Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fuck them
Jan 21, 2011

and their bullshit
:yotj:
Problem description: I have two monitors hooked up to my Radeon 7950 right now. One is a DCLLCD 1680 x 1050 monitor (the one which does this) and the other is an ASUS 1080p monitor that works fine. Sometimes when I play a game or play a video in a browser, the DCLLCD shits the bed. See picture below.

Attempted fixes: I tried to reset the DVI cables at the card and monitor. I'll turn off the hosed up monitor and try to turn it back on. The only 'fixes' that work are rebooting or, usually, just stopping the video playback.

Recent changes: The only recent change I made to the desktop was a water cooler for my cpu because of a memory swap; the old air cooler interfered. watch_dogs is the only new software to coincide with the start of the monitor going out of sync, though oddly enough I can throw a browser up on the little monitor while I play on the big and it works fine! It's just embedded video.

--

Operating system: Windows 7 x64

System specs: Home built: Core i5 2500K, Radeon 7950, 16GB of ram, onboard sound, mediocre netgear USB dongle wifi with a little dongle holder.

I have Googled and read the FAQ: Yes/No

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

Is it possible to switch the DVI cables and plugs temporarily to see what happens?

optik
Jul 6, 2005
linux is a pathway to many abilities..... some consider to be un-natural

Zogo posted:

Is it possible to switch the DVI cables and plugs temporarily to see what happens?

Yeah, it could be that the cables you are using aren't passing all the freqs/resolutions the monitor can handle and forces the OS to guess.

I don't know of a program within Windows to show the output of this information but a simple swap of the cables is a good start, also a swap of the ports used on the GPU could also be a valid step.

Fuck them
Jan 21, 2011

and their bullshit
I swapped what went into what port on the video card, so the default monitor was the big one. No difference.

I haven't swapped cables yet, though. I'll give that shot.

What kills me is that it's only ever when video plays, be it a movie player or in a browser, but it's intermittent.

What should I try after that?

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

Dehumanize yourself and face to Trumpshed
College Slice
Have you tried updating to the latest AMD Catalyst Beta drivers? (Release drivers are not recommended for AMD cards due to the delay involved in MS certification.)

Fuck them
Jan 21, 2011

and their bullshit
Updated drivers aaaaaaaaaaand...

Pusheen video hosed up the big monitor instead :D

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

Well we know it's not the monitor at least. Is that with the cables completely switched or just the plugs switched?

Fuck them
Jan 21, 2011

and their bullshit
After I switched the plugs it was still the small monitor.

With the new driver and plugs still switched, it's now the big monitor. But it hasn't done it since.

This is very, very odd.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

gently caress them posted:

After I switched the plugs it was still the small monitor.

That means that the video card outputs and cables are probably okay.

I'd probably run DDU http://www.wagnardmobile.com/DDU/ and then reinstall the latest beta drivers.

• Locked thread