Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
EvilGenius
May 2, 2006
Death to the Black Eyed Peas
Song Title: Faust
Artist: Evil Genius
URL: https://soundcloud.com/anevilgenius
Genre: Dubstep? Maybe? Prodigyesque.
File Size: Stream (sry, couldn't find a download option).
Song length: 05:50

Hello -

Here is the first song from my Evil Genius project, called Faust (named after a classic 1926 horror movie/story). It's got a dubstep style rhythm, but with more of a melodic theme. It's quite soundtracky I'm told, and like something out the Matrix, but totally evil sounding.

I spent a lot of time on the mix, and I realise this is stream only (if anyone could give advice on where and how to upload an mp3 that would be great) but feedback on the mix would be much appreciated, along with general thoughts on the song itself. Bonus points for spotting 3 fairly obscure samples!

Evil Genius is about tongue-in-cheek darkness, loudness, and noise. Play in the dark, play loud, and indulge your inner evil.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

phybersyko
Dec 8, 2003
When hell is full, the dead will walk the Earth.
You've got some really good ideas. The beats are great and the stereo panorama stuff in the latter 3rd of the track is fun. I'm not sure what sampling rate you're using for the stream but things do sound a bit muddied. (it might be my headphone setup -- not sure)

I think the thing that helps most to build tension these kind of (HorrorStep?) tracks is space. The listener needs time to get into the track and sort of immerse themselves in the sonic textures of the piece. Your track gets into the beats early on and kind of spoils that (IMHO) very necessary immersion. Of course, the whole point is not for music to be formulaic -- I really like what you've got going on -- keep it up!

• Locked thread