Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mystes
May 31, 2006

nielsm posted:

To display a map with your own overlay, you can look into OpenStreetMap.
You can't just use openstreetmap directly (you aren't allowed to use its tile servers for your own apps). You either have to do some very complicated stuff to convert the map for the whole world to tiles and host them yourself or use a third party tile provider service.

Edit: Basically unless you want to use google maps or mapbox, you should probably start by using leaflet, openlayers, or MapLibre with a tile provider (I think a bunch of them have free tiers), and then you can always switch between them or try to self host the tiles later. It's getting easier to self host the tiles so even if you don't want to that now it may be completely trivial soon and if you're using one of those map libraries it should be easy to switch whenever you want to.

mystes fucked around with this message at 21:29 on Apr 5, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Funking Giblet
Jun 28, 2004

Jiglightful!

CitizenKeen posted:

I wrote the app using Razor Pages as an HTMX experiment; had I known what I was doing I probably would have used Vue with a more traditional API model. Not writing any Javascript was a fun idea when it was just for fun.

I wouldn't rush to swap to Vue, you can do a lot with simple HTML + HTMX with a little JavaScript. I've built a large ecom platform and we are removing all of our React and moving to more static file approach with HTMX. The performance increase in rendering is probably 100x.

Mr Shiny Pants
Nov 12, 2012

Funking Giblet posted:

I wouldn't rush to swap to Vue, you can do a lot with simple HTML + HTMX with a little JavaScript. I've built a large ecom platform and we are removing all of our React and moving to more static file approach with HTMX. The performance increase in rendering is probably 100x.

I did not keep up with the Javascript/Web stuff that much, but from what I've seen from HTMX it looks pretty elegant.

mystes
May 31, 2006

If you already want to render everything on the server but then do progressive enhancement primarily through dynamically loading html fragments rather than reloading the whole page, like what used to be common, htmx is a very good option in 2024 for doing that without having to manually write any javascript, but imo it's not necessarily as novel or exciting as some people are making it out to be.

I don't think it's helpful to even think of it as "vue" vs "htmx" as competing frameworks or something. The first question is whether you want to write something as an SPA / render stuff on the client (but maybe add back server rending using something like next.js for SEO or performance) or use traditional server rendering, and if you choose the latter, htmx may be useful.

I do think that some of the htmx hype is because people who don't know what the web was like 20 years ago and are only used to stuff like react or vue are looking at traditional server rendering for the first time and only seeing the ways it seems to be simpler than having a separate frontend making api calls, but maybe not seeing the other ways that approach can actually be more complicated (e.g. having to have a bunch of view state temporarily stored on the server for each session when you're doing anything remotely complicated). But that's not to say that it's a bad approach either; it worked for a really long time and it can still work perfectly fine in 2024.

mystes fucked around with this message at 19:20 on Apr 14, 2024