arcella
Dec 16, 2013

Shiny and Chrome

Badger of Basra posted:

Did you know people fly into Houston and Austin in July all the time and are not automatically provided with a car upon arrival

Prove it

Sab0921
Aug 2, 2004

This for my justices slingin' thangs, rib breakin' kings / Truck, necklace, robe, gavel and things / For the solicitors seein' them dissents spin and grin / That robe with the lace trim that win.
Can confirm - I moved to Houston in July in the mid 90's and Im dead.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

You can go from Austin to Houston by train, you go to the bigger city nearby, and then go from San Antonio to Houston. It takes 16 hours, 3 hours from Austin to San Antonio, 5 hours from San Antonio to Houston, and then 8 hours waiting at the station because the schedules aren't really aligned right.

The bigger issue is a cross between Amtrak not getting enough funding or authority to have useful passenger trains in the west, as well as the general lack of train culture to ensure that the populace would take full advantage of expanded service and make it worth Amtrak's effort.

But if you want, you can go over to those Dallas high speed rail people to go looking for a technological solution that won't ever be built.

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

Cojawfee posted:

So if maga people are protesting Joe Byron or whatever, can I show up, punch someone in the face, and then send the organizers to jail?

No, but depending on how the lawsuit goes, the person who was punched might be able to successfully sue the organizers for damages.

poemdexter
Feb 18, 2005

Hooray Indie Games!

College Slice

Cojawfee posted:

I'm imagining a scenario where Rittenhouse did his thing after this was in effect and successfully countersued the organizers.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Technically that is actually happening and still in progress, although resolving a planned murder via liability in a civil trial is the result of a failure of the criminal courts.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

SlothfulCobra posted:

You can go from Austin to Houston by train, you go to the bigger city nearby, and then go from San Antonio to Houston. It takes 16 hours, 3 hours from Austin to San Antonio, 5 hours from San Antonio to Houston, and then 8 hours waiting at the station because the schedules aren't really aligned right.

The bigger issue is a cross between Amtrak not getting enough funding or authority to have useful passenger trains in the west, as well as the general lack of train culture to ensure that the populace would take full advantage of expanded service and make it worth Amtrak's effort.

But if you want, you can go over to those Dallas high speed rail people to go looking for a technological solution that won't ever be built.

Don't forget that the freight companies that own the rails won't allow Amtrak to use certain lines because there's no time for the amtrak trains to go on them despite the rails being completely unused.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

https://twitter.com/PatrickSvitek/status/1780962954323619986

I'm sorry, the loving what

Arcella
Dec 16, 2013

Shiny and Chrome
Flyers with Briscoe Cain in extreme drag makeup raining from the heavens

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

smh get on insta bruh

Waffle House
Oct 27, 2004

You follow the path
fitting into an infinite pattern.

Yours to manipulate, to destroy and rebuild.

Now, in the quantum moment
before the closure
when all become one.

One moment left.
One point of space and time.

I know who you are.

You are Destiny.

zoux posted:

The Vox article (which I've now had to read f u) says that if anyone commits a crime at a protest you organized, you are liable.

RE: January 6th Riot: lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

https://twitter.com/taygoldenstein/status/1781337936337793132

quote:

Paxton's office is likely to appeal the decision to the Texas Supreme Court. If the case is allowed to go to trial, the attorney general could face private or public sanctions, ranging from a warning to disbarment. Texas law does not require the attorney general to hold bar membership.