Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jack Deth
May 29, 2005

Welcome to the 21st century.
So,

turns out I am the lead writer for a videogame now, The Detail to be specific. Since this is by far the most interesting thing I've done with my life in the recent past, I thought I might share something about it with you.

Here's the official line on the title:

The Detail is a new adventure game from Rival Games that takes the player to the streets of a crime-ridden city and into the shoes of Reginald "Reggie" Moore, a veteran detective grown frustrated with the lack of justice, and Joseph "Joe" Miller, a former confidential informant now dragged back into the life of crime he barely escaped. The player will need to investigate criminal activity, scenes of murder, arrest suspects and interrogate them for information, all while trying to navigate the pitfalls of an underworld where every choice holds consequences. Inspired by classic adventure games from Westwood and LucasArts and new series from Telltale Games, combining HBO's cop drama The Wire and with hand-drawn graphic novel art driven by the Unity engine, The Detail promises to raise the bar for dramatic interactive narrative. Due for release in 2014 on most popular tablet devices, as well as PC, Mac, and Linux.

There's a fresh trailer too, all pretty and whatnot: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MD4YKsp6KyM

So we are in point'n'click territory here, but we don't think pixel hunting equals detective work, so don't worry about that now. Also, that whole 'rub a skunk onto a ferris wheel to receive bacon' kind of puzzle solving is a bit old hat, so we've been investing more in the story and the characters here. This of course puts a bit of pressure on me, but hey, guess that's what they pay me for.

I fancy we actually provide the players with more meaningful choices than Telltale has in the recent past, making things a little more interesting for everyone. We'll see how it turns out.

We are going for the Greenlight now, so hey, if you fancy what we got going on, maybe leave a comment or give a thumbs up. Reckon everyone would appreciate it at this end.

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=270003945

If you got some questions for me in particular, then I can of course answer them here as well, that's what threads like these are for I figure.

Oh, and if you are hankering to know more about the studio, we got a page for that too: http://rival-games.com/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the black husserl
Feb 25, 2005

I think it's kind of pretentious to compare your narrative to the "The Wire" when the dialogue in the trailer is so full of hardboiled cop drama cliches.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:
In a post Demon Rush world he could just copy and paste the script from a Final Fantasy game and I'd still be down with the writing.

This does seem pretty cool. And honestly today most people in the target audience for something like this are going to think "The Wire" when they think cop show, so it seems a fair enough way to advertise.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
"You keep asking youself if you would've gone down another path...but you don't... because that's who you are" as the music crescendos and images of violence and crudely drawn characters splash across the screen. This isn't comparable to The Best Television Show Ever, or one of the best adventure games since the the 90s. From all appearances it's trying to be Gritty Hardboiled Cop Drama: The Game.

Come the gently caress on, Telltale has made some amazing games, and trying to tout your shoddily made title as being somehow better reeks of desperation and poorly conceived PR. You've told us almost nothing about the game and spend half your pitch comparing it to studios that pioneered the point and click adventure genre, a highly critically acclaimed TV show, and a critically acclaimed recent point and click game.

But hey, maybe your story isn't poo poo, maybe the characters are actually complex and flawed in realistic ways that make them engaging to the player, but your attempt to sell it to us, plus the really, really lovely trailer has made this a joke.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.
More games should invest themselves in police procedural territory, but I'm really not digging the art-style.

xutech
Mar 4, 2011

EIIST

Writing and design is tough. Good luck!

wid
Sep 7, 2005
Living in paradise (only bombed once)
I like the setting and the story potential but the visual approach doesn't seem to work. Seems like something like Phoenix Wright approach to the scene interaction would have been better.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

xutech posted:

Writing and design is tough. Good luck!
Cubes are also really hard.

BottledBodhisvata
Jul 26, 2013

by Lowtax
This looks like Heavy Rain but somehow more crap

testtubebaby
Apr 7, 2008

Where we're going,
we won't need eyes to see.

Looks bad, sounds bad... turns out you are the lead writer for a bad videogame now

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine
So when do you fight the cow? All good adventure games have a fighting cow.

That and this really doesn't seem all that advanced compared to the anime visual novels. Like the Walking Dead had fully 3D environments. The trailer makes it look like you're getting your hand held as you are dragged through the story with minimal interaction from the player.

The Taint Reaper fucked around with this message at 18:11 on Jun 27, 2014

OldMemes
Sep 5, 2011

I have to go now. My planet needs me.
A proper Law and Order style police procedural game sounds like a cool idea, but this seems like a newgrounds flash game. If your marketing is based around character and story, you need to show them off properly. Get the target audience pumped for the product - show us the complex characters and difficult moral choices the characters will have to make.

There's a potenial for a good game here, the presentation needs work.

Jack Deth
May 29, 2005

Welcome to the 21st century.
Thanks for the encouragement guys, it is the warmth that I've come to love and expect here over the years.

But yeah, we're going for our first game here, so there's no doubt that we've got a lot left to learn. Telltale didn't exactly produce winners in the beginning either though so, we're hoping to improve the way they did. I admire the gently caress out of their more recent games, but they constantly annoy me with their lack of actual choices, so I am hoping to give that to players myself. Admittedly it is a lot easier when we don't have voice acting.

It probably should be pointed out again, that not all of what you've been seeing so far is final. Still plenty of polishing left for us to do. Also, I don't really handle the marketing side of things, and it does focus quite a bit on the graphics. Still, it is pretty hard to give you character and story without spoiling too much of the game.

Something that we learned recently is that making interactive trailers for Youtube is a horrifying chore. Still, I am sure you'll enjoy the fruits of our labor just as much as you have so far.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HVHUo75ezoA

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cat doter
Jul 27, 2006

gonna need more cheese...australia has a lot of crackers
Please, for the love of god, if you're a writer for ANYTHING, not just video games, if you're about to spit out some tired cliche, just try and think of something else. Don't be that guy.

• Locked thread